The Holy Eucharist & the Abomination of Desolation

Because of the Corona virus, all masses are cancelled as well as the celebration of the Holy Eucharist. Could this be what Daniel 9, 11, & 12 be speaking of in regards to stopping the daily sacrifice (Holy Eucharist) and the desolation (cancellation of all masses) of Catholic churches?

“And he shall confirm the covenant with many, in one week: and in the half of the week the victim and the sacrifice shall fall: and there shall be in the temple the abomination of desolation: and the desolation shall continue even to the consummation, and to the end.” - Daniel 9:27

"And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall defile the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the continual sacrifice, and they shall place there the abomination unto desolation. - "Daniel 11:31

“And from the time when the continual sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination unto desolation shall be set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred ninety days,” - Daniel 12:11

“When therefore you shall see the abomination of desolation, which was spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place: he that readeth let him understand.” - Matthew 24:15

Could the “abomination of desolation” be interpreted as:

1. the Catholic churches being desolate (empty)?
  2. The pachamama idols placed in St. Peter’s Bascilica?
  3. the end times antichrist?

Has there been other occurrences in church history where the celebration of the Holy Eucharist was suspended?

2 Likes

Priests are still offering mass. They just aren’t open to the public.

13 Likes

That’s not correct. Most public Masses are cancelled. There is a huge difference.

7 Likes

I think that apocalyptic literature often speaks of specific events that happened in the past in very symbolic ways, so that they become more general situations that the people should be aware of.

Is the current situation exactly what Daniel was prophesying? Probably not, since as the last two posters pointed out, mass is still occurring, and more importantly, sacrifices should continually be made in our hearts!

But we all should be attentive to current events, and guard yourself that the abomination is not set up in you.

1 Like

As others have said, the Eucharist is still being celebrated, all day long and all around the world, in private Masses. There still are graces pouring from it for all, and countless priests celebrating for us who cannot attend.

4 Likes

Masses aren’t “cancelled”. The priests are saying all regularly scheduled Masses without the congregation physically present.
You can watch Masses all over the Internet. I just watched one and a half of them.

Catholic churches aren’t “empty” unless they’ve been closed for a public health reason. Many of them here are still open, just no public Masses. People can go to the church and pray, or have confession. There are people in there. The ones that are closed and locked are for reasons of public health in the judgment of the bishop.

And regarding the end times, I strongly doubt that we are in the end times and furthermore “we do not know the day or the hour”.

How about instead of dwelling on this sort of unproductive and negative thought, you watch a Mass online and pray for the plague to end? There’s no point in seeing “the end times” under every bush. I think it’s rather silly to do so. It would be the supreme irony if God decided to end the world in the middle of a normal happy sunny day with everybody going about their business and no sort of disaster going on.

4 Likes

In my area masses are cancelled. I have heard the same for all of Italy and in other places/areas as well. My inquiry about cancelled masses was regarding public masses (I should have wrote most public masses). I was unaware that there are some churches open to the public, thank you for informing me. Here we are under the shelter in place order and we cannot leave home unless it is a necessity.

Of course no one knows the day or the hour. We cannot assume we are in the end times, nor can we doubt that it isn’t. Christ tells us to ‘beware, keep alert

Beware, keep alert; for you do not know when the time will come.” - Mark 13:33

I don’t dwell on the end times and see the “end times” under every bush. That would be silly. Currently, with the majority of public masses closing and not being able to partake in Holy Communion I recall that the Bible did speak of the “daily sacrifice” being suspended. I believe this has never happened before in past church history? (please correct me if I’m wrong)

I was just interested in people’s opinion on this matter so I posted this question.
Even the disciples were curious about the sign of the 2nd coming of Christ and the end of the age.

‘As He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”’ - Matthew 24:3

You also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour’ - Luke 12:40

Nicene Creed

We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

I do pray the Rosary and pray for all to recover from the virus as well as to not get infected in the first place.
But along with prayer, I don’t think it’s unproductive or negative to converse about the end of times and the 2nd coming of Christ as well as reading scriptures from the Bible.

With Holy Week and Easter coming up and not being able to attend mass and partake in Holy Communion, it does concern me.

1 Like

If the Son of Man is coming “at an unexpected hour” then he’s not coming right now when half the world is talking like the Rapture or the End Times are upon us.

1 Like

That Pachamama stuff was not about idols:
They were Catholics, not random pagans.
The lady who gave the statue said, “Our Lady of the Amazon”

Etc. Don’t wanna turn this into a different thread but this was touched upon by the OP

Also, I think this should go to the thread about End Times speculation (I think it’s the 24th iteration right now!).

1 Like

You are making the argument of, “if people are expecting Christ to come, then he will not come.” But Jesus says: “Blessed are those slaves whom the master finds alert when he comes.” In other words, there are people who are alert and watchful of the signs of the times and yet Christ still comes; though they don’t know the exact day or the exact hour.

