The Law Made for Man

What did it mean when Jesus said that the Law was made for man, not the other way around?

Some Laws are NOT negotiable by us, we cannot change them and in fact GOD allowed some leway on account of us human beings not been ready to accept the full measure.

Other laws are NOT divine, they are man made. These laws are not always binding therefore we "could" not observe them and it would not be a sin.

So the Apostles were hungry on a Sabbath and had nothing to eat. There was wheat on a field and they picked some oars and were eating the grains.
To the pharisees this was considered "work" thereby "breaking" the Sabbath.
Jesus clearly distincts the difference. The Sabbath was made YES for GOD to praise, give thanks etc. but it was ALSO made for man. So that he could rest from the weekly drab of toil and work.
The Apostles satisfied their hunger with their picking and did not engage in "work"

Peace :thumbsup:

[quote="PeteZaHut, post:1, topic:336694"]
What did it mean when Jesus said that the Law was made for man, not the other way around?

[/quote]

One of the chief reasons for the Law was so man could discern the difference between sin and truth. Which is also why it was not made for God.

"For by the law is the knowledge of sin." Rom 3:20

[quote="PeteZaHut, post:1, topic:336694"]

[/quote]

It's good for man not to kill, to rest on the Sabbath, to refrain from adultery and theft, etc. Man may well think that he'd be better off if he broke those commandments, but God knows what our integrity consists of, what makes us whole, and has our best interest at heart; the law was meant to serve us, not shackle us. And if and when we finally obey the right way, out of love for Him and neighbor, then He's succeeded in fulfilling the New Covenant promises in us, and our own joy and happiness are complete as well.

And he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath. Therefore; so the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath." (Mark 2:27-28)

From The Catholic Biblical Association's A Commentary on the New Testament, published in 1942, page 206, on Mark 2:27:
27. Mark alone records this important principle which Christ enunciates here: the positive laws of God are intended for man's good; therefore, if under certain circumstances they conflict with man's greater good, they are no longer obligatory.

[quote="Todd977, post:5, topic:336694"]
And he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath. Therefore; so the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath." (Mark 2:27-28)

From The Catholic Biblical Association's A Commentary on the New Testament, published in 1942, page 206, on Mark 2:27:
27. Mark alone records this important principle which Christ enunciates here: the positive laws of God are intended for man's good; therefore, if under certain circumstances they conflict with man's greater good, they are no longer obligatory.

[/quote]

Oh, that's right. I got the quote wrong. It was the sabbath, not the law.

I also wanted to contribute a thought or two on this passage. I think that Christ is also clearly exhibiting his spiritual authority in this situation. As a Messenger sent from God, he has the authority to abrogate teachings on the Sabbath which the earlier Messenger, Moses, had established -- "the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath." My second thought is that Christ provides the reasoning for the change he has made -- "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." There is a general principle here that the law is meant to serve humanity, not to oppress. Although we find ourselves in situations which are ethically difficult (matters of higher conscience), in this passage what strikes me the most is that Christ's authority is being questioned and He responds with both a reference to his authority - "the Son of Man" as the title He used here - and with the reasoning that signals a new/updated Revelation is at hand.

I feel like it's a passage that would be used a lot by people who think the Church's rules are too strict, so you don't really need to take them so seriously.

[quote="PeteZaHut, post:8, topic:336694"]
I feel like it's a passage that would be used a lot by people who think the Church's rules are too strict, so you don't really need to take them so seriously.

[/quote]

Any one that thinks that is so totally missing the point, the message and the goal.

The Church does not make rules because it wants to opress us quite the contrary by following them we free ourself from the yoke of sin.
Picking up our crosses is certainly NOT an invitation to throw out all the rules and morality.
Even before Jesus death He admonished the Jews in regards to obbey those that were "seated in chair of Moses"
The Sanhedrin even though made up of corrupt and even murderous people however their Laws rooted in Moises's Law and ultimately coming down from God had to be followed.
He also warned them NOT to imitate those same priests. ;)

Peace :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.