The Jewish People and the State of Israel

Where does the Roman CC stand on these issues? Does it contend with the Jewish ownership of Israel or does it agree?

I previously asked what the CC thought about the Jewish ownership of Israel and if they contend or agree with it. My thread got removed as far as I know.

I don’t think it’s an entirely accurate accurate statement. As far as “ownership” of the state of Israel goes, I think it would be more accurate to describe it as being an Israeli ownership rather than a Jewish ownership. My Jewish neighbor has no ownership in the State of Israel.

I do not believe there is an official position. When it comes to politics, it is merely our opinion, unless politics comes into the sphere of faith and morals. Whether the Holy Land is possessed by Muslims or Jews doesn’t appear to fall into the sphere of faith and morals.

Though I think the Vatican is always concerned for the safety of holy sites and the protection of pilgrims as well as the local Christian Palestinian population.

It seems to me that Vatican diplomacy has always been based on “what actually is” rather than “what ought to be.”

Pius IX recognized Jefferson Davis as president of the Confederacy; no other European power did so.

historicaltextarchive.com/sections.php/sections.php?artid=76&op=viewarticle

II. Recent History of Relations Between Catholics and Jews Zionism in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, 6 a “movement to reassemble the Jews in their ancient homeland,” was not popular with many Catholic Church leaders. Pope Pius X had harsh and unmistakable words in 1904 for a visitor, Theodore Herzl, the father of Zionism. “We [the Church] cannot favor this movement. The Jews did not recognize Jesus, our Lord, and 7 we therefore cannot recognize the Jewish people.” Pius X further promised that “If you come to Palestine and settle your people there, we will be ready with priests and churches to baptize all 8 of you.”

piusxii.info/pius3.htm

The Vatican, from Pius XII through John Paul I, had refused to recognize the State of Israel. This was underscored in Pius’ major disciple, Pope Paul VI who, during his trip to Israel in January of 1964, refrained from even mentioning Israel other than to refer to it in terms of the Holy Land. Since those popes insisted on the internationalization of Jerusalem, the effect was to harden Israel’s view towards the Vatican. However, Pope John Paul II turned all that around by recognizing the State of Israel in the agreements signed on December 30, 1993. By following this up with his historic trip to Israel in March of 2000, he dramatically changed relations between Israel and the Vatican in this great turnaround.

This is a good point.

NP, I haven’t read through this all, but maybe you can find some answers to your questions on this page…

fisheaters.com/jcintro.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.