“Be dressed for action and have your lamps lit; be like those who are waiting for their master to return from the wedding banquet, so that they may open the door for him as soon as he comes and knocks. Blessed are those slaves whom the master finds alert when he comes; truly I tell you, he will fasten his belt and have them sit down to eat, and he will come and serve them.” - Luke 12:35-37

Are you saying we shouldn’t expect Christ to come during tribulations, but instead expect him to come when there is peace? But if we expect Christ to come, then by your logic, Christ won’t come?

2 Likes

The Pachamama definitely was about idolatry.

“Pachamama is a goddess revered by the indigenous people of the Andes. She is also known as the earth/time mother. In Inca mythology, Pachamama is a fertility goddess who presides over planting and harvesting, embodies the mountains, and causes earthquakes.”

1 Like

We should be ready for Christ to come at any time. Why would anyone want to be unready?
Every day we risk our own death and it could happen any time. I could die of the virus, I could get hit by an out-of-control truck while I’m walking into the grocery store (This actually happened to someone in my neighborhood who was peacefully grocery shopping a few years ago).
When we die, we’re going to be meeting Christ and getting judged, even if it’s not the end of the world.

Getting ready for Christ to arrive is not something we ignore most of the time and just pay attention to when it looks like maybe the end times are coming.
All the stuff we post about on this forum regarding Mass and prayer is us trying to be ready every day.
But speculating on the end of the world is pointless in my opinion, because our personal end of the world as in dying, is coming regardless.

2 Likes

Do you know where the people that were there were from? You’ve got the wrong guys.

I am not a believer. But tell me, Yoohyuk, if God had wished to inspire a prophecy about the cancellation of public Masses in 2020, why we not he have inspired the author of the book of Daniel to say: “In 2620 years from now there will be a pandemic and public Masses will be cancelled all over the world”. Or words to that effect?

Of course!

I only bring it up now because, unprecedentedly, most public masses are cancelled and the laity cannot partake in Holy Communion. Is this not a rare occurrence? Is it normal? This is why I created the post. I’m just curious.

1 Like

Off topic, but are you saying the statue referred to as “Pachamama” is actually a representation of Our Blessed Virgin Mary? Do you have any sources?

The pope referred to the statues as “Pachamama,” the name traditionally given to an Andean fertility goddess, which can be roughly translated as “Mother Earth.”

https://www.catholicworldreport.com/2019/10/25/pope-francis-apologizes-that-amazon-synod-pachamama-was-thrown-into-tiber-river/

Some in the Vatican at first claimed that the statues represented Our Lady of the Amazon. This interpretation the Vatican press office was at pains to refute. It repeatedly — and correctly — denied any connection between the Queen of Heaven and the pagan goddess of Mother Earth that the statue represents.

1 Like

Lifesite News is often very critical of the hierarchy…
You’ve got people from the wrong part of the world…

Here is an article that goes through various evidences:

(not that I agree with EVERYTHING on the website, but this article and others about Pachamama seem pretty thorough.)

Have you read the book of Daniel? What are your thoughts on the verses above?

‘He said, “Go your way, Daniel, for the words are to remain secret and sealed until the time of the end. Many shall be purified, cleansed, and refined, but the wicked shall continue to act wickedly. None of the wicked shall understand, but those who are wise shall understand. From the time that the regular burnt offering is taken away and the abomination that desolates is set up, there shall be one thousand two hundred ninety days.’ - Daniel 12:10-11

1 Like

As we’ve mentioned on other threads, throughout a lot of history and in a lot of places, the laity didn’t participate regularly in Holy Communion for a variety of reasons, including

• priests were rarely available because huge parts of the planet were mission territory, or there was a war on, or some government had suppressed and outlawed the Church
  • for several centuries, it was widely believed that people were not holy enough to regularly receive Communion and one was lucky if one was approved to receive it once a year

During much of that time, there were also fewer Masses available to people in many places because of lack of a priest.

Frequent Masses and regular Holy Communion are a relatively recent development in many parts of the world including the United States.

The fact that the public cannot attend the Mass physically does not detract from the fact that probably millions of Masses a day are still going on. We also have the wonders of the Internet, television and radio to hear Mass every day, even if it’s happening at a distance from us. I can even watch the Pope’s Mass if I want to get up at 2 am my time. People in previous eras certainly didn’t have that luxury.

The only reason that the cessation of Holy Communion seems abnormal to us is that we got used to being able to just step out of the house and receive Holy Communion every Sunday or even several times a week or daily in many cases. That has not been the norm throughout much of human history in many places. It’s not some big weird new thing that we can’t receive every week for a while.

This is a far fetched conclusion.

You are starting to sound like a fundamentalist Protestant or Jehovah’s Witness. Not good.

We cannot predict the end times.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.