The Lady in Black by Uriah Heep is the greatest song I have ever heared!

Through the Lady in Black,

So this is one of the greatest songs I have ever heared. It's undoubtly among those few modern songs which are actually decent and not pointless. But this song was so powerful that I literally started crying when listening to it. It is such a perfect picture of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the confidence which we should all have in Her. As I heared it, I became so sad because of the lack of trust and confidence which I have in Her and the lack of love which we all show towards Her, catholics and protestants alike.

Here are two links to two versions of the beautiful song. One is the original while the other is gregorian chant I have nop preference between one and the other. Below the links I have the lyrics:

youtube.com/watch?v=VaqnyFmbshM

youtube.com/watch?v=zXhD6aVq7eI&feature=related

Lady in Black by Uriah Heep

She came to me one morning
One lonely Sunday morning
Her long hair flowing
In the midwinter wind
I know not how she found me
For in darkness I was walking
And destruction lay around me
From a fight I could not win
Ah ah ah ...

She asked me name my foe then
I said the need within some men
To fight and kill their brothers
Without thought of love or God
And I begged her give me horses
To trample down my enemy
So eager was my passion
To devour this waste of life
Ah ah ah ...

But she would not think of battle that
REDUCES men to animals
So easy to begin
And then impossible to end
For she, the mother of all men
had counselled me so wisely then
I feared to walk alone again
And asked if she would stay
Ah ah ah ...

Oh lady lend your hand I cried
And let me rest here at your side
Have faith and trust
In me she said
And filled my heart with life
There is no strength in numbers
Have no such misconception
But when you need me
Be assured I won't be far away
Ah ah ah ...

Thus having spoke she turned away
And though I found no words to say
I stood and watched until I saw
Her black form disappear
My labor is no easier
But now I know I'm not alone
I find new heart each time
I think upon that windy day
And if one day she comes to you
Drink deeply from her words so wise
Take courage from her
As your prize
And say hello for me
Ah ah ah ...

I didn't realize that there's another version of that song on their second album's reissue (extended edition.) Will have to check it out. Thanks. :)

What wonderful lyrics.

I think God uses artists sometimes with / without their consent to speak to people (especially to our youth who are in desperate need of good messages).

I also like the Beatles song - Let It Be - it contains:

"Mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdome, let it be."

I also like ones that are more subltle - like Jason Mraz, "I'm Yours" if you read it in the context of your relashonship with God.

Well open up your mind and see like me
Open up your plans and damn you're free
Look into your heart and you'll find love love love
Listen to the music of the moment people dance and sing, were just one big family
It's our God-forsaken right to be loved love loved love love

So I won't hesitate no more, no more
It cannot wait I'm sure
There's no need to complicate
Our time is short
This is our fate, I'm yours

Even though I obviously know who the Beatles are, I don't know a single song of theirs. I'm just a teenager, but I don't know if they actually said that out of devotion towards the Blessed Mother or to show Her respect. The Beatles were pagans and filthy degenerates, even going so far as to tape John Lennon and his wife doing lewd acts on each other. They were also responsible for why alot of girls dress immodestly and act, not menaing to offend those who are actually disabled, like they are retarded. Forget stupid Twilight, as the song said, we have the Blessed Virgin and though our plight and sufferings in this world aren't easy, we have the Blessed Virgin who is always giving us graces to help us go to heaven. She is not far away. We need only mention Her name and be assured that She is hearing us.

I know the Beatles came from Catholic backgrounds as a part of the Irish settlements in Liverpool, but I have never seen anything about any influence this may have had on them or their music

[quote="Hokomai, post:5, topic:226146"]
I know the Beatles came from Catholic backgrounds as a part of the Irish settlements in Liverpool, but I have never seen anything about any influence this may have had on them or their music

[/quote]

It has some influence. There are a couple of their songs that deal with religious themes explicitly and some where it deals with such themes in indirect manner.

[quote="philipmarie, post:4, topic:226146"]
Even though I obviously know who the Beatles are, I don't know a single song of theirs. I'm just a teenager, but I don't know if they actually said that out of devotion towards the Blessed Mother or to show Her respect. The Beatles were pagans and filthy degenerates, even going so far as to tape John Lennon and his wife doing lewd acts on each other. They were also responsible for why alot of girls dress immodestly and act, not menaing to offend those who are actually disabled, like they are retarded. Forget stupid Twilight, as the song said, we have the Blessed Virgin and though our plight and sufferings in this world aren't easy, we have the Blessed Virgin who is always giving us graces to help us go to heaven. She is not far away. We need only mention Her name and be assured that She is hearing us.

