The Last Judgment

According to Scripture, at the Last Judgment, all sins will be revealed and brought to light in order to show forth God’s mercy and justice. However, my question is this: Does this apply to confessed and absolved sins? In other words, will ALL the past sins of every person be brought to light, or only those unconfessed sins which will condemn a person?

I thought about this after reading Luke 12, and wondered how this squares with Micah 7:19: “He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sin into the depths of the sea.”

In other words, if our absolved sins are buried in the “depths of the sea,” will they still be made manifest at the Last Judgment?

:popcorn:

We don’t really know, but I’ve heard that when sin has been confessed and forgiven, it is lost even from God’s mind.

ICXC NIKA

If this is true, the end game has just gotten a lot more ugly in my book…:eek:

Actually I think it makes it all the more beautiful.

The Catholic Encyclopedia says nothing will be excluded from the general judgment, not even pardoned sins. The pardoned sins of the just will not be a source of shame.

The judgment will embrace all works, good or bad, forgiven as well as unforgiven sins, every idle word (Matthew 12:36), every secret thought (1 Corinthians 4:5). With the exception of Peter Lombard, theologians teach that even the secret sins of the just will be made manifest, in order that judgment may be made complete and that the justice and mercy of God may be glorified. This will not pain or embarrass the saints, but add to their glory, just as the repentance of St. Peter and St. Mary Magdalen is to these saints a source of joy and honour. General Judgment

So we will not be judged by confessed sins, but they will be brought forth?

That is an interesting question… I would venture that the answer is both yes and no–we are an open book to God–everyday, all of the time… yet, God still Commands us to go to Him with our weaknesses and our unrighteousness… to seek His Forgiveness, His Mercy, His Grace. In exchange (the Sacrament of Confession) He will cleanse us… take every unrighteous act away:

18 And then come, and accuse me, saith the Lord: if your sins be as scarlet, they shall be made as white as snow: and if they be red as crimson, they shall be white as wool. (Isaiah 1:18)

Since God is not man to change His Mind, forgiveness is complete; yet, Judgment Day requires that we are made accountable for even the words/thoughts that we may have conceived… so the searching of our being is full and complete!

Maran atha!

Angel

We don’t really know. Maybe, because manifesting them and their forgiveness will be a further testament to God’s grace and mercy, and the just will rejoice over it. For the elect, there will be no shame, only the glory of God. Or maybe not, because God does say, “I will remember their sins no more.” So who knows for sure, really?

For the damned, however, their sins WILL be revealed, and it will be to their shame, before they go to their eternal punishment.

I just wonder if each and every person that has ever lived will get their chance to stand before God and all of creation on this day, or will it be more of a instantaneous event, where it all happens at once? Seems like doing it person by person, for everyone that has ever lived, would take forever (literally), but I guess no one will have anything else to do at this point, except to stand in line, its not like after this is over, people go back to their normal routines. LOL

In the Wheat and Tares parable, it sort of implies, the angels will be the reapers and they will do the actual sorting out of people, but Im not sure if this is in the same time line as the final judgement.

Im pretty sure that if we all have to stand in line while each person is judged, that would be Hell.:blush:

Hi, Mike!
Since we will no longer be in corporeal bodies… time may transpire quite differently… remember Scriptures tells us that to God a thousand years is as if yesterday… and while we could very well have a FACE-to-face with God, it could well be a simultaneous experience which each individual will register as his/her personal “alone-time” with God; akin to the manna in the desert which could not be stored (accumulated) past the personal need of each individual’s consumption; while, simultaneously, being stored for the Sabbath day without any ill effects–not to mention that it had various flavors while not ceasing being a simple substance.

Maran atha!

Angel

…less the person is already bound for it–then I imagine he/she would love to give up his/her turn to the person behind… and the next… and the next… and… :D:D:D

Maran atha!

Angel

Yes, I been in many threads about the time issue, and I dont think we can even begin to guess about things taking place where there is no time, we are only used to time in the sense we know it, here on earth.

The more Ive thought about it, the more I believe, when the bible refers to any kind of ‘time’, it would be meant as our version of time…after all, the bibles audience are human beings, usually you use words and terms your intended audience can comprehend, I mean, we have no clue what Gods version of time is like.

Everybody does have “alone time” with God, but that is the particular judgment, which happens right after death.

The Last Judgment is the general judgment, where everybody gets to see and understand God’s justice and mercy, the deeds and thoughts of all people, and how God made that fit into His plan. (Including the damned and the demons, who will also attend.) Without bringing out all sins, God’s exposition would be incomplete.

The good news is you cannot feel shame if you’re in Heaven with our Lord :wink:

Hi, Mike!
I follow your reasoning… but at Judgment Day all of time would have ceased; all of our temporal values would have stopped… and though God has Revealed His Word in terms that we can understand, within Revelations there are windows into God’s own realm:

• My Ways are not your ways; my Thoughts are not your thoughts
  • God is Spirit and true Believers must Worship in Spirit and Truth
  • To God a Day is as a Thousand Years
  • YHWH: I AM WHO AM (NOW)
  • He will Come in the clouds as Lightning: Omnipresence
  • They will all see Him: even those who Pierced Him: Omnipotence: Transcendency
  • I Am the Resurrection and Life: if you Believe you will Never Die
  • God is not a God of the dead but of the Living: Believers even dead are Alive to God
  • We were elected/chosen/predestined in Jesus Christ before the foundation of the world
  • At the sound of the trumpet we will all be Changed
  • We are Baptized in His Death: Alive to God in Christ
  • You were Sealed: the Holy Spirit comes to us at Baptism
  • Coheirs with Christ: at Baptism, Adopted as children of God
  • He Gathered to Himself Children of God: we are a Priestly Kingdom
  • The World cannot see Him (the Paraclete): He Abides With you (the Church) and In you

…this is off the top of my head… there could be many other passages that demonstrate that there will be changes (as in the New Heavens and New earth, and the ceasing of Prophecy and other Gifts while only Love Remains) which would definitely impact our perception of reality as we know it.

Maran atha!

Angel

I’m not sure we can really know what it will be like, but I find I Corinthians 6:2&3 to be very interesting:

“Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? Do you not know that we will judge angels?”

This verse makes it sound like the saints will already have been judged, and will actually act as judges at the final judgement, even judging the angels who had previously fallen.
(this would certainly speed up things…as some of you had mentioned :slight_smile: )

closed #19

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.