The Holy Trinity

Yesterday was Trinity Sunday and New Advent website carried a very good article by Msgr. Charles Pope on the Trinity. In part of it he shared OT Scripture passages that spoke to him about the Trinity. I found his exegesis of the Genesis 18:1-5 passage (And the LORD appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat at the door of his tent in the heat of the day. He lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, three men stood in front of him. When he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them, and bowed himself to the earth, and said, “My Lord, if I have found favor in your sight, do not pass by your servant. Let a little water be brought, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree, while I fetch a morsel of bread, that you may refresh yourselves, and after that you may pass on — since you have come to your servant.” So they said, “Do as you have said.”) particularly interesting. Thought others here might enjoy it also.

…Now this passage from a purely grammatical point of view is very difficult since we switch back and forth from singular references to plural. Note first that the Lord (singular) appeared to Abram. (In this case יְהוָ֔ה Yahweh (YHWH) is the name used for God). And yet what Abram sees is three men. Some have wanted to say, this is just God and two angels. But I see the Trinity being imaged or alluded to here. And yet when Abram address “them” he says, “My Lord” (singular). The “tortured” grammar continues as Abram asks that water be fetched so that he can “wash your feet” (singular) and that the “LORD” (singular) can rest yourselves (plural). The same thing happens in the next sentence where Abram wants to fetch bread that you (singular) may refresh yourselves (plural) In the end the LORD (singular) gives answer but it is rendered: “So they said” Plural, singular…… what is it? Both. God is one, God is three. For me, as a Christian, this is a picture of the Trinity. Since the reality of God cannot be reduced to words we have here a grammatically difficult passage. But I “see” what is going on. God is one and God is three, he is singular and yet is plural.

blog.adw.org/2013/05/1-and-1-and-1-are-one-a-mediation-on-the-feast-of-the-holy-trinity/

Thank you for sharing this! :slight_smile:

Here is an article that I enjoyed about Rublev’s exquisite icon, The Hospitality of Abraham / The Holy Trinity.

iconreader.wordpress.com/2011/02/20/icon-of-the-holy-trinity/

(Click to enlarge the icon)

iconreader.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/rublev-angels-at-mamre-trinity1.jpg

Thank you for sharing this! :D

I remember reading this passage quite a few years back. And my jaw literally dropped. I realised that the three men weren't God and two angels. It was ONE God in THREE persons. I couldn't believe that I had not seen that before. But there it was. Biblical evidence, proof that the Trinity was real.

Thanks for sharing this,
www.divinemercypopes.com

Thanks for the link. I had never seen the one with Abraham and Sarah in it also.
Initially, icons were not very attractive to me – but that has changed, and I now like them very much. I have a tendency to pick up holy cards that have icon images on them. Because I am reasonably new, and totally unschooled in the symbolism, I always wish they would include an explanation of the symbolism of the icon on the holy card.
The Trinity icon is a favorite for me.

It always amazes me how many New Testament truths are present in the Old Testament – not explicitly perhaps, but implicitly or symbolically.

I checked the link you included. Have you read the book? If so, how did you like it?

Good find Nita! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.