The Holy Bible

Let us discuss:

1. The history of the Bible

2. Who declared its infallibility?

3. Why does our Bible have chapters and verses now while the original one had none? Who did that?

4. How many books were there in the original Bible?

Go!

I’ll toss out some comments.

History of the Bible.

Both the Old and New Testaments started out as Oral Tradition being passed from generation to generation by word of mouth.

1. Who declared its infallibility?

The Scriptures are infallible in their originals because they are God’s written word.

1. Why does our Bible have chapters and verses now while the original one had none? Who did that?

To make the Latin easier to read. A Monk inserted the chapters and verses.

1. How many books were there in the original Bible?

It depends on how you look at it. The first Christian “Bible” was the Greek LXX of the Old Testament, and only the Old Testament. Because the New Testament was not even started until 20-30 after the beginning of Christianity. It wasn’t finished until nearly the end of the first century. Later the Catholic Church had to actually pare down what was developing as the New Testament because there were many other non-Scriptures writings being read as Scripture, with many additional “gospels” also appearing. The Catholic Church eventually decided that there were 72 books total that deserved to be called the Christian Scriptures.

books total that deserved to be called the Christian Scriptures.I think Bro Rich means 73 books. :slight_smile:

There goes my one mistake for the year and I still have over a month to go!!! LOL

1. Too long to answer.

2. Who declared its infallibility?

The United Catholic/Orthodox/Coptic Church. In the 300. Based on historical tradition.

1. Why does our Bible have chapters and verses now while the original one had none? Who did that?
    Stephen Langton, Archbishop of Canterbury and allegely one of Carta Magna framers added chapters and verses in the early 1200s.
  2. How many books were there in the original Bible?
    OT.
    Saducees and Samaritans. 5 books. Sola Torah people.
    Pharisees: 66 books.
    Hellenistic Jews, Early Christians and Escenes: 73+books.

It depends. If I recall correctly, there was question as to whether one of the books should be counted as two separate or one book.

where we got the bible
by rev. henry graham

Where We Got the Bible: Our Debt to the Catholic Church

There should be a book-“Where we the Church got our scriptures from for our Bibles----our debt to Israel.”

That might make sense if we were not the New Israel. But we are, so I guess it doesn’t make sense.

God declared it infallible when He gave it, 2 Tim 3:16; 2 Peter 1 :19-24. Where does it say that it is not fallible? Why would God give us a message that is not perfect?

The phrase “New Israel” does not appear in the Bible and the concept is not biblical.
First of all, Israel will be restored and the apostles will judge them.

Mat 19:28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel

Also, some day Israel will accept the Messiah

Mat 23:37 ¶ O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, [thou] that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under [her] wings, and ye would not!

Mat 23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.

Mat 23:39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed [is] he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

But the clincher is that Israel is still Israel even after the church age has begun:

Act 3:12 And when Peter saw [it], he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk?

And that occurs 3 or 4 other times in Acts.

Great topic.

New Israel is the Catholic Church. Words that describe the Church do not to be found in the bible, only adherents to the heretical doctrine of Sola Scriptura would expect everything to be in the bible that composes the Deposit of Faith. It implied the claim that this society now constituted the trueGod, that the Old Covenant was passing away, and that He, the promised Messias, was inaugurating a New Covenant with a New Israel.
Israel and the Church

Wise choice. Do not attempt to dispute the Bible on this one Hail Mary.

He added the chapters but the verses were added in the 1400s. I guess on that basis Anglicans should reject the verse chapters because they think the English monarch should select the Archbishop of Canterbury, and King John was excommunicated for 2 years because he refused to accept the Pope’s nomination of Langton but insisted on his own choice.

1. How many books were there in the original Bible?
    OT.
    Saducees and Samaritans. 5 books. Sola Torah people.
    Pharisees: 66 books.

You mean 39.

Hellenistic Jews, Early Christians and Escenes: 73+books.

You mean 46+. None of them regarded the NT as part of the Bible, and some of the NT wasn’t even written until after the Essenes and the Pharisees died out.

Circulus in probando. You cannot use the Bible as an evidence to prove its infallibility. There must be an outside authority to confirm it.

There is—it’s called “Salvation is from the Jews”. Haven’t had a chance to read it yet but it’s supposed to be very good.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.