[/quote]

As you don't know a single song of theirs why are you presuming to make these comments? They sound to be frank ill-thought out and show a lack of knowledge of the historical backdrop the Beatles evolved in and also of cultural shifts across the decades. From their era I prefer Jimi Hendrix (although I do have a fairly large number of Beatles CDs and records) who despite his public reputation as a wild man who played guitar with his teeth also had an interest in religion.

Well, actually, I did hear today the song 'Let it be', and I heared the tune before. It is absolutely true that Mother Mary speaks to us words of wisdom and that She is always there. Bit it doesn't mean that the Beatles are actually good and holy people. They initiated the sexual revolution and they were known satanists and pagans, what, with their guru?

They even had an album showing them surrounded by disembodied babies (although that is nothing to the horrifying album which Scorpiens released, featuring a five year old girl totally naked in an obscene pose which I am not going to reproduce here because it is innapropriate.)

[quote="philipmarie, post:8, topic:226146"]
Well, actually, I did hear today the song 'Let it be', and I heared the tune before. It is absolutely true that Mother Mary speaks to us words of wisdom and that She is always there. Bit it doesn't mean that the Beatles are actually good and holy people. They initiated the sexual revolution and they were known satanists and pagans, what, with their guru?

They even had an album showing them surrounded by disembodied babies (although that is nothing to the horrifying album which Scorpiens released, featuring a five year old girl totally naked in an obscene pose which I am not going to reproduce here because it is innapropriate.)

[/quote]

To say the Beatles initiated the sexual revolution is to vastly misunderstood the historical perspective that occurred against and the forces and trends motivating it. To say they were involved in that paradigm shift due to existing in the era where the most significant trends in that movement occurred is a more reasonable proposition.

The 'disembodied babies' were actually dolls and pieces of meat and it was intended as something of a comment on the Vietnam war. It's not the most tasteful cover ever in the history of rock music but it does not feature actual disembodied babies.

Claiming the Beatles were known Satanists means the onus is on you to prove that if you are claiming it. Pagans is another charge entirely and the Beatles involvement with gurus was rather mixed with Ringo Starr regarding it as a lot of claptrap as did after a time Paul and John. George Harrison of course infamously went on to take a lifelong interest in the Hare Krishna movement, but since George probably did more to help the unfortunate of the world than the vast majority of people I have quite a lot of respect for the man. People always mention Live Aid but forget that Harrison's efforts at fund raising for those hit by disaster in Bangladesh predated that by nearly two decades.

"Mother Mary" is a reference to Paul McCartney's mother, who died when he was quite young/

John

EDIT: Woops! Oldcelt beat me to it :)

[quote="JohnMPhilomena, post:3, topic:226146"]

I also like the Beatles song - Let It Be - it contains:

"Mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdome, let it be."

[/quote]

Well, simply put, Paul's mother was named Mary ;)

I always thought this lyric referred to the Virgin Mary as well and sometimes words do have two meanings. Paul McCartney was baptised Catholic, and his mother Mary was Catholic but his farther was agnostic. No doubt he knew of the Blessed Mother Mary
George Harrison was also born to a Catholic family, but so far as I know no Beatles practice(d) Christianity.

There are two other songs which I really find religous and haunting. They are all from the film called Watchmen (which I read about, liked it's premise and plot and has inspired me alot in writing novels otherwise, it is a dastartedly immoral film with over the top sexuality which really, isn't even necessary. Lets not go off topic people, this thread isn't about how immoral films are) as it's versions of the songs are just perfect.

One is the sound of silence: youtube.com/watch?v=7tyxEAY7EV8 Man is this song beautiful, I'm always singing it during the day as it is so sad. The fourth verse is my favourite because it is exactly how we listened to our Lady's requests to be devoted to Her:(.

Here is another version of the same song which I also like. Both have diffirent moods: youtube.com/watch?v=fud0mq_TR2w&feature=related

Hallelujah. This one is beautiful. I can just imagine one of the characters in my book as he struggles against the temptations of the demons with this music playing in the background: youtube.com/watch?v=0XTolid5SaY&feature=related

This song plays in the beginning of Watchmen and I found it quite disturbing. It leaves you feeling empty inside. This version is undoubtedly the only good and decent version on you tube because all the others aren't even by Bob Dylan: youtube.com/watch?v=DoMzzXMUof8

And, of course, the Ave Maria! This is the most famous and the most widely used: youtube.com/watch?v=2bosouX_d8Y

Does anyone here know any more songs which are dedicated to the Blessed Virgin? They can be of any genre, except of course those which are rough, I hate that kind of music honestly. They can be hymns especially and in any language and I'm crazy about hymns dedicated to Mary!

