The Importance of Personal Holiness in Intercession

During personal devotions I came across this verse from Job 22 and have been meditating on it's implications.

"You will decide on a matter, and it will be established for you, and light will shine on your ways.
When others are humiliated, you say it is pride; for He saves the humble.
He will deliver even those who are guilty; they will escape because of the cleanness of your hands" (Job 22:28).

As a Catholic, I understand very well that I must constantly strive toward personal holiness through the work of the Holy Spirit. This verse adds an increased sense of urgency to that goal. Others, even those who are sinful, may be delivered by the presonal holiness of those who pray for them and seek to guide them in the path of righteousness. How great, kind, and merciful is our God!!

I turned to the Catechism to learn more about intercessory prayer, and found these wonderful paragraphs:

2635 Since Abraham, intercession--asking on behalf of another--has been characteristic of a heart attuned to God's mercy. In the age of the Church, Christian intercession participates in Christ's, as an expression of the communion of saints. In intercession, he who prays looks "not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others," even to the point of praying for those who do him harm (Phil. 2:4; Luke 23:28, 34).

**2636 **The first Christian communities lived this form of fellowship intensely. Thus the Apostle Paul gives them a share in his ministry of preaching the Gospel but also intercedes for them (2 Thess. 1:11; Col. 1:13; Phil. 1:3-4). The intercession of Christians recognizes no boundaries: "for all men, for kings and all who are in high positions," for persecutors, for the salvation of those who reject the Gospel.

This meditation makes my heart so full of joy. Sometimes I do wonder whether my life is of any consequence at all. I attend daily Mass and Eucharistic Adoration, I go to work each day, pray the Liturgy of the Hours, and earnestly seek to live a life that is pleasing to my Beloved. But I am just one small, insignificant person, quite invisible to most people around me. This Scripture gives me some hope that although my life is quite hidden, I may do some good to others through prayer and sacrifice.

It is my heartfelt wish that it may be so.

I am very glad to read your post on this Christmas day. Working toward holiness is also my personal goal and I take it very seriously. The pure hearted will see God. The intercession of Saints are powerful due to their holiness. This world need saints. We are all called to be saints. May we always respond to God’s grace, be pleasing to Him and love Him more and more! Merry Christmas!

Thank you very much! This is exactly what I needed to hear right now :gopray:

Merry Christmas :)

This is so important to hear and remember. Thank you for it. :)

Wow, so we want to become holy, not only to please God and to benefit ourselves but also to help others better through our prayers. God is so good!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.