the King James bibe: a "Q" to ponder & discuss

The King James Bible is widely used and accepted.

My question for consideration AND discussion is:

WOULD /Could their be a King James Bible without the Catholic Church?

I’m going to say ‘Yes’. Only because there was a bible already in Latin, and I think if not the King James version, then another version in the vernacular would have came about. I don’ t think the bible being printed in English is itself what gave course. Our rich heritage and traditions did that. :slight_smile:

Well the obvious answer is no since it was the Catholic Church which compiled the bible in the first place…

And since the Catholic Church only exists because Jesus came and founded it…that would mean no Jesus to found the Church - and no Jesus for the evangelists to write about so no NT…

We’d still be under the old covenant.

Roses are Redish
Violets are Bluish
If ti wasn’t for Christmas
We all would be Jewish…:smiley:

Peace
James

=St Stoli;11145912]I’m going to say ‘Yes’. Only because there was a bible already in Latin, and I think if not the King James version, then another version in the vernacular would have came about. I don’ t think the bible being printed in English is itself what gave course. Our rich heritage and traditions did that. :slight_smile:

Was not dear freind, that A CTHOLIC Latin Bible?:slight_smile:

:whistle:

Well done! I’m so silly sometimes :slight_smile:

There could be no bible without the Catholic Church, since it was the Church which wrote, collected, compiled, and approved the scriptures as well as the canon of scripture. I am speaking of the New Testament here. But even for the old testament, it was the Church which approved the use of the Latin Vulgate derived from the Septuagint. And the Septuagint was the closest thing the Jewish tradition had to a formally approved scripture; it was used by the Apostles.

To take it from another angle, it was the printing press that made vernacular Bibles possible. The cost of producing a handwritten Bible was too high for general distribution. A handwritten Bible, called the Saint John’s Bible, was produced in the late 90’s. A total of 299 were made at a cost of $8,000,000. Only about 100 have been sold so far.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.