The Holy Father's tweet about welcoming all to the Church

In June, the Holy Father posted the following Tweet:

Let the Church always be a place of mercy and hope, where everyone is welcomed, loved and forgiven.

This Tweet is being interpreted in a variety of ways. Is he saying anything new about whom we are to welcome? Or is he just re-stating standard Church teaching?

twitter.com/Pontifex/status/346209446004920320

[quote="njlisa, post:1, topic:333749"]
In June, the Holy Father posted the following Tweet:

Let the Church always be a place of mercy and hope, where everyone is welcomed, loved and forgiven.

This Tweet is being interpreted in a variety of ways. Is he saying anything new about whom we are to welcome? Or is he just re-stating standard Church teaching?

twitter.com/Pontifex/status/346209446004920320

[/quote]

Why would we not welcome everyone?

Is our mission not to serve the poor sick and marginalized?

Did Jesus dine and serve the priests or the sinners?

Are we not to love our enemies?

[quote="Jon_S, post:2, topic:333749"]
Why would we not welcome everyone?

Is our mission not to serve the poor sick and marginalized?

Did Jesus dine and serve the priests or the sinners?

Are we not to love our enemies?

[/quote]

Well, is he throwing the door open to those willfully living in mortal sin without repenting?

[quote="njlisa, post:3, topic:333749"]
Well, is he throwing the door open to those willfully living in mortal sin without repenting?

[/quote]

I hope so!

They need to go to church more than anyone!

(Just because you go to mass does not mean you take the Eucharist. )

The Holy Father is merely stating exactly what the church is about, it is open to everyone (catholic= Greek word for universal, ie for everybody), we should love everyone, and he never suggested that they shouldn't repent, but he's simplifying the statement that through the church forgiveness is given (by God). He's NOT commenting in this tweet on who is able to receive the Eucharist and who is not.
I love this tweet, but i can imagine that more than a few conspiracy theory types will twist it and use it as "proof" that Francis is turning the church into the apostate one-world religion of the new world order. (in Actual fact that's what freemasonry is, and who is their biggest enemy? - yes our church)

God bless

Paul.

"ubi caritas et amor Deus ibi est" (I've stolen that from poster Jon S, because it is beautiful)

[/quote]

A little story. True story.

One Sunday morning as the people of my parish arrived for mass they saw a dirty smelly homeless man sleeping at the entrance of the church. Shopping carts laden and overall grungy. People were more or less appalled that their Sunday mass should be disrupted by this spectacle.

Why had the priest or deacon not removed him?
Why is HE here?
Should we call the police?

The murmurs and debate wafted through the church until mass started.
After the introductory rites the back doors of the church flung open and here comes this homeless man pushing his cart down the center aisle.

Gasps fill the church as parishioners watch in horror.

The man trips and falls on his way down. 90% sit and watch in horror. Several get up and assist the man. The priest walks over and walks the man up to the lectern.

He removed his tattered coat revealing a white robe, the man lifts his head revealing his bearded Christlike face, the gloves are removed to reveal his wounded hands.

"Whatever you do for the least of these brothers of mine you do for me"

We must check our attitudes of others and be a light in the darkness. Truly and humbly taking Christ to EVERYONE. Exit our comfort zones and serve rather than be served.

This was a true story performed in secret with only the priest's knowledge by our high school drama team. It was so very powerful.

[/quote]

What? Sinners in the church??? Perhaps they will repent and convert.

That is an amazing story!

[quote="dee_burk, post:7, topic:333749"]
What? Sinners in the church??? Perhaps they will repent and convert.

[/quote]

Excellent point. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.