The holy souls in purgatory

Whats your favourite prayers to prayer for the souls in purgatory? Have you received a favour through their prayers and intercession?

Just the simple one Jesus said would let a 1000 souls out for saying. If I have received anything, it was probably spiritual. That and I just started it as a habit, so I haven’t been doing it that long. Did you get anything?

I have a cousin, a young firefighter who died a few years ago en route to a fire.
Last year we were staying at his parents house for a visit. My young daughter came down with a fever suddenly in the evening. We were not near a store to get medicine. I put cold cloths on her, and kept watch. I also prayed to my cousin that he would pray for her (figuring being in his parents house and his job here on earth was helping people in trouble he might want to help in this way!). Mid-way in the night, I checked on her again and the fever was gone and never came back that trip.

So when I hear sirens in our town, I pray for those the sirens go to, those that go to help them, and for my cousin.

I have received many tears.
I’ve just begun my prayers for the Holy Souls. I’ll give what I got.
Here’s one straight from me memory of Mom:
Prayer For Departed Loved Ones
O Almighty God, Who by the love which You have for men, have willed to take our humanity, to live a life of hard work, to suffer a most cruel Passion, and finally to die on the Cross, I beseech You, by the infinite merits purchased for us with Your Precious Blood, look mercifully on the suffering which is endured by the holy souls in Purgatory. Accept, O merciful God, the prayers which I offer for them, and call them to the glory of heaven. I recommend to You the souls of my relatives, friends, and benefactors, and in a special manner of those to whom I may have been an occasion of sin by my bad example.
Most Holy Virgin, Mother of Mercy, Comforter of the Afflicted, intercede for those souls, that, by your powerful intercession, they may be admitted to enjoy that kingdom which is prepared for them. Amen.
Lucky shamrocks to you!

I have received many tears.
I’ve just begun my prayers for the Holy Souls. I’ll give what I got.
Here’s one straight from me memory of Mom:
Prayer For Departed Loved Ones
O Almighty God, Who by the love which You have for men, have willed to take our humanity, to live a life of hard work, to suffer a most cruel Passion, and finally to die on the Cross, I beseech You, by the infinite merits purchased for us with Your Precious Blood, look mercifully on the suffering which is endured by the holy souls in Purgatory. Accept, O merciful God, the prayers which I offer for them, and call them to the glory of heaven. I recommend to You the souls of my relatives, friends, and benefactors, and in a special manner of those to whom I may have been an occasion of sin by my bad example.
Most Holy Virgin, Mother of Mercy, Comforter of the Afflicted, intercede for those souls, that, by your powerful intercession, they may be admitted to enjoy that kingdom which is prepared for them. Amen.
Lucky shamrocks to you!

For the souls of purgatory, I like the Chaplet of St. Gertrude. :nun1: See below:

sistersofembracement.org/Chpgertrude.htm

Now, I am unsure of these claims are true, but it is certainly a good prayer, one way or another.

Of course, there is also the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, St. Faustina :nun1:
ewtn.com/devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm

Is that claim approved by the Church? If true, shouldn’t there be no one left in purgatory?

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let the perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace. Amen.

This one is my favorite:

Dip your fingers in the Holy Water, and say:

“By this holy water, and by Thy precious blood, wash away all my sin, O Lord, and relieve the souls in Purgatory.”

Then make the Sign of the Cross.

From *“Thirty-Day Devotions for the Holy Souls” *by Susan Tassone, page 156.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.