The Latest: Slovak prime minister says integrating migrants is 'impossible'

Fico said Thursday his government sees what he calls a “clear link” between the waves of refugees and the Paris attacks and the sexual assaults and robberies during the New Year’s Eve festivities in Germany.

He says: “We don’t want what happened in Germany to happen here.”

Fico says “the idea of multicultural Europe has failed” and that “the migrants cannot be integrated, it’s simply impossible.” usnews.com/news/world/articles/2016-01-07/the-latest-norway-received-31-000-asylum-seekers-in-2015

a voice of reason to some and I can hear how others might react to these statements.

did pope francis support the merkel invitation? several catholic bishops spoke out against it.

That’s kind of insane.

Obviously it is not “impossible” to integrate large waves of immigrants all arriving at once. The United States has done this for two centuries. Whatever undoubted problems the country faces today it’s not because Irish immigrants have refused to settle down and assimilate and share their own culture with those who were here. It is just something that cannot happen overnight.

The issue is it’s just very difficult. (That is not inherently a reason to turn them all back, however). Probably in the case of 21st-century Europe, it is more difficult than late-19th-century America because despite cultural and religious and linguistic differences the immigrants at that time (or emigrants from Europe’s point of view) were more culturally and religiously similar than one would think once the superficialities were stripped away; the differences in 2016 in Slovakia are perhaps a bit greater.

Should the country (any country) be forced to accept a wave of immigration? Probably not. But I think if a country collectively feels unable to accept people desperately asking for help, into the country, they can find another way to support them instead, and not just pull up the drawbridge and hope they go away. I hope the Prime Minister (and his counterparts in lots of other European countries) brushes the sand away from his neck and works in concert to find other solutions instead.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.