The Hunger Games

How is this movie? Is it worth renting?

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

Yeah I saw it, and it’s really very good.

No. The first half of the movie is tedious, and it doesn’t get any better when they’re hunting and killing children for sport.

I thought it was a well-produced movie (I didn’t like the cussing, there are 1-2 instances of d***)

They stuck to the books pretty well, good acting and a good story line!

I also thought it was a great movie, but I would really recomen reading the books first. There is a lot you will miss in the movie if you don’t.

I saw the movie and then read the books.

Then I saw the movie again, and once more.

I guess I liked it.

You can enjoy the movie without reading the books.

I saw the movie.

I did not read the books.

I suspect, though I can’t say without having read the books, that the books are probably a lot better.

It seems that they had too much content to work with, and so they had to jam it into a tight space, thus making it less comprehensible. My wife disagreed with me, but that was my take.

For example, I do not think they spent enough time explaining the purpose of the premise. Not the premise itself, but the reasons behind the premise. It seemed rather ridiculous, but I’m sure the books explained it better.

Also, characters seem to develop relationships really fast, which I guess make sense when you’re facing harrowing circumstances, but it didn’t feel authentic to me.

Finally, the movie ended, and I just sat there thinking, “What was the point of that?”

Unless they were trying to delve into the absurd like Albert Camus or something, that’s about the only sense I can make of the message.

Yes. One of my favorites.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty good. Although it’s certainly not mandatory to read the book series first, I highly recommend it. You catch little details that are changed or left out from the book, and I think it’s a very different vantage point. With the novels, it is in first person, versus watching a film, which most of the time has to be seen and experienced in third person. Also, the books are quick reads, ones that you can devour in one sitting or so, and I think that it made the viewing experience all the more enjoyable.

I found it to have a strong pro-life message.

What do you mean?

Intresting thoughts… I did like the storyline and thought it was well written but I still kind of feel weird about the kids killing kids thing. I am just shocked to hear how many parents let their young kids watch this.

That’s exactly what I mean. We are watching a society that kills it’s own children and has created a sport and celebration out of it. The obvious analogy is to war, where we send our children off to fight while we watch on CNN-or worse yet, go to the Mall. However, you can see how the degradation in the value of innocent life could lead to something that barbaric.

I find it disturbing that this movie is so popular with young people. I think that the material is very adult and I think that it is not good for people with less maturity to be watching movies with this kind of violence.

I do think that more mature people can find a lot to appreciate about this film, and in responce to the OP, I have this to say about the film:

It is overall a well made film.

It has likable, well acted, well written characters. The heroine especially is a suprisingly strong moral center to this movie.

It has an enjoyable amount of sublte complexity in its story telling which is not near as common in sci-fi movies than I would like.

It has no sexual content and very little language issues. Also, the violence while disturbing is not gratuitous in its presence in the movie or how it is filmed.

Where it really stands out from other sci-fi movies is its thematic depth. It is subtle and probably goes over a lot of peoples heads, but this movie has a lot to say about relevent real world issues in a way that most sci-fi movies don’t. For example, it attacks our cultures’ obsession with gratuitous violence as well as taking on matters of government and the like. Almost everything that this movie has to say is stuff I agree with.

Yet for all the positive aspects of it I would be hesitent to reccomand a movie where you watch teens forced to kill each other for the sport of the audience. People should evaluate for themselves whether they want to watch this movie.

Watch the 2007 WWE film staring Stone Cold Steve Austin ***The Condemned ***.

Exactly the same film, slightly better cause it ain’t kids killing kids.

I’ve said for years the Hunger Games is just like 50 Shades…it’s a complete ripoff…but apparently counterfeit novels are all the rage. :frowning:

[quote=Seeker1961] Quote:

Originally Posted by VeritasLuxMea

What do you mean?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abisko

Intresting thoughts… I did like the storyline and thought it was well written but I still kind of feel weird about the kids killing kids thing. I am just shocked to hear how many parents let their young kids watch this.

That’s exactly what I mean. We are watching a society that kills it’s own children and has created a sport and celebration out of it. The obvious analogy is to war, where we send our children off to fight while we watch on CNN-or worse yet, go to the Mall. However, you can see how the degradation in the value of innocent life could lead to something that barbaric.
[/quote]

Totally agree with you… It’s sad but I can see this in today’s society.

I just wanted to say something about the violence, when I was watching it, I was actually struck by the way most of the violence was removed, in a way. The main scene with the killings had the sound removed. It was like a surreal experience which I thought was actually helpful in allowing one to view what was going on for the atrocity that it was, rather than giving people the opportunity to watch and revel in the violence going on as happens by so many today with other violent movies. Maybe it ws just me, but that was one of the main things that struck me about the movie. :slight_smile:

VeritasLuxMea wrote:

For example, I do not think they spent enough time explaining the purpose of the premise. Not the premise itself, but the reasons behind the premise. It seemed rather ridiculous, but I’m sure the books explained it better.

The books are written in the first person voice of Katnis. She explains that 75 years earlier, there was a revolt that was beaten down. To keep the people submitted, the Hunger Games was begun. It says, “look what we can do to you. We can even kill your children”. The Games are an instrument of terror. They are presented on television as entertainment, but the only people who consider it entertainment are the degenerate people in the Capitol which enjoys all the wealth produced by the whole country.

Also, characters seem to develop relationships really fast, which I guess make sense when you’re facing harrowing circumstances, but it didn’t feel authentic to me.

In the book, Katnis has been hunting with Gale for years. Also, years earlier, Peta tossed bread to Katnis when she was on the verge of dying from hunger, and Katnis notes that he has been making interested looks at her every since.
Haymitch is a unique case. In the first book, he is just there, but in the later books he is one of the leaders of the rebels and it becomes clear that he has been waiting for years for somebody like Katnis to come along who would be a rallying symbol for the rebels.

Finally, the movie ended, and I just sat there thinking, “What was the point of that?”

The last scene showed a thoughtful President Snow walking away as if he was going to do something.
In the later books, President Snow visits Katnis in her hometown and tries to move her away from being a symbol for rebellious spirits. He will fail.

It’s the best book ever!!! I watched the movie and what people are saying is right. You need to read the book before you watch the movie because the book gives you a better picture and the movie misses a lot of things. But, yeah, it’s worth renting or borrowing.

p.s. It’s my favorite book AND movie! Love it so muchforums.catholic.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

It’s the best book ever!!! I watched the movie and what people are saying is right. You need to read the book before you watch the movie because the book gives you a better picture and the movie misses a lot of things.

True.
However,…
when all four :eek: movies have been released and people have seen them all, they won’t need to read the books to understand.

It will be apparent in retrospect that when Katniss volunteered to take Prim’s place, Haymisch must have immediately considered her a gift from Heaven as a figurehead and symbol for his rebellion aspirations. **And he must have come close to doing cartwheels when Peeta was chosen! ** :egyptian:
There is no hint of this in the first book or the movie.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.