The Hoax of the Three Days and Three Nights

The Hoax of the Three Days and Three Nights

On the third day or in three days, simply means after a short period of time. (Hosea 6:2)

Night or day for three days, as we have in the request of Esther to fast for her, means three days or three nights whether one follows the tradition to fast by day or by night. Those terms were used here because it was in the Diaspora where most Persians followed the tradition to fast by night. So, Esther’s maids who were not Jewish, would share Esther’s pain by showing their solidarity with their night fast. (Esther 4:16)

The case of Jonah dispenses all explanation because it happened during a vision. Therefore metaphorical language. That could be the entire three days and three nights, since everything is possible in a vision or dream. (Jonah 2:1)

Now, for the three days and three nights we are talking about, for Jesus to spend in the tomb, according to Matthew 12:40, the writer must have had a very poor insight about parables or metaphorical language to draw his prophecy in the terms of Jonah,s allegory. If he had used the language of Esther or Hosea, he could have saved his prophecy from being a hoax, but now he must account for the whole three days and three nights or parts thereof.

We don’t even need another gospel writer to contradict the one of Matthew. This contradicts himself as he declares that the next day, the one following the Day of Preparation, the chief Priests asked Pilate for a guard of soldiers to watch the tomb area for three days. (Mat. 27:62-64) The Jewish Preparation Day is always Friday, and the following day is the Sabbath.

Then, after that Sabbath, as the first day was dawning, the women went to see the sepulcher, there was an earthquake, an “angel” came down from Heaven, removed the stone, and the tomb was empty. Someone had cheated the angel by raising Jesus from there long before the “angel” could at least be an eyewitness to the resurrection.

Based on the Jewish method that a whole day or night can be accounted for any part of the day or night, we can consider the first day for those minutes that took Joseph of Arimathea to get Jesus into the tomb before sunset. The first night from sunset to sundawn of Saturday, the second day from sundawn Saturday to sunset that Saturday, and the second night from sunset that Saturday to the sundawn of the first day. It was still dark when the women arrived at the tomb to find the tomb empty. Therefore we are missing a whole day and a whole night to save Matthew 12:40 from becoming a prophetical hoax and a classical contradiction in the NT.

Who volunteers to solve this puzzle?

Ben

Many people have questioned the accuracy of Jesus’ statement that “just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the sea monster, so shall the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth” (Matthew 12:40).

They ask, “How could Jesus have remained in the tomb three days and three nights if He was crucified on Friday and rose on Sunday?”

The accounts of His death and resurrection as given in the Gospels of

Matthew, Mark, Luke and John indicate that Jesus was crucified and buried on Friday, before sundown, which is the beginning of the next day for the Jews, and resurrected on the first day of the week, which is our Sunday, before sunrise.

This puts Jesus in the grave for part of Friday, the entire Sabbath, and part of Sunday. In other words, He was in the tomb two full nights, one full day and part of two days. Since this is clearly not three full, 24-hour days, do we have a problem of conflict with the prophecy of Jesus in Matthew 12:40?

The answer is no. Here are two solutions:

Jesus is recorded as saying, “The Son of man will rise again after three days” (Mark 8:31); and, “He will be raised again on the third day” (Matthew 16:21) -expressions that are used interchangeably. Also, Jesus spoke of His resurrection in John 2:19-22, stating that He would be raised up in three days (not the fourth day).

Matthew 27:63 gives weight to this idiomatic usage. After the Pharisees tell Pilate of the prediction of Jesus (“After three days I will rise again”), they ask for a guard to secure the tomb until the** third day**.

If the phrase, “after three days,” had not been interchangeable with the “third day,” the Pharisees certainly would have asked for a guard for the fourth day.

That the expression “one day and one night” was an idiom employed by the Jews for indicating a day, even when only a part of a day was indicated, can be seen also in the Old Testament.

For example, 1 Samuel says, “For he had not eaten bread or drunk water for three days and three nights,” and in the next verse, “My master left me behind … three days ago” (1 Samuel 30:12,13).

Just as clearly, Genesis 42:17 shows this idiomatic usage. Joseph imprisoned his brothers for three days; in verse 18, he speaks to them and releases them, all on the third day.

The phrases, “after three days” and “on the third day,” are not contradictory, either to each other or to Matthew 12:40, but simply idiomatic, interchangeable terms, a common mode of Jewish expression.

Another way to look at “three days and three nights” is to take into consideration the Jewish method of reckoning time. The Jewish writers have recorded in the commentaries on the Scriptures the principle governing the reckoning of time. Any part of a period was considered a full period. Any part of a day was reckoned as a complete day. The Babylonian Talmud (Jewish commentaries) relates that, “The portion of a day is as the whole of it.” 54

The Jerusalem Talmud (so designated because it was written in Jerusalem) says, “We have a teaching, ‘A day and a night are an Onah and the portion of an Onah is as the whole of it.’” 53 An Onah simply means, “a period of time.”

Even today we often use the same principle in reference to time. For example: Many couples hope their child will be born before midnight December 31. If born at 11:59 P.M., the child will be treated by the IRS as being born 365 days and 365 nights of that year. This is true even if 99.9 percent of the year has elapsed.

Is that all ya got?*

What about the “contradiction” of Judas’ death? If you want, I will be more than happy to prove how that one works. And just for the fun of it, I will even solve the so-called “Resurrection contradiction” if you want!!!

