The Jewish Annotated New Testament

I recently purchased The Jewish Annotated New Testament, and have found it to be a useful and informative resource. Not so much for its footnotes per se, some of which I found to be less informative on particular elements of 2nd Temple Judean culture than my own New American Bible study edition, but for its essays and narratives. I think from the perspective of Biblical history, it provides a great backdrop for the ministry of Jesus. It’s written respectfully, not critical of Christian beliefs or claims.

For example, its description of “the Law” as understood by modern Talmudic/Rabbinical Jews was very interesting in explaining how the “Oral Torah” provides a way to understand scripture that seems very analogous to the Catholic notion of capital-T Tradition. Describing Second Temple Jewish family structures and attitudes toward women is also a valuable service.

Has anyone else had a chance to read or evaluate this document? Any praises or pans?

I don’t have that one but do have a copy of the “Jewish New Testament” translated by David Stern as well as the commentary. I agree that some of the writings are quite informative.

I have bought two copies, on for my pastor and one for me. It is a great help in finding the connections between Judaism and the roots of Christianity. Much of the commentary is mainline Christian thought, but the articles in the back are strongly Jewish. All in all, a good read and reference.

I must buy this.

-Tim-

I seized on this book when it had a review in Our Sunday Visitor newspaper. That was a couple years ago and I've forgotten the details of what is in the essays, but overall it is worthwhile.

I like the independent assessment of the statements in the NT.

One of the astute observations in there is that Paul did not suggest that Jewish Christians had to drop their Jewish customs, although he elsewhere says that the Gentile converts should not fall prey to the Judaizers, committing them to the precepts of the Law.

This general concept is expanded in Scott Hahn's Letter and Spirit, Vol 7. (there is no index in these publications, for some reason [probably cost]).

The OTHER inexpensive source of Jewish perspectives at a reasonable price is the Jewish Study Bible, from Oxford U. Press.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.