The Labora in "Ora et Labora"

For those religious orders that practice manual labor in their charism and livelihoods (the Benedictines, as an example, come straight to mind), what sort of jobs are assigned to the monks?

Also, I understand that each community will be different but, generally, how much time per day is given over to manual labor each day?

This post from the group Benedictine Spirituality might help answer your question...kind of hard to understand though but you can always ask questions! The Holy Rule of St. Benedict : Chapter 48

[quote="JMJ_coder, post:1, topic:195172"]

Also, I understand that each community will be different but, generally, how much time per day is given over to manual labor each day?

[/quote]

JMJ Coder, I really can't give you an answer, but here is the basic daily schedule at one Benedictine monastery:
bluecloud.org/lifeofassociate.html

Of course, in addition to differences between monasteries, I think the season of the year will also alter the amount of time spent working. I know our local Trappestine abbey spends more time producing candy during the run up to Christmas, compared to the rest of the year. I dimly recall (its been years since I visited their websites) that monasteries engaged in any kind of outdoor work, such as farming, will find that winter labor is less demanding of time than labor in the spring and fall.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.