The Hundred Years' War

During the Hundred Years’ War, God told Joan of Arc to lead the French people to victory against the English Invaders.

Why?

At this point, England and France were both Catholic Countries. It is not like the French were fighting off non-Christians. Both the French and the English believed in Jesus Christ.

The only explanation I can come up with is that if France was conquered, than the French Catholics would have eventually been persecuted (like the English Catholics were) when the Protestant Reformation comes to England later down the road.

Is there something about the Hundred Years’ War I am missing?

Do we know God told her this?

I thought she was visited by Michael and others, but never had a vision of God. Much less that God told her to defeat the English and the Burgundians. I could be wrong, though.

Pax Christi!

Let’s not quibble. Whether it was God, the archangel Michael or St. Christina the Astonishing and a kazoo choir, it was Heaven giving the orders, I believe with good reasons.

Those reasons could very well have included what BornInMarch suggests.

God bless.

St. Joan of Arc(1412-1431) heard the voices of St. Michael, St. Catherine, and St. Margaret. They told her to help the King of France reconquer his kingdom, at this time the throne was pursued by the English King and the Duke of Burgundy.

The Protestant Reformation occurred in 1517…The Hundreds Years’ War ended in 1453. So no it most likely wouldn’t have impacted the French Catholics as it did the English Catholics.

So, logically it would seem that God wanted to protect Catholic France but was happy to see Catholic England go? Where was He when Napoleon and the French Revolution destroyed “Catholic” France" ?
God’s intervention in what, to most Catholics, could not be defined as a just war is highly suspect to me. I bow to the Church’s decision to canonize St. Joan of Arc but anyone hearing voices and wanting to act in war would be in a jail for terrorists awaiting psych assessment today.

Everything is not about religion, or Catholicism. England was invading France, and the French, of course, wanted the invaders out. Joan’s unfair trial and execution was immediately seen as martyrdom by the French.

One might say that it all really stemmed from France invading England except such concepts such as ‘France’ and ‘England’ were pretty vague at that time - it was all dynastic politics - the King of England had lands in France because the Duke of Normandy made himself King of England and people married for dynastic reasons.

The perfidy of Albion was great and God sought to humble them by having a peasant girl roflolstomp them.

AFAIK William the Bastard had a decent claim.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.