The Latest: Syria: Aleppo has returned to government control

A statement by the Syrian armed forces says the northern city of Aleppo has returned to government control, ending a four-year rebel hold over parts of the city.

The statement broadcast on Syrian TV said the army has re-established “security” in the northern city after the last rebels evacuated from their final toe-hold in the eastern parts of the city.

The Syrian government’s recapture of Aleppo is a major turning point in the Syrian civil war with potentially powerful political repercussions.

It represents a momentous victory for President Bashar Assad and a crushing defeat for Syria’s opposition which will struggle to forge a way forward.

apnews.com/fe6b6142663e4eefa710b878c59f0cc4/The-Latest:-Syria:-Aleppo-has-returned-to-government-control

I don’t understand the Civil War over there and I have heard Assad is not necessarily the guy in the white hat, but I guess Christians could worship freely before. I am not sure who was backing the rebels - Obama and Hillary?

I will be glad when the war is over!

There was nothing particularly wrong with Assad in charge of Syria. The civil war which was rooted in the Arab spring was just that. A revolution against legitimate power.

Neighbouring Jordan has had a ’ King’ for many years and nobody threw a fuss.

Let legitimate power centres be. Especially in the middle east. Look what happened when they tried to take out Saddam in Iraq.

A secular democracy may not be possible there , but that does not mean you try and overthrow what has been working.

Some of the non-Al Qaeda militants are quite frightening.
abc.net.au/news/2016-12-02/aleppo-rebels-hope-to-reverse-fortunes-with-new-alliance/8085810
The article like most in the media haven’t told us much about who ‘Jabha Shamiya’ or ‘Levant Front’ but Wikipedia had an entry.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levant_Front
From that, a reliable source, an article from the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace think tank:
carnegie-mec.org/diwan/57605?lang=en
So it would seem the West is supporting Islamist extremists who share the same ideology as the Islamic State group and al Qaeda but just willing to ask the West for support. Another proud moment for the West in supporting Islamist extremists just like what our governments did in Afghanistan in the '70s because of the fear the Soviets would expand. This time in an effort to remove a brutal dictator who killed peaceful protesters and the fear having Assad remain would drive Syrians to the Islamists to seek liberation. It seems the West has two choices: a brutal secularist dictatorship like Assad or Egypt OR a brutal Islamist ‘democracy’ like Gaza or Iran. Iraq was considered a ‘successful’ model for a while by very low standards and Lebanon appears to be hanging by a thread.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.