You do realise the song 'All Along the Watchtower' which features prominetly in Watchmen is also Biblically inspired? Watchmen is a less than inspired version of the original source material and misses the whole point of much of that by several cosmic miles or so. Only the actor playing Rorschach I felt got close to the spirit of the actual character as he was in the original.

**Thanks so much for this thread. **It's very interesting to read the original post and appreciate the positive aspects philipmarie has derived from the Lyrics of this song, as well as the valid points made by others. I'm a newbie around here. However, years ago and throughout my life I have been deeply involved in some way or another within the Music Industry, and so if it's ok to make some points, I really feel I should.

My main point is, whether we are talking about Uriah Heep or The Beatles, if you speak to any Composer, Lyricist or Songwriter, they will tell you that after talking with their fans it becomes very apparent to them, that the listener has read into some aspect of the words or music, something that they never, ever intended, that truly hadn't even crossed their mind at all, as they wrote.This is why Film's, great as they are, pall in comparison to a Book. When we read a good book the words can cause many deeply personal subconscious connections and thoughts to arise from within our minds and imaginations, that we then project onto the powerful medium which we are experiencing, and thus attribute our own singular interpretation, significance or meaning to it.

With the greatest possible respect, and though I value tremendously the fact that something valuable has been drawn from this music by the poster, I do believe this is what happening here. I can write this with great authority because the unassailable fact is, this song was inspired by "the vision of an unknown girl". It was written in the month of November in the City of Bradford. I know all this, because the sleeve of the Album informs me of these facts.

The original post took me back some years, for in those days you could have found me stood on stage with Uriah Heep, I was working for the Promoter that organised the Concerts. So it's probably true to say, I have genuine insight into what they were about, having spent time with them both in Dressing Rooms and on Stage in Concert Halls. Although they seemed to be a personable bunch of men. It's true to say that their Music was then at least, characterised as very down, deeply depressing, powerfully presented, very sad music. Many groups at that time, seemed to exploit a media interest in the occult, though having met them I wouldn't judge them to be blatantly satanic, but its true to say they definitely dabbled in drugs and other debilitating excesses, that led them to lose a member to heroin and another to fits and drink related liver damage.

For the record I have never taken Illegal Drugs in my entire life, and seldom drink. Though one might enjoy Uriah Heep's Music, in doing so, we not should not lose sight of the dangers that are so very closely associated to it. If we continually listen to Music specifically created to make us sad and depressed, that encourages us to identify with and feel comfortable in that state, we are in danger of denying our absolute Heritage of Faith, that is overcoming Joy and Freedom of The Holy Spirit.

Music is like Money, it can be used for good or bad. To build Hospitals and Schools to heal and educate, or design Weapons and Bombs to maim and kill. The real point is, to be aware of separating the Composers and their destructive lifestyles and messages from any personal Appreciation and Interpretation of their Music, and have open eyes to the dangers that could drip feed lead our unconscious minds, towards embracing lifestyle values, that are entirely contrary to our Faith.

I could write extensively about The Beatles, that were being discussed early and make a great many points, as the very same Promoter put on Concerts for The Beatles, just at the time they were having their first Chart Hits, it would great for any Beatles enthusiast, and completely relevant to the thread. But I am trying to keep this post as short as possible.

**However, I trust that as we profoundly reflect upon these matters, we will see that 'The Spirit' of what we allow into our lives affects us deeply, subconsciously, in ways we cannot always fully appreciate at the time.

That we are called to be' Vessels of The Holy Spirit', and that we should guard ourselves, and keep ourselves, entirely free from every powerful influence contrary to our calling.**

I make no criticism, of the original poster at all, I applaud their valuable contribution. But let their words enhance and underline my essential salient point.

Quote: "this song was so powerful that I literally started crying when listening to it."

Quote: "As I heared it, I became so sad."

Therein is the danger.

P

Well PinkPanther, thanks for the insight and you are right that we shouldn't focus and have affection to music that is so sad and depressing:). But such songs do show the realities of life and if we listen to them, not as a hobby exactly although that can be done, but as a sort of reflection then I don't think that'd be wrong.

This doesn't in the least mean that songs have a religion of their own. Catholics read the Bible as it reflects on the life of Jesus and Mary and the Church but we don't believe it to be the only rule of faith and we don't base off our religion on it's teachings... we base our religion on love and Christs commandments.

All the best. May Mary bless you and lead you to the Catholic Church!

And as God sends his spirit into the sub-concious mind of songwriters, let us remember to enjoy the music and God’s messages that are sometimes included, and rejoice in the God-given talents of the musicians.

