The Jesuit Relations

Hi everyone,

I am new here and new to the Catholic Faith (been a Protestant for 23 years) and I am considering the religious life and the priesthood. I found this book online:

The Jesuit Relations: and Allied Documents Travels and Explorations of the Jesuit Missionaries in New France

amazon.com/The-Jesuit-Relations-Explorations-ebook/dp/B007KL3UPO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331864067&sr=8-2

It is about Paul Le Jeune who was a Jesuit missionary to New France and it really got my thinking about how far I would go for Christ. Have any of you all heard of this book? Any thoughts?

Stephen

[quote="stephenjames62, post:1, topic:277347"]
Hi everyone,

I am new here and new to the Catholic Faith (been a Protestant for 23 years) and I am considering the religious life and the priesthood. I found this book online:

The Jesuit Relations: and Allied Documents Travels and Explorations of the Jesuit Missionaries in New France

amazon.com/The-Jesuit-Relations-Explorations-ebook/dp/B007KL3UPO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331864067&sr=8-2

It is about Paul Le Jeune who was a Jesuit missionary to New France and it really got my thinking about how far I would go for Christ. Have any of you all heard of this book? Any thoughts?

Stephen

[/quote]

The parts of which I bolded is actually part of Jesuit philosophy called "Magis," which means "the more." Taken from the Jesuit motto, "Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (For the Greater Glory of God). It basically asks the questions: "What have I done for God? What am I doing for God? and What MORE can I do for Him?"

Add these to your thoughts? :)

[quote="choliks, post:2, topic:277347"]
The parts of which I bolded is actually part of Jesuit philosophy called "Magis," which means "the more." Taken from the Jesuit motto, "Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (For the Greater Glory of God). It basically asks the questions: "What have I done for God? What am I doing for God? and What MORE can I do for Him?"

Add these to your thoughts? :)

[/quote]

This is the from one of the first Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius during the colloquy with the dialogue with Christ of the Cross. :)

I am a fan of the Jesuits. Thats one of the reasons I think I like this book so much. :)

Stephen

[quote="stephenjames62, post:3, topic:277347"]
This is the from one of the first Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius during the colloquy with the dialogue with Christ of the Cross. :)

I am a fan of the Jesuits. Thats one of the reasons I think I like this book so much. :)

Stephen

[/quote]

Have you gone to an Ignatian Retreat? :)

I have not… I might like to…

I have read some of the Exercises though… :slight_smile:

Stephen,
Regardless of what Religious order or seminary you consider entering, be sure to keep grounded. Some have teachers and other members who will constantly challenge your beliefs. In some ways, that is good because it can help the postulant/novice/seminarian reach a deeper understanding of his beliefs. On the other hand, I honestly believe that some members don’t accept what the Church teaches on many issues, especially the authority of the magisterium, and they seem to enjoy converting as many Catholics as they can from being faithful members to being the cafeteria variety. Be the beacon of light for them.

[quote="stephenjames62, post:5, topic:277347"]
I have not... I might like to...

I have read some of the Exercises though... :)

[/quote]

Give it a try, it can immensely help your discernment if that is the life you wish to live. :)

[quote="dsfo, post:6, topic:277347"]
Stephen,
Regardless of what Religious order or seminary you consider entering, be sure to keep grounded. Some have teachers and other members who will constantly challenge your beliefs. In some ways, that is good because it can help the postulant/novice/seminarian reach a deeper understanding of his beliefs. On the other hand, I honestly believe that some members don't accept what the Church teaches on many issues, especially the authority of the magisterium, and they seem to enjoy converting as many Catholics as they can from being faithful members to being the cafeteria variety. Be the beacon of light for them.

[/quote]

Well of course. I don't read books like The Jesuit Relations and Spiritual Exercises to be a lukewarm Catholic, who is useless to the Church. I read such books to live. I live so I can share life to the world.

I do not wish to live what is not life... and the thought that many Catholics are doing just that... living what is not life... sickens me.

I honestly wonder what dsfo’s point was. hmmm.:shrug:

[quote="dsfo, post:6, topic:277347"]
Stephen,
Regardless of what Religious order or seminary you consider entering, be sure to keep grounded. Some have teachers and other members who will constantly challenge your beliefs. In some ways, that is good because it can help the postulant/novice/seminarian reach a deeper understanding of his beliefs. On the other hand, I honestly believe that some members don't accept what the Church teaches on many issues, especially the authority of the magisterium, and they seem to enjoy converting as many Catholics as they can from being faithful members to being the cafeteria variety. Be the beacon of light for them.

[/quote]

I have attended a Jesuit parish for many years, and your "opinion" couldn't be farther from my experience. By the time Jesuits take their final vows most have doctorates in theology from some of the most prestigious universities in the world.:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.