The Holy Trinity

I believe that there are three Persons in God because God is real, God is goodness, and God is one. There must be three Persons or else, any more or any less, God would not be what He is. So the Holy Trinity is Divine.

Amen! :thumbsup:

Pax Vobiscum :getholy:

I heard someone on EWTN (I think it was Scott Hahn) say… that the Holy Trinity is also a “Family” by nature. The original Family… existing from all eternity. I had never thought of the Holy Trinity in that way, before.

How wonderful and awe inspiring! Also… clearly shows that the concept of “Family” is of divine origin and therefore, holy. God desires that OUR families… are holy. Makes more sense now… why the “Family” is under such attack in our age. :frowning:

First Off Scott Hahn is great!

Second, thinking as the family as almost duetero-sacramental is pretty insightful. Family being an outward sign of the divine love of God in the Trinity. Some great stuff. Tried explaining this to a Mormon once… why is it so difficult for someone of the mormon faith to accept something like the Blessed Trinity? Even put into a context of family something that is emphasized in their church. Ah well suppose that’s why they call it a mystery :rolleyes:

Well, the trinity is integral for God’s mechanics to work!

Genesis 11:7 Come ye, therefore, let us go down, and there confound their tongue, that they may not understand one another’s speech. (DRB)

(God refers to himself in plural format)

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God [elohim] created heaven, and earth. (DRB)

The Hebrew word “elohim” means three and is plural. even in the very first VERSE of the Bible the trinity is evident!
Note: I’m using the douay-rheims which was translated from the latin vulgate (so elohim wouldn’t be used in the vulgate), but, the latin vulgate was translated from the Hebrew texts inevitably.

Colossians 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead corporeally. (DRB)

Greek word for “Godhead” is theotes, which means three too of course! The other form of it is “theos” which is always translated to "God."
So, the whole Bible is littered with examples of the trinity.

This verse makes it the most clear:

1 John 5:7 And there are Three who give testimony in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost. And these three are one. (DRB)

Notice how much more full the verse is in the Douay-Rheims, modern bibles completely butcher this verse!

1 John 5:7 There are three witnesses: (GNB)
1 John 5:7 For there are three that testify: (NIV)
1 John 5:7 So we have these three witnesses (NLT)
1 John 5:7 For there are three that testify: (ESV)
1 John 5:7 For there are three that testify: (NASB)
1 John 5:7 There are three that testify: (NRSV)

Hmmm, what’s missing? :rolleyes:
Satan is truly hard at work to edit bibles today! As his time runs out - he becomes more hasty and vile.

1 John 5:6-8

This is the one who came through water and blood, Jesus Christ, not by water alone, but by water and blood. The Spirit is the one that testifies, and the Spirit is truth. So there are three that testify, the Spirit, the water, and the blood, and the three are of one accord.

(NAB)

That is what I found in the New American Bible.

When I mean there must be three Persons in God, I meant that there be must be three because God is real - for three means complete, and God is completely alive - and God is goodness - for three means perfect, and God is holiness itself - and God is one - for three means unity, and the oneness of God is a unity unlike any unity we can possibly imagine.

If there is only one or two Persons in God, than God cannot be thrice-holy, that is, holiness itself, nor can He be an unity, nor can He, while not being holy, real, for God is truly holy. If there is four Persons in God, than God would be worldly, for four means of the world, and if God is worldly, than the heresy of pantheism - that God is everything - would be the truth.

Moreover, if there were not three Persons in God, than God could not be love, for the third Person is the love of God, the living divine love. And since God is love, the third Peson is God, just as the second Person is God and the first Person is God; all three are God, the oneness of God being a unity. God could not simply be an unity in His attributes, either, because than He would have no life in Himself. Even the soul, while being imagination, intellect, and will, has life in itself! So God must have life, and that life is the Holy Trinity.

This is my speculation, of course.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.