The Joys of Celibacy

You obviously understand nothing about pedophilia. If all those priests had been married they would have molested their own children.

0 Likes

I think we should define some terms.

Celibacy means not getting married for religious reasons. This of course means one is giving up sex.

Chastity means behaving sexually according to ones station in life. Married people have sex with only their spouse, single people do not for example.

Continence means periodic abstinence/restrain from intercouse. Could last a very long time.

0 Likes

Was not priestly celibacy a big movement in the Church before it was mandated?

Please control your responses. Speaking like that gets you nowhere. For the majority of religious and the ordained, it has worked or the Church would not exist. The vast majority, roughly 95% I believe, were not molesters and served the Church well.

0 Likes

Honestly I have no idea who McMurray is and it’s not enough to go off of in a google search:) No, you did not know how to walk at birth, partly because your muscles weren’t strong enough to support your own weight, but children will eventually instinctively learn to walk with no outside interference from parents. I’m not sure why you say humans can’t have instincts but animals can since humans are animals, we just happen to be smart animals.

Fight or flight, I guess we could call it an instictive reflex. I suppose if you want to look at it in this way the reflex happens when something happens to trigger the response but the instinct comes in with what happens to to your body which can include these symptoms which is basically a reaction of the body to extreme stress:

[LIST]
*]Acceleration of heart and lung action
*]Paling or flushing, or alternating between both
*]Inhibition of stomach and upper-intestinal action (digestion slows down or stops)
*]General effect on the sphincters of the body
*]Constriction of blood vessels in many parts of the body
*]Liberation of nutrients for muscular action
*]Dilation of blood vessels for muscles
*]Inhibition of Lacrimal gland (responsible for tear production) and salivation
*]Dilation of pupil (mydriasis)
*]Relaxation of bladder
*]Evacuation of colon
*]Inhibition of erection
*]Auditory Exclusion (loss of hearing)
*]Tunnel Vision (loss of peripheral vision)
*]Acceleration of instantaneous reflexes
[/LIST]

Most of these things aren’t learned, a few are but usually they’re volunatry. :slight_smile: Instincts are all over nature from the path birds fly in the spring and fall to what insects eat. We humans may not rely on our instincts as much because it doesn’t take much to go hunt down a pizza at the grociery story but we still have them.

0 Likes

That’s just it, people don’t change it, people can fool themselves all they want and supress it but no ones sex drive truly goes away.

0 Likes

No STD’s? :thumbsup:

0 Likes

I wish we had more responses here to the original post :(. I’ve heard from my priest that those who adhere to vows of virginity receive great graces, especially in religious orders. I don’t know what those graces are, but I definitely remember hearing they do exist.

No one said it would be eliminated. They just said it would be greatly reduced. To me, this makes perfect sense. I’ve “starved” mine some by staying clear of all images of scantily clad women in magazines, movies, the Internet or anywhere else that might be an avenue of temptation. Consequently, while in the past my mind frequently went into sexually exciting images, now it’s cleaned out. I hardly ever think about that anymore.

You may not believe it, but taking a firm stand against something does work.

Your idea that this is “unnatural” also is irrelevant. Fasting is also unnatural, yet it purifies the body and soul both, and leads a person into deeper union with God. It is beneficial even without being natural. Some people adopt fasting as a lifestyle, even though eating is natural and they’re wired to do it. Like celibacy, it has great benefits.

You’re ignoring the fact that human beings have free will and we make the final decisions over how we will behave, even if we’re heavily influenced by either the Spirit of the flesh. Some things that are unpleasant for the flesh can have wonderfully positive results for the spirit, or for both the body and the spirit, depending on what they are. Celibacy is GREAT! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thank-you, God, for providing for your Church not only the Sacrament of Marriage, a tremendous blessing, but also brave and glorious souls that would renounce sexual relations for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven.

