The Last Superstition

Has anyone read this book by Edward Feser? What are your thoughts? Any arguments in particular that you found illuminating?

Cheers.

From one Mr. Briggs, statistician to the stars, here are five parts and an interlude so far for your perusal. Check out the first post in that series for the only place Mr. Briggs allows discussion of Feser’s tone. Feser defends his polemics here and here.

Several posts from then-atheist now-RCIA candidate (catechumen?) Leah Libresco.

Thanks a lot for the links! Looks like some interesting reading. I don’t think I’ll need to return to this thread now…

I have read it twice and find it elucidates the meaning of Thomas’ Five Ways quite clearly. He has called it his " Philosophy of God. " But it is a bit more than that. It is a powerful polemic against the New Athiests and shows how the philosophical errors beginning with Francis Bacon and William of Ockham lead to the wholesale abandonment of reason that soon followed and culminated in the wild assertions of the current class of doubters and how this has provided the ground for the nihilism and immorality of this age. I would also recommend Heri Renard and Cardinal Mercier ( available on line) and works by Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange ( some available on line) and works by Etien Gilson.

I'm still in the process of reading this, on the last chapter, but know I will refer to it time and again. I appreciate his style a lot. I've also learned quite a bit about philosophy (granted I've never been formally educated in it), and found that a lot of my own ideas on what Aquinas proofs actually said were ill informed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.