But let’s also remember not to make heros of musicians, sports figures, and movie stars. Because what we see is only a part of who they are. Remember Tiger Woods? I thought he was a clean cut, hard-working man that we could admire. His adultery has cost him his marriage and I pray that he has amended his ways.

Any way, the point is - admire their God-given talents, but if you really want someone to look up to, study and emulate the lives of the saints or an upstanding family member.

Thanks for the fun thread,
John Marie Philomena

**Hi phillipmarie! Thanks so much for your kind sentiments and thoughtful comments. **Perhaps I should write that in responding to this thread, I am not in reality trying to get at you, but rather using your interesting post, to make a far broader point about Heavy Rock Music in general and specific Groups in particular, that I trust may speak volumes, to those that need to read it.

Quote: “we shouldn’t focus and have affection to music that is so sad and depressing”

Certain people, unlike yourself perhaps, get so deeply into music that has a powerfully negative or melancholy spirit, that it finds a response within them, an echo that resonates with their life’s experience, and they find they can identify with and draw comfort from the fact, that others understand how they feel. Even within the repertoire of great Classic Music, for example Samuel Barbers Adagio for Strings is tremendously moving, powerful and poignant. Dissonance can at times convey incredible sadness, that many can relate to, for we live in a world which has experienced the fall of man and the consequences of sin, with all its dire outworking in human tragedy. Even Country Music thrives at times on human relationships in great difficulties. None of this, in itself is wrong.

The problem comes with two issues. One is when we identify more with the sadness and problems of this world, and begin to wallow in them, rather than take our sadness’s to the foot of The Cross, and leave them there, at Jesus’ feet. It’s a form of self indulgent focus and preoccupation, and self centeredness is of course, the primary sin. Here’s the opening line from a Barbara Streisand Hit.“It’s not easy to be happy, sometimes it’s more comfortable to be sad.” That is the essential problem here.

**The consolation and comfort we should find is in Christ, and the Grace God extends to us through his Sacrifice on the cross, and the resounding Joy of his Triumphant Resurrection. **We should not find comfort, and an inner power, in Sadness. This brings me neatly to the second issue.

Which is, particular genres of Popular Music deliberately seek to exploit the lower tendencies of human nature. Promiscuous Sex, Rebellion, Anarchy, Identity Confusion, Negativism, The Occult and indeed, deeply melancholy Human Tragedy and Sadness are not uncommon themes. The manipulation and exploitation involved here is sometimes utterly Machiavellian. Certain Heavy Rock Groups like those previously mentioned, were strongly at the forefront of such debasement, and in such circumstances I believe it behooves us to be fully aware and conscious, of the ‘Character of Spirit’ that we are exposing ourselves to. Sometimes it is clearly no less than Demonic.

But if I may, I would like to return to the central point I began with, but move away from the Heavy Rock, and on to The Beatles as I can illustrate more fully what I am trying to convey utilizing them as an example. What I want to discuss, is the fact that all around us, every moment, every minute, every hour of every day, we are absorbing elements of the values, culture and environment in which we live. Usually, most of this activity occurs on an entirely subconscious level, and we are not even aware that it is happening. So I want to use The Beatles to illustrate how this can occur, but before I do, I want to explain a little about, how the Brain and the Senses work.

Have you ever been in a Party? There’s noise all around you, music is playing, people are talking, you can hardly hear yourself speak. Yet across the other side of the room, someone mentions your name and you immediately hear it, and recognise the fact that you are being spoken about. This is an experience common to most people, and it happens because our Brains and our Ears, are continually scanning the background ambient noise for certain alarm clues that would trigger an immediate, subconscious physical response. I don’t wish to elaborate on why this occurs, it is sufficient for you to realise that, it is a scientifically verifiable fact, that all our sense’s (there are far more than five of them), are continually absorbing information at an subconscious level from the culture, society and environment in which we exist.

**As you will know, The Beatles, are widely respected as one of the most originally prolific and creative Musical Groups of the last Century. **However a while ago, a friend of mine who is a Professor of English Literature at Oxford University and an Oxford Graduate Composer famous for Film and TV Series Themes, got together and made a TV Documentary about The Beatles Words and Music.

In it, the Professor read a great many excerpts from The Beatles original songs. But then took you for a journey through the History of English Literature, revealing the true origins, of many of the turns of phrases and connections of words and ideas utilised by John Lennon in his Lyrics. It was an utter revelation, incredibly interesting, and simply divulged the mysterious manner, in which we are continually absorbing cultural elements of the world around us without ever realising it. It just happens, and is an entirely human phenomenon.

