The holy spirit helps the cardinals choose a pope,why not end up with same results?

If the holy spirit helps the cardinals choose a pope…how come they don’t all end up with the same answers?

I thought the holy spirit guided them to make the right choice?

The Holy Spirit guides the conclave but not necessarily each cardinal. Why? I wouldn’t know, unless God decides to reveal it to me. Hold on, wait a sec. . . . Nope, nothing yet.

Perhaps, He is revealing who he wants next.

Because not every Cardinal listens to the Holy Spirit’s prompts every time!

Brenda V.

[quote=godsent]If the holy spirit helps the cardinals choose a pope…how come they don’t all end up with the same answers?

[/quote]

Because as the then Cardinal Ratzinger pointed out – many do not understand how this concept “works” – the Holy Spirit guarantees that the situation will “turn out all right in the end” was his exact phrase.

[quote=godsent]If the holy spirit helps the cardinals choose a pope…how come they don’t all end up with the same answers?

[/quote]

Free Will.

[/quote]

Good question, the answer lies in the Scripture where Jesus tells them the spirit will lead them to all truth. The audience of this is his Church leaders as a group, not individually, except for Peter. This is why when it comes to matters of faith, morals, or Christian teaching the Pope alone and the magisterium as a group are led to truth, not the cardinals as individuals, nor the Pope unless it is a matter of Church teaching.

The discourse at the last supper (John 14-16) was to His Apostles, the leaders of the Church He established, this was not directed to all of His disciples nor to His general followers. He promises His Church (leadership) will be led to truth, not the individuals, except of course for Peter.

[quote=DRBO.COM] John 14, 26 But the Paraclete, the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring all things to your mind, whatsoever I shall have said to you.
26 “Teach you all things”… Here the Holy Ghost is promised to the apostles and their successors, particularly, in order to teach them all truth, and to preserve them from error.
[/quote]

[quote=DRBO.COM] John 16 , 7 But I tell you the truth: it is expedient to you that I go: for if I go not, the Paraclete will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 And when he is come, he will convince the world of sin, and of justice, and of judgment. 9 Of sin: because they believed not in me. 10 And of justice: because I go to the Father; and you shall see me no longer.
8 “He will convince the world of sin”… The Holy Ghost, by his coming brought over many thousands, first, to a sense of their sin in not believing in Christ. Secondly, to a conviction of the justice of Christ, now sitting at the right hand of his Father. And thirdly, to a right apprehension of the judgment prepared for them that choose to follow Satan, who is already judged and condemned.
[/quote]

[quote=DRBO.COM] John 16,13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will teach you all truth. For he shall not speak of himself; but what things soever he shall hear, he shall speak; and the things that are to come, he shall shew you. 14 He shall glorify me; because he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it to you. 15 All things whatsoever the Father hath, are mine. Therefore I said, that he shall receive of mine, and shew it to you.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi All
I know that you will all disagree with me but here goes anyway.
The truth is that, the decision on who gets to be Pope is a political
issue, not a spiritual one. If Holy Spirit guided in the decision, he would make it very clear by leading everyone to the,“Fullness of truth”.
Thanks

[quote=NonDenom]Hi All
I know that you will all disagree with me but here goes anyway.
The truth is that, the decision on who gets to be Pope is a political
issue, not a spiritual one. If Holy Spirit guided in the decision, he would make it very clear by leading everyone to the,“Fullness of truth”.
Thanks
[/quote]

Man proposes – God disposes. And I sincerely doubt that you are able to limit just how the Holy spirit accomplishes the will of God.

The Holy Spirit guides a Conclave in the same way my Guardian Angel guides my car.

By allowing Free Will.

The Holy Spirit does NOT choose who the next Pope will be any more than my G.A. chooses lane I’m driving in.

What God has promised is that what ever Pope the Cardinals choose (and it is their choice), that man will be free from binding the Church to doctrinal error for as long as he occupies the Chair of Peter.

And let’s face it, over the centuries, the Cardinals have chosen some real wackos, including evil men.

But not one single one of them ever committed the Church to heresy.

THAT is the protection the Holy Spirit provides.

The Holy Spirit guides the conclave like the Holy Spirit guides me when I am trying to make a tough decision. It’s popular piety to say the Holy Spirit picks the pope, but this is not true. When it comes down to it, the cardinals can elect whoever they please. We pray that they will pray about it a lot and make the right choice.

As Nondenom rightly pointed out, it has often been very political. People like Alexander VI wouldn’t have been elected if it weren’t (his successor refused to say Mass for him becuase his successor said saying Mass for people in hell is blasphemy :eek: )

What the Holy Spirit does is protect them from defining heresy as doctrine. This is much better than picking the pope. People can change, so a bad guy elected pope might change and turn out great while a good man may turn bad. Either way, the Church is protected from error.

[/quote]

Godsent,

There is a serious difference betweeen God wanting a particular person to be pope and God wanting a specific cardinal to vote for that person.

• Liberian
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.