The Joys of Celibacy

There seems to be a lot of talk on this forum about the negative side effects and difficulty in living a celibate lifestyle for whatever reason. What about all the positive things that come with no sex or masturbation? The things that come to mind right away are.

1. A clear conscience

2. A diminished sex drive

3. Clarity of mind

any more that I am missing?

When I abstained from masturbation my sex drive was through the roof, and a result my mind was far from clear- since then I haven’t had either problem and certainly don’t feel any guilt about it.

Yes, masturbation stops the urge temporarily but the sex drive is made stronger in the long run. The only way to kill a sex drive is by starvation. It will not die easily but it is the only way to completely destroy it.

Biology contradicts your logic- your desire to reproduce shouldn’t go down as a result of you not reproducing (or tricking your body into think you’re reproducing).
And I’ve seen no qualified individual or group claim that masturbation leads to increased sex drive and that lack thereof does the opposite.

Masturbation is never an option. It is gravely sinful.

A topic titled “The Joys of Not Murdering Your Wife” would make as much sense!

We are all called to live a chaste life, married or not. Every one of us, married or not, will have periods of celibacy. If we have given God lordship of our entire lives, we will have a far better chance at avoiding sexual sins.

That is why it isn’t called "The Joys of Chastity. Celibacy is defined as abstinence from sexual activity so it wouldn’t include sexually active married couples even if they are being chaste. There is a plus side of abstaining from sex whether you are married or single which doesn’t get discussed nearly enough.

I am going to guess that tjm is aware that the church considers masterbation gravely sinful( and it appears he may disagree with that), but that is irrelevent to his point. He would like some evidence that to show that masterbating leads to an increase in sex drive, or that avoiding it does the opposite.

Well I know such evidence does not exist because the claim is false- I’m not making any statement on the sinfulness of masturbation, simply challenging a claim made in the OP.

Words MEAN something.

Here is how the Catechism defines chastity:

**2337 Chastity means the successful integration of sexuality within the person and thus the inner unity of man in his bodily and spiritual being. Sexuality, in which man’s belonging to the bodily and biological world is expressed, becomes personal and truly human when it is integrated into the relationship of one person to another, in the complete and lifelong mutual gift of a man and a woman. **The virtue of chastity therefore involves the integrity of the person and the integrality of the gift.

**2349 “People should cultivate [chastity] in the way that is suited to their state of life. Some profess virginity or consecrated celibacy which enables them to give themselves to God alone with an undivided heart in a remarkable manner. Others live in the way prescribed for all by the moral law, whether they are married or single.” Married people are called to live conjugal chastity; others practice chastity in continence: **

****There are three forms of the virtue of chastity: the first is that of spouses, the second that of widows, and the third that of virgins. We do not praise any one of them to the exclusion of the others. . . . This is what makes for the richness of the discipline of the Church.

We are all called to live lives of Chastity.

Celibacy, from the dictionary:

**1.****abstention from sexual relations.****2.****abstention by vow from marriage: *the celibacy of priests. *****3.**the state of being unmarried.

There will be times when a married couple will practice celibacy. When they are separated, during illnesses, or for the regulation of births.

There can be celibate marriages, these are called Josephite Marriages.

are you always so pedantic? A married couple who abstains for whatever reason is not practicing celibacy. If that were the case just about every married man would also be a celibate since there will always be periods of abstinence in every marriage. Celibacy is the freely chosen and permanent state of continence and is distinct from chastity. everyone is called to practice chastity but not everyone is called to a life of celibacy.

It seems so obvious that I didn’t think anyone would disagree with it. I am not a professional psychologist but every Catholic psychologist I’ve read seems to agree that masturbation strengthens desire and lust. Maybe you can start another thread on the affect of masturbation on the id and libido. I would be interested to find out more about it.

I am not sure there are any scientific statements that denying ones sexual appetites will eventually diminish them - though often age eventually will.:slight_smile:

However, it is overwhelmingly the experience of people that really take on celibacy as a vocation that it does eventually happen. But, it often gets worse before it gets better. That is pretty much the same with other biological drives. Eating junk or immoderately is hard to give up, as is caffeine, or smoking. And the initial period of abstaining is often very difficult indeed. Eventually, however, it improves, though it may never go away completely.

Funny how people in the past few years want to dismiss the true meaning of words and get very defiant…

A married couple can practice temporary or permanant celibacy. That is a fact. You are free to deny it all day long, does not change the fact.

Those addictions are caused by the substances that satisfy them, so the addiction declines when those chemicals are removed. But hormones released by sexual activity are not what powers the libido. I shall hereby take a hint from the OP and vacate the thread

Why would one want a diminished sex drive? Why would one want celibacy? It goes against everything you are.

Just goes to show you, we are all very different. One persons “heaven” could be another’s “hell.” Just another example, you can’t treat everyone the same - because we are not.

The idea of “starving” your sex drive to eliminate it sounds pretty rediculous to me. The urge to have sex is an instinct and you can’t “starve” and instinct. All animals that mate to reproduce have it and we’re no different (yes humans are still animals, we just have big brains). The urge is always there even if people go through high and low points of sexual desire throughout their lives.

Some philosophers will argue there is no such thing as human instinct.

Some philosophers will argue there is no such thing as human instinct.

I’d be curious to know who and why they argue that. Instintive patterns in humans are all over the place. Instince refers to action patterns that are inherited rather than learned. Just the action of eating is an instinct, fight or flight responses, walking, etc.

McMurray, I think that was the guy from my phil class. There is a difference between instinct and reflex. Respectfully, I remember my mother telling me to chew my food all the way, I did not know how to walk at birth and the fight or flight response is a reflex. No human knows how to get to their place of birth without knowing the address nor can they tell when the seasons will end except through reason. Every human baby is completely vulnerable and has no means of caring for itself, unlike animals that have instincts who knows to hide to avoid danger or go to the water for drink and food.

Also, no animal has the ability to mend itself for perfection. If the sexual drive is an instinct, then the person would have a terrible time changing it. Imagine if a child grew up without knowing about the lies of sexuality we are taught. The world will be very different.

Who cares about your philosophers. Celibacy was given to priests from the catholic church and it certainly doesn’t work for them. Look at all those children that have been molested since the 1940’s. It doesn’t work, it is abnormal. You can fight it, but you will eventually give in because of HUMAN INSTINCT.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.