The less god is worshiped the more disaters that happen

It seems when natural disaters happen people say well wheres your god now, we push him away so much no wonder why disaters happen, we take god out of schools, off of buildings now they want to take in god we trust off of money. More america pushes god away the more harmful things comes our way it seems.

(Edited out vulgar remark)

You could start by showing some respect yourself, and capitalizing “God” when you choose to refer to Him. Also, using crude terms in reference to God is offensive. Take that plank out of your eye…

Europe is much more secular then we are. Wouldn’t Denmark be under a few hundred feet of water, if this is an issue of God getting mad? Also, God informed Abraham that he would have saved Soddam and Gomorrah for the sake of ten righteous people. Do you really think that there were not ten righteous people in the places that America had natural disasters?

It’s funny how people will deny God in good and prosperous times but when something bad happens it is His fault. :mad:

In my opinion many of our man-made disasters we choose because we choose not to follow God. We have rampant STDs because we chose not to obey sex ethics. We have wars because we (as a human race, one side may be justified) chooses not to love each other. I think things like school shootings, rampant drug use, etc can be directly ilnked to it.

[quote=I_A_]In my opinion many of our man-made disasters we choose because we choose not to follow God. We have rampant STDs because we chose not to obey sex ethics. We have wars because we (as a human race, one side may be justified) chooses not to love each other. I think things like school shootings, rampant drug use, etc can be directly ilnked to it.
[/quote]

I concur , the decreasing morals in society has increased the instablilty of society which can be linked to the decrease in Faith and obiedience.

Events have actually happened recently in my life that have made me do considerable thinking and asking about the recent influx of natural disasters and seeming trend toward Godlessness in the world. I have to rely on the middle path, as advised by those wiser than me. I don’t think God hits the smite button anytime a country does something heinous, like legalize same sex unions. However, i don’t think you can pass off the fact that the recent increase in world wide natural disasters as chance or global warming (although global warming is a byproduct of the sinful greed for petroleum). I don’t know that Christ will come in 10 years or even another 1000 years, but i do believe that the current disasters occuring around the world are a chastisement and will get worse. I pray for all the victims, the salvation of sinners, and work on preparing myself spiritually for the worst. The rest is in God’s hands. And while i think it makes the faithful look like superstitious kooks to freak out too much about end times, i also think it’s disrespectful to God to brush off giant catastrophes as having nothing to teach us or warn us about. When people sin anywhere people suffer everywhere.

I am a native of New Orleans and was schooled 13 years in Catholic schools. Despite NO’s reputation for debauchery, the people of NO as opposed to the tourists are solid Christians and the majority are Catholic. This was NOT the first time NO was destroyed. It was destroyed in the first and fourth year of its existance and damaged on numerous ocassions after. I would not invoke God’s name in a natural disaster anymore than I would condemn San Francisco or Los Angeles when the San Andreas rips. And what will the world say when the New Madrid fault rips and destroys St. Louis and Memphis? God’s judgment? Hardly.

The disasters of the last year, the tsunami, several earthquakes and record number of hurricanes were opportunities for humans to act for good or evil. Of course during these disasters there was evil (looting and murder) but there was a great ourpouring of love and prayers. I know of one prodigal son who was reunited to his family by Katrina. There are countless stories of couage and love from these disasters. Many people opened their hearts and homes to the victums of these disasters. I personally believe that much Grace was received as a result of these disasters. I believe that God gave every individual involved in that disaster special grace. Some chose to accept that grace and are closer to God for it. I for one will not try to second guess God and say he has condemned any person or group of persons

[quote=PaladinXarthas]It seems when natural disaters happen people say well wheres your god now, we push him away so much no wonder why disaters happen, we take god out of schools, off of buildings now they want to take in god we trust off of money. More america pushes god away the more harmful things comes our way it seems.
[/quote]

Your impression may be wrong. For a long time the Christian God had no worshippers at all in America, the Native American gods were the only ones being worshipped. Do you have any evidence that there were worse disasters before the arrival of Columbus? Given our modern news media we are probably more aware of disasters now than earlier. That does not mean that there are actually more disasters happening; just that we are seeing more of them live on TV.

The population of America is higher now than in the past so when there is a flood or an earthquake it has the potential to kill more people. Even so I don’t think that there has been any recent natural disaster in America to match the Galveston flood or the San Francisco earthquake which both predated the move to remove prayer from US public schools.

America has a higher proportion of Christians than Saudi Arabia. If what you are saying is true then Saudi Arabia ought to be having a lot more earthquakes, hurricanes and floods (!) than it currently does. Perhaps you need to think a bit more carefully on this.

[quote=dafalax]I don’t think God hits the smite button anytime a country does something heinous
[/quote]

You owe me for having my keyboard cleaned. “the smite button” - excellent. :slight_smile:

rossum

It also doesn’t make logical sense that NO’s suffering, for example, was a divine case of retribution. There are Christians in China and Muslim countries who suffer horrible persecution. Why wouldn’t God show his anger in any of these countries?

IF we believe that GOd was royally p.oed at NO, for example, then we have to believe that our diety has poor management skills. Why wouldn’t he attack during the week of Mardi Gras when the tourist were partying? Why did he wait until they had left and were back in their dorm rooms? It is also strange that the French Quarter, where most of the partying occurred is still livable, but the areas where the poor lived are destroyed. hmmm…maybe GOd needs to plan his destruction out better.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.