The "I Miss My Mommy" Thread

My mom passed away several years ago. I still miss her. I wanted to start a thread for those of us whose mothers have passed away. Let's pray for the souls of our dearly departed mothers and for each other.

:gopray: Remember oh most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it know that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence I fly unto thee, oh virgin of virgins, my mother. To thee I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. Oh mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petition but hear and answer me. Amen.

:grouphug:

Remember oh most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it know that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence I fly unto thee, oh virgin of virgins, my mother. To thee I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. Oh mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petition but hear and answer me. Amen.
:signofcross:

My mother died when I was 10. I have missed her most of my life. But especially when my sons were born. I grieved for her all over again, in a deeper and more painful way than I ever had. Every milestone my sons have hit, I have wanted her to share. I think she is in heaven so she can see them and hear my prayers, but I have missed her so and look forward to being with her in heaven.

I don’t mean to be a wet blanket, but my mother died two years ago next week. She abused me and my sister. It’s a relief, and I am slowly healing.

[quote="Apollos, post:3, topic:226059"]
I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but my mother died two years ago next week. She abused me and my sister. It's a relief, and I am slowly healing.

[/quote]

Then I especially offer more prayer for both your soul and hers. :gopray2:

[quote="gardenswithkids, post:1, topic:226059"]
My mom passed away several years ago. I still miss her. I wanted to start a thread for those of us whose mothers have passed away. Let's pray for the souls of our dearly departed mothers and for each other.

:gopray: Remember oh most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it know that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence I fly unto thee, oh virgin of virgins, my mother. To thee I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. Oh mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petition but hear and answer me. Amen.

:grouphug:

[/quote]

My mother died when I was six. I have always yearned for her, and I'm now in my 80s. The ache never fully goes away. I always imagine what might have been. I'm certain that she has long ago entered heaven, but I continue to have at least an annual Mass said for her and my dad. Jesus, I trust in You!

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:2, topic:226059"]
My mother died when I was 10. I have missed her most of my life. But especially when my sons were born. I grieved for her all over again, in a deeper and more painful way than I ever had. Every milestone my sons have hit, I have wanted her to share. I think she is in heaven so she can see them and hear my prayers, but I have missed her so and look forward to being with her in heaven.

[/quote]

Milestones, birthdays and holidays seem particularly hard. My oldest son's high school graduation was particularly hard. My family has some birthdays approaching, and I'm remembering some of the nice she did on birthdays when she was well.

[quote="Waiting, post:5, topic:226059"]
My mother died when I was six. I have always yearned for her, and I'm now in my 80s. The ache never fully goes away. I always imagine what might have been. I'm certain that she has long ago entered heaven, but I** continue to have at least an annual Mass said for her and my dad.** Jesus, I trust in You!

[/quote]

That is so sweet that you still have an annual Mass said for your parents when you are in your 80s!

[quote="gardenswithkids, post:6, topic:226059"]
Milestones, birthdays and holidays seem particularly hard. My oldest son's high school graduation was particularly hard. My family has some birthdays approaching, and I'm remembering some of the nice she did on birthdays when she was well.

[/quote]

You are so right about the milestones, birthdays, and holidays. They can be real rough when we miss a dearly loved Mom (or Dad, or both). I'm always glad when the Christmas season is over, mainly for that reason, although I know that's probably not a very good way to feel. It's so great to have beautiful memories, though, and I imagine our Moms are looking down and assisting us by their intercession to Our Lord when we pray for them, so they can actually be even more helpful to us now than ever!

Eternal rest grant unto them, Oh Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them, and may their souls and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen.
God's love and peace to you all here also.

Not all of us have wonderful memories of our mother's, yet I still say this one for my momma, and hope where-ever she is that she knows I love her even if she was unable to show that love to me when she was still here...

I remember thee in this solemn hour, my dear mother.
I remember when thou didst dwell on earth,
and thy tender love watched ove me like a guardian angel.

Thou didst dwell on earth,
and thy tender love watched over me,
but the bond which unites our souls can
never be severed; thine image lives
within my heart.

May the merciful Father reward thee
for the faithfulness and kindness thou hast
ever shown me; may He lift up the
light of His countenance upon thee
and grant thee eternal peace.

(In Honor of Mother from the Hebrew Union Prayer Book)

I miss my Daddy. He's been gone almost 13 years. He would have been an awsome grandfather. My baby is named after him....he has a similar personality to my Dad....even the humor.

I miss my Godmother so much. She passed away this summer. I was fortunate to be with her when she passed away.

She was like a mother to me...and a grandmother to my kids. For a while we lived just a block away from each other. We would have daily phone conversations.

For some reason I keep thinking about how , if I could use the word ironic, is that she brought me to be baptized. as a baby -.I was there for her at the end of her life.

Oh my! I miss my daddy too...Always

I just lost my mom this past November. But we lost her to Alzheimers years ago. I miss what she used to be. But I know that she is in heaven with her memories and mind restored. Just last weekend we had her memorial Mass. It was very nice to recall the good times and recount her long (96 years) and active life.

I didn't expect her loss to affect me so much since I haven't lived at home for 30 years and only saw her 1-2 times a year. Its not like she was an every day part of my life. Especially in the last few years. I couldn't talk to her, she was unable to carry on a conversation, and the last year she didn't know who I was. So its been a long time since I've had a "real" relationship with her.

So why am I so sad?

I recently learned about prayer contracts. I use one. All the indulgences earned from my prayers, masses, good works, etc. are applied to my mother. I know that she prayed a lot for me. Now it is my turn.

This week is the 4th anniversary of my mom's death. I'm 30 years old and am doing better, but still grieve the loss of my best friend. I often have dreams about her, which are sometimes a comfort and sometimes such a disappointment when I wake up. Like today.

One day at a time.

[quote="MtnDwellar, post:13, topic:226059"]
I recently learned about prayer contracts. I use one. All the indulgences earned from my prayers, masses, good works, etc. are applied to my mother. I know that she prayed a lot for me. Now it is my turn.

[/quote]

That's beautiful. I bet she's smiling down on you right about now.....

I also have some mixed feelings for sure, but it's still a bit sorrowful to hear someone tell a really terrible joke (as in so awful it's not funny) because that's what reminded me of my mother.

This reminds me of the odd circumstance that the last real discussion we had was me bugging my mother how to recite the Hail Mary, as she had railed so very often against the Catholic Church.

I still have her rosary, although I'm not sure why she had a rosary. One never knows! :)

I miss my mother who died in October 2009 from kidney disease. I miss her dearly.

She might like to hear you say the prayer I have already posted.
It comforts me.

My mother died of breast cancer in 2009, a few days before I turned 30. I know she had problems with depression and as far as I know never had any counseling or treatment for them. I've always wondered if she was ever really happy. I pray that she's happy now. We loved each other as well as we knew how, but it hurts how distant we always were. There are things I wish I'd ever had the courage to ask her, but I won't ever get a chance. I don't know if I'll ever have the courage to ask my dad. All I can do now is pray for her. Please, Jesus, have mercy on her.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.