The immaculate conception

I am looking for proof of the immaculate cconception. I know the bible talks about Mary being full of grace. Many translate that is meaning highly favored. Also, is there reason to believe that being full of grace translates to being without sin? What do the Church Father’s say on this subject? If anyone knows of any work written by scholars on this subject that would be great also.

Thankyou! God bless!

Here’s a good read:

ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/jp2bvm23.htm

Hi Lenny,

I don’t claim to be a scholar, but here are two articles I have written.

defendingthebride.com/ma2/conception.html

defendingthebride.com/ma2/number.html

see the links. they are sure to answer your question.

catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0128.html (includes questions.)

catholic.com/tracts/immaculate-conception-and-assumption (from this site)

newadvent.org/cathen/07674d.htm (catholic encyclopedia- it offers proof,too)

If you are Catholic, you trust that the Church has been given the keys (authority) of the kingdom (Mt 16:18) and that it is guided by the Holy Spirit (Jn 16:13) in terms of teaching on faith and morals. Thus, if you are Catholic, the proof comes with Ineffabilis Deus which was the formal declaration of the Immaculate Conception. If you are seeking proof beyond that, you are really questioning the matter of authority. Did the Church have the authority to make such a proclamation? Catholics must answer yes and I believe that the Scriptures do back up that authority. We have three pillars of authority-- Sacred Tradition, Sacred Scripture and Living Magisterium.

The Scriptural texts having to do with the Immaculate Conception are not direct proofs. Much of it is typological with the pure ark of the Old Covenant being a type of Mary. “Hail full of grace” is a powerful verse because of the Greek word used which shows that she had the fullness of grace before the Lord was conceived in her womb. Still, when I look for “proof” of dogma, I look no further than the authority of the Church.

And for the questions that come after proving ic,

catholic.com/quickquestions/was-elijah-assumed-into-heaven-before-mary

catholic.com/quickquestions/how-do-we-explain-the-necessity-of-marys-immaculate-conception

catholic.com/quickquestions/if-mary-was-born-without-original-sin-and-did-not-sin-during-her-life-does-that-mean-

the op might want to prove a point to non Catholics, who don’t believe in papal authority and infallibility.

St. Alphonsus de Liguori wrote about Mary’s Immaculate Concpetion in his classic work: “The Glories of Mary.” Here is the relevant section: DISCOURSE I. ON THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION OF MARY.

Also, here are a few Bible verses and a short explanation of how they apply to Mary’s Immaculate Conception, which I compiled to be used for praying the rosary while meditating on Mary’s Immaculate Conception:

As a lily among the thorns, so is my love among the daughters. (Songs 2:2) is a reference to her being pure, unlike all other daughters of Eve.

Thou art all fair, O my love, and there is not a spot in thee. (Songs 4:7).

One is my dove, my perfect one is but one. (Songs 6:9]).

Behold, a little cloud arose out of the sea…. (1 Kngs 18:44a) the mist that rises from the sea has no salt in it and the salt represents original sin into which all are conceived except for Mary (and Jesus, of course).

Thankyou all! I will look at the links when I have time. Also, I wanted to clarify, I am Catholic and I do believe in the immaculate conception I’m just looking for evidence on it to explain it to those without a good understanding. What the Church says is infallible so it is obvious that the immaculate conception is true doctrine.

why the thumb’s down? :confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.