The Importance and Obligatory Nature of Ecclesiastical Attire

Interesting to read:

The Importance and Obligatory Nature of Ecclesiastical Attire

1. In a secularised and basically materialistic society where the external signs of sacred and supernatural realities tend to disappear, deeply felt is the need for the priest – man of God, dispenser of his mysteries – to be recognisable in the eyes of the community by his attire as well, and this as an unequivocal sign of his dedication and identity as holder of a public ministry. The priest must be recognisable above all through his conduct, but also by his attire, which renders visible to all the faithful, and to each person, his identity and his belonging to God and to the Church.

Clerical attire is the external sign of an interior reality: “Indeed, the priest no longer belongs to himself but, because of the sacramental seal he has received (cf. Catechism of the Catholic Church, nn. 1563, 1582), is the ‘property’ of God. The priest’s ‘belonging to Another’, must become recognisable to all, through a transparent witness. […] In the way of thinking, speaking, and judging events of the world, of serving and loving, of relating to people, also in his habits, the priest must draw prophetic power from his sacramental belonging”.

For this reason the priest, like the transitory deacon, must:
a) wear either the cassock “or suitable ecclesiastical dress, in accordance with the norms established by the Episcopal Conference and legitimate local customs”; when other than the cassock, attire must be different from the way laypersons dress and consonant with the dignity and sanctity of the minister; the style and the colour are to be determined by the Conference of Bishops;
b) because of their incoherence with the spirit of this discipline, contrary practices are bereft of the rationality necessary for them to become legitimate customs and must be absolutely eliminated by the competent authority.

Outside of specific exceptional cases, the non use of ecclesiastical attire may manifest a weak sense of one’s identity as a pastor dedicated entirely to the service of the Church.

Moreover, in its form, colour and dignity the cassock is most opportune, because it clearly distinguishes priests from laymen and makes people understand the sacred nature of their ministry, reminding the priest himself that forever and at each moment he is a priest ordained to serve, teach, guide, and sanctify souls mainly through the celebration of the sacraments and the preaching of the Word of God. Wearing ecclesiastical attire is also a safeguard for poverty and chastity.

(Directory for the Ministry and Life of Priests: New Edition. Congregation for the Clergy, 2013. Pp. 82-84)

3 Likes

Curiously, on the Vatican website this document is available in five languages, but English isn’t one of them. It’s the second one on the list:

Priests who wear the cassock attract a lot of flak in the church, being accused of triumphalism etc. For that reason I always congratulate any priest I see wearing one.

5 Likes

Yeah, I recently saw a documentary about priests, and several of them said that they don’t wear the cassock anymore because random people would sometimes throw insults at them.

How does this apply to our Pope Francis? Or even the papal tiara being jettisoned?

Oh no random people is not the problem. It’s Bishops, Priests and their own parishioners!

1 Like

I haven’t (thankfully) seen that with any of the priests in churches I go to, but that sounds horrid!

Yes.

One priest I know in Spain who took to wearing the Cassock in public was summoned by his bishop and told not to for his own good. It was too late, other priests levied a trumped up charge against him. There was a tribunal, he was acquitted but the point was made: don’t go around looking like a traditionalist or we will make your life miserable.

1 Like

Our Priest wears his clerics ALWAYS when in the Parish. He also wears his cassock. I noticed once when we took him out to dinner he had his cassock on and as we were leaving people coming in just stared and kind of looked surprised. They must get so much varying attitudes, some good some bad just from being in clerics. That’s why we MUST pray for them all UNceasingly.

1 Like

SSPX priests wear a cassock at all times. Ive even seen them on a church building site wielding sledgehammers in cassocks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.