0 Likes

I think I heard the number of unfaithful priests was somewhere between 1 and 2 percent of all priests. This also was found to be much smaller than the number of professionals in other fields and ministers in other religions who committed crimes of molesting children or having sex with patients where it wasn’t permitted by their code of ethics. The Church’s pedophiles are just being spotlighted all over the media because it loves to attack the Church. They don’t make comparisons to the number of pedophiles in other disciplines at all, because it would be no story if they said, “1 - 2 % of all Catholic priests appear to molest children . . . and 5% of Protestant ministers, and 10% of all teachers in secular schools . . . etc. . . .” Can you imagine what a boring story that would be?

That’s the media for you.

0 Likes

Back to the original topic, here are some of the positive effects of celibacy according to St. Paul:

1 Corinthians 7:

Now in regard to virgins, I have no commandment from the Lord, 11 but I give my opinion as one who by the Lord’s mercy is trustworthy.
So this is what I think best because of the present distress: that it is a good thing for a person to remain as he is.
Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek a separation. Are you free of a wife? Then do not look for a wife.
If you marry, however, you do not sin, nor does an unmarried woman sin if she marries; but such people will experience affliction in their earthly life, and I would like to spare you that.
12 I tell you, brothers, the time is running out. From now on, let those having wives act as not having them,
those weeping as not weeping, those rejoicing as not rejoicing, those buying as not owning,
those using the world as not using it fully. For the world in its present form is passing away.
I should like you to be free of anxieties. An unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord.
But a married man is anxious about the things of the world, how he may please his wife,
and he is divided. An unmarried woman or a virgin is anxious about the things of the Lord, so that she may be holy in both body and spirit. A married woman, on the other hand, is anxious about the things of the world, how she may please her husband.
I am telling you this for your own benefit, not to impose a restraint upon you, but for the sake of propriety and adherence to the Lord without distraction.

0 Likes

True 100% celibacy is out of reach for the vast majority of people. Sooner or later, almost everyone will give in. We have a sinful nature plain and simple. The nature of man is toward sexual immorality of all sorts.

*“If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.” *1 John 1:8

Does this mean that it’s okay for us to just masturbate at will? Absolutely not. But by allowing Christ to *live his life through us *we are better able to resist these evil tendencies. Focusing on our own power to resist these particular urges always leads to failure.

0 Likes

Best estimates are that less than 2% of Catholic priests have molested children. This is on par with the general population and that of various protestant denominations. Don’t blame the celibacy requirement for this. The bigger sin was the ensuing cover up at the direction of the hierarchy.

0 Likes

Ok so here is one more advantage that I just thought about

1. Extreme Kung Fu power. no matter how much you practice you just don’t achieve the single mindedness and prowess needed for Kung Fu until you become celibate.
0 Likes

Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body
John Paul II

0 Likes

WRONG again. Bruce Lee was the best Kung Fu fighter ever, he had 2 kids & a wife. Jet Li is also married with kids.

You’re being lied 2.

0 Likes

Biology contradicts your logic- your desire to reproduce shouldn’t go down as a result of you not reproducing (or tricking your body into think you’re reproducing).
And I’ve seen no qualified individual or group claim that masturbation leads to increased sex drive and that lack thereof does the opposite.

From what I understand it affects the sperm production.

0 Likes

FYI, I didn’t find this pedantic at all. Defining terms is a very basic method of ensuring communication.

0 Likes

The sex drive is a great source of nervous energy that can be channeled into other things when one is celibate. It isn’t exactly fun, but it can be very useful.

0 Likes

YA! Life in general.:thumbsup:

0 Likes

For un married people only! It should never be practiced by married people it goes against the bible. you do not own your body your spouse does and a woman shall not withold from her husband and a man shall not with hold rom his wife. That is what is causing all the divorces in the world when you try to live like a nun or prist it is not of Godf be as God made you submit to your wife a husband and no oe willgo out and cheat.ETC.

0 Likes

Well, of course! Celibacy means people in an unmarried state! People who are married are supposed to use that nervous energy as a big fat hint from their biology that they are called to communion with their spouse.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.