Similarly. The Composer explained how many of the Introductions, Cadences, Phrases and Chord Progressions in Paul McCartneys Music had their origins in Music of the past he would have grown up hearing as a child. Some of the illustrations involved Church Music and Hymns! Now, no-one is suggesting that Lennon and McCartney plagiarised the work of others, not in any way at all. Rather the point is that what we allow ourselves to be regularly exposed to, will be taken in often at the level of the subconscious, and absorbed by our physical senses, and then locked into our memories to influence us at some point, to shape our future thinking and feelings without us realising it.

One day, as Lyricists or Composers, when we are firing on all cylinders, with our 12 cylinder brains, in a really Originally Creative Mood, our synapses will be flashing away, and ideas will float into our mind, unbidden from our memories that we believe are entirely original to us. However, they are often in fact, slivers of the past, elements drawn from previous experience that unconsciously inform and direct our thinking and influence and shape what we are now in the process of Creating.

I do not write this to suggest that Lennon or McCartney were anything other than an original 'tour de force' of The Music World. Rather, to make the point that if such people as The Beatles are influenced in such a clearly profound manner. What hope is there, for us as ordinary people, that we will escape the effects of negative cultural influences if we choose to deliberately and repeatedly expose our subconsciously inner beings to their subtly powerful, colouring and dominance.

In Psalm 45 we read. "For the director of music. To "Lilies." Of the Sons of Korah. A maskil. A wedding song. My heart is stirred by a noble theme as I recite my verses for the king; my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer." His heart had been dwelling on good things, and now his pen simply overflows with all he had been carrying in his heart. There is a chain linked together here that what he dwells upon in his heart, stirs him to speak about it, and then what he has spoken, overflows into his writing. What we think about, affects how we feel, and then how we feel, affects how we act and also react.

What I am attempting to portray, is that we should be careful what we take into ourselves, and realise that we are influenced by our cultural environment, far more than we are probably prepared to openly admit, even to ourselves. When an influence has a well recognised negative source we should guard our Spirit, and be alert to the potential dangers we are exposing ourselves to.

Many years ago, a friend of mine who at the time was the Top Session Drummer in the U.K. was invited by Brian Epstein to join The Beatles to replace their current Drummer. He turned the job down, because then The Beatles were not known outside Liverpool and he was a busy London Session Player. retrosellers.com/features138.htm

bobbygraham.co.uk/bobbygraham/tributes.htm

Later George Martin replaced The Beatles drummer as he wasn't up to the task. But this wasn't the reason that Brian Epstein had wanted to give my friend the job. The truth was that Pete Best's (their Drummer then) mother didn't get on with Brian Epstein, a homosexual, and she didn't like her boy working in the seedy Clubs of Hamburg and gave him stick.

*You see, when we have good Moral values, something inside us won't accept what isn't right! * And this point extends to taking responsibility for the type of media we expose ourselve to as well.

Paul McCartney has a home on the South Coast of England, not too far from where one of his old Abbey Rd Recording Engineers settled, and quite close to a Christian Recording Studio I have used in the past that is well equipped with Vintage Microphones and Superbly Equipped. Sometimes he has gone there to Record, and once invited the whole staff to a Major Music Awards Festival to sit at the Front Table and Dine with him.

**Being a Christian, can get you to the Top Table, with the Worlds Major Music Stars, in Major Award Festivals.

Unfortunately, being a Pop Star, will not get you through the Gates of Heaven.

To Dine with The Lord.**

PP

First, I went and bought this song after hearing it on youtbe. Very beautiful song, thanks for sharing philipmarie.

A thought occurs to me abut the song meaning. I have German ancestry and I grew up hearing a story about the "Black Madonna" who supposedly walked into the midst of a battlefied in WWI and both sided stopped figting each other. Do you think this may be what the song is about?

Third...*Easy Living *also by Uriah Heep...is this perhaps about Jesus coming into a persons heart? Casting off the yoke and burdens, etc.?

This is a thing I've never known before, it's called easy living.
This is a place I've never seen before, and I've been forgiven.
Easy living, and I've been forgiven,since you've taken your place in my heart.
Somewhere along the lonely road I had tried to find you.
Day after day on that windy road I had walked behind you.
Easy living, and I've been forgiven,since you've taken your place in my heart.

Thanks PinkPanther for all that:).Even though these song writers did make that beautiful song, they do not possess the key to loving the Blessed Virgin (or God for that matter but Mary IS the Mediatrix of all grace so there wa sno necassity of mentioning God in an explicit way)

Here is a song which is rather funny instead of sad. It used to send me and my sister in laughing fits!: youtube.com/watch?v=yD-ffhvefsw

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.