The Holy Spirit and religious denomination

Edwin wrote something very interesting in an earlier thread, which was closed: Eric asked us to open a new thread if we wished to continue the dialogue.

[quote=Contarini]Lily, that last paragraph I think sums up very nicely what my difficulty is, fundamentally.

I don’t believe that these qualities are “not reception of Christ and the Holy Spirit.”

You want to reduce the presence of the Holy Spirit to the sacramental.

When a Protestant congregation is the kind of place where people can stand up and share about their addictions or their children’s recent release from prison and know that they will be welcomed and prayed for, that’s the work of the Holy Spirit.

[/quote]

I very much agree with these sentiments.

My question for Edwin, and anyone else interested, is whether the work of the Holy Spirit is limited to one particular denomination, all Trinitarian Christians, or might Unitarian Christians, Sufi Muslims, and non-denominational peace workers also potentially be influenced by the Holy Spirit?

Thanks!

Hi, Matthew.

If God draws all men unto himself, then the Holy Spirit draws all men unto himself.

This does not mean that each and every faith tradition is led by the Holy Spirit, however, as evidenced by the wide variety of conflicting beliefs among the world’s religions. The Holy Spirit is not the author of division and conflict. So, while the Holy Spirit draws all mankind toward Truth, the Enemy seeks to deceive and draw mankind away from the Truth.

So, all men are “potentially influenced by the Holy Spirit”. All that is good and true in any religion has its origin in the Holy Spirit. This does not mean that all men or faith traditions positively respond to that influence. Many believe the lies of the enemy instead and thus lead others away from Truth.

Peace.

Steve

As far as the Catholic Church is concerned, humans have not been gifted with the ability to determine when God is acting or not and with whom. In line with the Scriptures, the Catholic Church recognizes that God interacts with all peoples, those who believe in God and those who do not.

“Does God belong to Jews alone? Does he not belong to Gentiles, too?” asked St. Paul at Romans 3.29. He answers his own question by saying, “Yes, also to Gentiles.” The Church accepts the truth of Scripture that teaches that God is not bound by denominational lines, divisions, and differences. Even to those who may not worship according to the prescriptions of what some might claim is “acceptable religion,” God has born enough witness in creation and in the natural law available to all to come to some knowledge of Him and His truths.—Romans 1.20, 21; 2.14, 15.

Jesus stated that God “makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust.” (Matthew 5.45) In line with all of this, who are we to say which people have not been gifted with the Holy Spirit and who has? Didn’t God teach St. Peter that even he should not come to his own judgment in this matter? God grants the Spirit according to His will, not yours, not mine.—See Acts chapter 10.

While I cannot speak for others, it would seem to me a fool who thinks he has a handle on God and that they possess enlightenment that can verify when God acts and when God does not, and how. Truly, have any of us the means to prove and guarantee that we have such insight? Have we never read the Scripture wherein God asks: “Will one who argues with the Almighty be corrected? Let him who would instruct God give answer!” And then again: “Gird up your loins now, like a man. I will question you, and you tell me the answers! Would you refuse to acknowledge my right? Would you condemn me that you may be justified?”—Job 40.1-8.

I think only God can answer. Some might believe they can say for sure, but I can only speak for myself when I say God has asked neither for my opinion or my instruction on this matter that I might argue that I have the answer and can say for sure.

God can choose to do all things,I,ve been told but chooses not to

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.