the Holy Spirit

I was having my dad who’s a southern Baptist look at a pamphlet that I got from medishare to see if he thought it was any good. When he got to the end they have a statement of faith and part of it talked about the holy spirit. My dad said he didn’t agree saying that he believes the holy spirit is just your conscience and that his interpretation of the bible is the correct one. Does anyone have some input into this?

The Holy Spirit came to Peter and the disciples in the upper room on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2.

What came upon them wasn’t their conscience because everyone had a conscience way before that. People didn’t start having consciences at the time of Pentecost. Even Muslims and atheists have a conscience and the Holy Spirit doesn’t dwell in them.

-Tim-

Just a little. We should always follow what our conscience tells us to do yet, more often than not without proper formation of conscience from the teachings on faith in morals as derived from the church, the conscience is not formed correctly. But if a person wasn’t taught by the church about faith and morals they can fall into the trap of relativism so their conscience may be off what is really right. As parents we are our children s first teachers and we should teach them the way they should go and we get that teaching through the church.

I’ve heard protestants say they can interpret the bible because they have the Holy Spirit in them, however, there’s too much of ‘themselves’ that come through in their interpretations when they interpret the bible which is why there are so many protestant denominations. It says in the scripture that private revelation should not be part of church for that reason. And the bible says that Jesus passed the teachings onto his apostles, Jesus doesn’t say the teaching was passed directly to people in the 21st century and so because Protestants are lacking the magisterium of the church in their teachings this leaves the teachings up to individual interpretation.

That’s why the teaching has to come from the church who got the teaching directly from Jesus and the apostles themselves which was passed down through the church. Try telling this to someone who doesn’t believe you when you tell them and they’ll probably wouldn’t understand but protestantism is based on a person interpreting the scriptures through his or her own ‘lights’.
I hope it works out… Blessings…

It seems like your dad disagrees with the Southern Baptist Convention. They are a Trinitarian sect, and their definition of the Spirit seems at odds with your dad’s: sbc.net/aboutus/basicbeliefs.asp

The following are from the New International Version of the Bible. This is a protestant translation so your Dad should not have a problem with it. In them Jesus talks about the Spirit being a separate person.

Lk 12:10 And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

John 15;26 “When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me."

John 16:13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.