The Kindle and the Roman Missal

A couple of weeks ago, I notice a man in Mass who was reading his kindle during the liturgy. At first I was taken aback, but after watching him for a while, it was clear that he was reading the Roman Missal.

I'm not sure where he got it, because I haven't been able to find it on Amazon, but I didn't look too hard.

Online I find a USCCB blog that expressed concerns about using tablets and e-readers during liturgy--mainly because tablets and e-readers are not treated with the respect that hard copy liturgical texts are. Also, those types of media devices may also be used for unholy behavior, for example the iPad may also be used for viewing inappropriate websites. The blog did not say that we can't use them, but urged caution.

What do you think?

Its probably better to have a book. A tablet has all sorts of other distractions and temptations to not give the Mass its proper due. Also, it does cause some scandal in the Mass, and people will chatter about it. That should be considered as well

That being said, if you're in a jam and need to read something, I think its ok. I've used my phone to remember prayers, what day the rosary mysteries are, or to look up examinations of conscience (for instance).

I use the Catholicone app on my android phone: it also has the Daily Readings with commentary, all the Catholic prayers in English and Latin, the Rosary and the New American and the Douay Rheims bible.

Well, I have a significant visual impairment whic makes reading my kindle much easier than a book so I would be offended if someone gave me heat about reading it at Mass.

So does a female acquaintance in our congregation. She can read only huge print. Her husband gave her a Samsung tablet, which she uses during Mass, and more power to her. As for me, I plan to Kindle myself after New Year’s, and if I can get a Roman Missal for it, I will use it.

I think after enough years has passed, it may be less "taboo" to use such electronic devices as devotional aids during liturgy. When that point will come, I have no idea. I would feel weird using one, and it opens the possibility for people to surf the web rather than participate in the Mass, but I certainly wouldn't look down on someone for using one.

Obviously, it's different for the priest. I can see a priest using an iPad app of the Missal if he was saying Mass for a group of campers in the wilderness or some such out-of-the-ordinary scenario. But for regular usage, I don't think the physical book is going anywhere anytime soon.

The third English edition of the Roman Missal, including texts for use in Australia, England and Wales, Scotland and the United States of America, is now available in an eMissal version. The text includes:

* The Proper of Time
* The Order of Mass
* The Proper of Saints
* Commons
* Masses and Prayers for Various Needs and Intentions
* Ritual Masses
* Votive Masses
* Masses for the Dead
* Appendices

Link

I’ve been looking for a Kindle missal for a few months - I travel a lot to non-English speaking countries on business and I like to have an English missal with me when I attend mass but am restricted on what luggage I can take. Having it on a kindle will allow me to follow mass in Vietnam, Hong Kong, Zambia, Malawi, Oman, UAE, Sir Lanka and many other countries. I can’t see how it is disrespectful.

Boldface mine–I don’t agree with this. The hard copy liturgical texts are used as sketchpads and note pads, chewed on (by little ones, usually), twisted, dropped, ripped, and stuffed back into the pew rack with bent pages.

:thumbsup:

Paperback missals are tossed casally onto the seat of the chairs/pews, allowed to fall on the floor and even thrown in the trash when they expire. A Kindle would be treated with much more care than that.

I have never used one in Mass. I do use an ereader when I go to adoration. But I put it away when other people are there. It’s a chapel frequented by students and I don’t want them to get the wrong idea. In a very short time, I predict they will be a common sight.

[quote=Cbus;8708104 At first I was taken aback, but after watching him for a while, it was clear that he was reading the Roman Missal
]

“Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I’m not perfect and I don’t live to be. But, before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."

How does it effect you if he was playing games on the kindle in mass. Honestly, the devil is tempting you to focus on the man with the kindle and not on prayer. He has won over you at mass. Do us a favor and focus on yourself.
[/quote]

I just purchased the Order of the Mass and Daily Mass Readings for my Kindle. They are contained within “The Word Among Us Catholic Mass Edition” on Amazon.
I love having the missal on my Kindle because I can adjust the font size (eliminating the need to put on and take off my reading glasses) and because it is so easy to navigate this Kindle book. Just clicking on the center of my arrow keys will take me to the index - from anywhere that I happen to be.

The difference between an iPad and a Kindle is that once the books are downloaded, you do not need to depend on a wireless connection. The Bible I thought was completely downloaded on my iPhone still needs a wireless connection to access.

iPad may be the same for the missal but can also be accessible to the web if there is wireless in the church (which is not in mine)

I understand what you’re saying about mishandling of the books in the pews, however these books have only one purpose, liturgy. Electronic devices are put to many other uses as well, most having nothing to do with the Mass. I remember some discussion a while back about priests wanting to use electronic tablets on the altar (which is a different matter, of course) and being told that it was unacceptable due to a personal device is not consecrated for that specific purpose and cannot be on the altar.

Our priest was traveling to Colombia, South America last year and brought the Roman Missal with him on his ipad. It was a blessing because he was able to say Mass for people in rural areas as he traveled. He would never bring out his ipad for Sunday Mass here, though. Technology can be a good thing, but we still have to use common sense.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.