The Holy Rosary

This is the most awesome prayer. I prayed it for the last 3 months and its really working and changing you inside your heart.
Why the Orthodox do not recomend this prayer?

Yes! The prayer of the rosary is so powerful- A meditation on the Lord with his mother, and praises to the Bl. Virgin together. Which reminds me…I should be saying mine right about now…:hmmm:

I don’t know but I agree with you both. The recitation and contemplation on the mysteries are a direct open channel which one feels pretty early on in the recitation practice, since the mystery of the Lord communicates with the consciousness as in Scripture or Psalms etc.

The rosary has helped me get closer the Lord.

I´ve gotten off the Rosary for the last month. This thread reminds me of how much I´ve lost. I´ll pray the Rosary today. God bless:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Rosary is awesome

I absolutely love the rosary.
Last night I had a very rough time with a friend of mine. She’s very anti-muslim, anti-Obama and is hateful, rude and very vocal about it all. I was so upset. I went and prayed the rosary and by the time I was done I was completely calmed down.

The Rosary has completely changed my life. I can’t believe how much temptation I used to struggle with that I have no problem with anymore. At all. I can’t imagine a day without it. I’ve recently added the Divine Mercy Chaplet as well. It’s so beautiful. The world needs it right now.

Because the split between the East and West happened several centuries before the development of the rosary…

It developed in the West.

An objection you might hear or read from the Orthodox is that the Dominican rosary uses the Western concept of ‘meditating on the mysteries’, ‘mysteries’ here not meaning ‘sacraments’ (as it usually does in Orthodoxspeak) but events in the lives of Mary and Jesus. The objection is that this involves fantasy or using the imagination in prayer, which can be dangerous, leading to spiritual delusion, etc.

Source: orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=6714.0

Also, I think there might be considered to be considerable overlap between the function of the Rosary and the Liturgy of Hours, and that the Hours are more beneficial. I am in no way certain about that, however.

Imagination and fantasy must then also be “dangerous” when reading “Scripture” as with the Divine Office, for word for word that is where the “mysteries” of the Rosary reside, as do the Psalms. Seems to me your left to explain anothers thoughts which seem to lack logic in retrospect.

If the Liturgy of the Hours are more beneficial, is not of topic in this thread, the Rosary is. A comment as such suggests all should pray the Divine Office instead, highly unlikely. If the world prayed the Divine Office daily then we wouldn’t have a need to discuss the Rosary. If one cannot in time management devote 15-minutes daily to the Lord, then you’d be hard pressed to convince me you will pray the Divine Office.

The history of the Rosary is well documented. We are talking about the Rosary as known to the world today. Just as the Divine Liturgy developed over time, so did the Rosary. :wink:

I think you misunderstood me. I was answering the OP question as to why some Orthodox do not recommend this prayer and am no way advocating either argument.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.