Jonah was NOT a vision.!

Three days does not mention 3 nights! On the third day means…on the third day.

Hope that helps

:cool:

Good job, shoewindow.

**Gee, BenMasada - looks like you’ve been shown the door, once again . . .:rolleyes:

Great, a liar calling the three days and three nights a hoax…oh the irony :smiley:

1 John 2:22
Who is a liar
but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ
he is antichrist

Jesus did not say He would be buried “three days and three nights”

Remember that His Body was only placed on the arcosolium of a borrowed tomb, which was hardly “buried”. Not even the customary anointing was done!

He said He would be “three days and nights” in the heart of the earth–in other words, the lower regions, or abode of the dead!

He descended to this region (variously called Hades, Hell, or Sheol) at His being nailed to the Cross, according to the teaching of the Orthodox Church.

“With your body, O Christ, you were in the tomb, with your soul in Sheol as God, in Paradise with the Thief, on the throne with Father and the Spirit, filling all things, yet yourself uncircumscribed,” as we sing on Pascha (Easter).

The three hours of darkness were a night.

So from Friday morning to the “three hours”: first day and a night. Friday afternoon to Friday night: second day and night. Saturday morning to Saturday night: third day and night.

Thus, our Lord, God, and Savior Jesus Christ hurried up time!

He was anointed when He was alive, though!

**I need to let you know that I am not demanding three days and three nights of 72 hours total. But since Matthew 12:40 specified three days and three nights, at least parts of a day and parts of a night must be taken into account to save the prophecy from becoming a hoax.

If Matthew 12:40 had said “In three days,” we would not be having this discussion. But he said three days AND three nights. Therefore, I am giving those few minutes of Friday before sunset as the first day, all night of Friday to Saturday as the first night, the whole day Saturday as the second day, and the night till before sundawn of Sunday as the second night. Where is the third day and third night? Sorry, but the man committed a blunder and there is no other way to look at it. **

You hoped in vain because it didn’t help. Matthew 12:40 does mention three days and three nights. So, at least parts of the days and parts of the night must be accounted for and there is nothing of the third day and of the third night.

Not so fast my friend! Take a look at my reply to him. He did say more and better than many here, but missed a piece or two of the puzzle.

I forgive your ad hominem because you don’t know what you are saying. A Jew can never be antichrist. Do you know why? Because Habakkuk says in 3:13 that Israel, the Jewish People is the anointed one of the Lord. Anointed one in Greek means Christ. If the Jews are the anointed one, it means they are the Christ of God. It means that antichrists are the anti-Jewish ones who offend the Jews because of jealousy, which is the root of all evil.

Nope, sorry Ben. Wrong again. This is the tale of a prophecy to save the people of Israel from the Babylonian Captivity. Obviously if they are not rescued then there is no Israel to whom God can send His Son.

Taking snippets of the old testament and trying to twist the words around to make your point is bad form.

So, let’s review: Habakkuk prophecies that God will save Israel from the Babylonian Captivity so that they can go back to the land of Israel. Even though they were captured because they left God, God honors His covenant and returns them home. This is all part of the plan as can be viewed when reading both the new and old testaments. Israel is back in Jerusalem and therefore is ready to receive their Messiah when He comes in about 600 years. Unfortunately they reject and kill Him.

Get it? Got it? Good!

Now please don’t start with anymore of the replacement theology crapola or talk about how Israel is the only son of Isaac or any of your usual tricks of the devil.

Thanks.

**The only reference to a son of God in the Scriptures that Jesus used to handle is in Exodus 4:22,23. “Israel is My Son; so let My Son go, so that he may serve Me.” Your idea of Jesus being son of God is Hellenistic and mythological.

The Jews did not kill Jesus; this is an antisemitic lie you are perpetuating from the lies of the NT. Even the late Pope John 23rd asked publicly from the Jewish People to forgive Christianity for this false accusation. As I can see, you don’t love this Pope for having recognized the truth, because you continue spreading the same accusation.**

At the time of the New Testament, didn’t they believe the day begins in the evening of the previous day? (which is also why we are not required to fast on Fridays if the Saturday is a Feast day :))

if you look at it that way, there’s no problem with Our Lord dying on Good Friday and rising again on Sunday.

It really was 3 days… not just a short amount of time.

Oh.

I almost forgot this is not a Catholic thread area.

Oh, Ben – you should know better – if you were a student of Scripture, that is.
any portion of a day, is included as part of a full day, according to Jewish custom - no matter how minute. Since t****he Jews reckoned part of a day as a full day, the ‘three days and three nights’ is plausible.

Look at the Book of Esther (4:16), where it says. "Go, assemble all the Jews who are found in Susa, and fast for me; do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maidens also will fast in the same way".**

**Later, in Esther 5:1 we read, "Now it came about on the third day that Esther put on her royal robes and stood in the inner court of the king’s palace in front of the king’s rooms, and the king was sitting on his royal throne in the throne room, opposite the entrance to the palace." **

**Esther went in to see the King on the third day - even though 3 days and nights were not completed, and even though she said to fast for 3 days and nights. **
This is a classic Old Testament example of the term "on the third day" being equivalent to "after three days."

Be more specific and count the three days and three nights. If you find them, you have saved Matthew 12:40 and your credibility will soar really high.

That’s okay. Don’t be afraid. We won’t bite.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.