The Levitical priesthood (perpetual or not?)

That little line is a maqqef , it means that the two words are said as one.
I am a student of Biblical Hebrew.
If you wish to refer to bible hub, which is quite good,
https://biblehub.com/text/psalms/110-4.htm

What reference

are you referring to for malki - tzedek ?

The

is a Ts sound as in boots.

Congratulations! Ask your teacher and he will tell you the information I have given you is correct.

This one:
https://haktuvim.co.il/en/study/Ps.110

He or she would expect me to translate that ‘of’ as ‘of’ and discuss the inseperable preposition ‘min’ root. And to be in accordance with Strongs. .
We are learning Biblical Hebrew as opposed to modern day Hebrew.

We’re talking about Psalm 110:4, right?

אנִשְׁבַּ֤ע יְהוָ֨ה ׀ בוְלֹ֥א גיִנָּחֵ֗ם דאַתָּֽה־כֹהֵ֥ן הלְעוֹלָ֑ם ועַל־דִּ֝בְרָתִ֗י זמַלְכִּי־צֶֽדֶק׃

Strong lists two prepositions “min” numbered 4480 and 4481. Neither of them occurs in this verse.

https://biblehub.com/hebrew/4480.htm
https://biblehub.com/hebrew/4481.htm

Christ was sinless…

His Sacrificial Atonement on the cross ultimately obliterates SIN.

To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.

No… The Levitical Priesthood is Not Perpetual

Ref: HEBREWS and more. .

I don’t see how the Levitical priesthood could exist after the destruction of the temple. A Levite priest had to have his genealogy, and proof that there were no irregularities in his family, such as an illegitimate birth, on a papyrus roll which was kept in the temple. Which all burnt up with the temple.

And More… Yes… It’s a large / huge topic of discussion - which is central to the gulf between those who accepted Jesus as the awaited Messiah and those who did (thus far) not.

Suffice to say - that there are 2 opposing POV’s on that - which in turn likewise connect with theologies concerning the (still arriving) “Messiah”, and which in turn is very worthy of continuing civil Discussion

@BartholomewB

Ever heard of Carl Conrad?

geo

Just as an off hand observation -

I have always regarded parish Priests as of the Levitical Priesthood,
and ideally, though seldom in fact, the Bishops as of the Melchizedekian one…

geo

No, unknown to me. Tell me more.

He used to head up B-Greek, an on-line Bible translation discussion group, and Clayton Bartholemew was a participant, later a Mod, as I recall, years ago… It is strange how lives interweave in on-line groups… He once posted, regarding Greek sentence structure, “I diagram everything!” He was ruthless in tracking down meanings… Thought you might be him…

geo

I’m flattered! Coincidentally, I just joined B-Greek earlier this year. I know how to use a lexicon and a concordance, but that’s about all.

Is carl still advising there? Heck, is he even still alive?

I remember puzzling over the translation of “the before the door” - We all were wondering what it meant, when the place was so crowded, there was no room, even to the “before the door”… When friends let their friend in through the roof to be healed by Christ… And oh the tries we made, what this might mean… So a new student, a Katharavouska Greek from S. America, chimed in and said, humbly, after several weeks of our thrashing about, that this is simply is the Greek way of saying “porch”… There was no room even on the porch, but we could not figure it out… Idioms… Carl was a good moderator and instructor… But that one stayed us all…

geo

Here is a cheat site:https://www.studylight.org/desk/interlinear.cgi?search_form_type=interlinear&q1=Matthew+28%3A19-20&ot=lxx&nt=byz&s=0&t3=str_nas&ns=0

Hover over a word and it parses at the bottom - click on it for a definition…

geo

1 Like

Many people that subscribe to a group, or belief system that state the laws of the Torah of Moses are still in effect because they were declared to be “eternal,” several times in the Torah and ought to be kept by Christians (or atleast Christians of Jewish Ancestry) have no problem admitting that the Levitical Priesthood was changed and abolished because of the Epistle to the Hebrews.

However, the Old Testament itself DOES call the Levitical priesthood “eternal,” as we can see here with the incident of Phineas slaying the Israelite and the Midian woman.

and it shall be unto him, and to his seed after him, the covenant of an everlasting priesthood ; because he was jealous for his God, and made atonement for the children of Israel.’ -Numbers 25:13

As we can see the priesthood is here refered to as כְּהֻנַּת עוֹלָם k’hunnat olam ( kehunat olam).

After doing some searching I then found that the priesthood is described as eternal elsewhere too

And thou shalt anoint them, as thou didst anoint their father, that they may minister unto Me in the priest’s office; and their anointing shall be to them for an everlasting priesthood [lich’hunnat olam] throughout their generations.’ -Exodus 40:15

God said He would have His Eyes and Heart in the Temple FOREVER:

And now, I have chosen and consecrated this House that My name be there forever [ad-olam, עַד-עוֹלָם ], and My eyes and heart will be there at all times.–2 Chronicles 7:16

Now, how could He dwell there literally forever if there was no temple for years at a time, and even today there has been no Temple for over 1900 years! God knew the future, “forever” just means for a long time!

Lamentation 3:6 in just about EVERY bible translation translate OLAM as “long”

He hath made me to dwell in dark places, as those that have been long [olam, עוֹלָם] dead.

Psalm 143:3, similarly translates OLAM as “long”

he hath made me to dwell in darkness, as those that have been long [olam, עוֹלָם ] dead.–Psalm 143:3

It is also interesting to note that King David said only the Levites were to carry the ark and serve before God ‘forever’.

Then David said, "It is not proper to carry the Ark of God except the Levites, for the Lord chose them to carry the Ark of God and to serve Him forever [olam]. "-1 Chronicles 15:2

So, even though, the Torah refers to the priesthood as being for “olam” this was not understood by the New Testament writers to mean it would never be abolished, as we see in Hebrews 7

When there is a change of priesthood , there is necessarily a change of law as well. --Hebrews 7:12

So, as we can see, since the Levitical priesthood of the Old Covenant was abolished as the book of Hebrews tells us, and the fact that the Levites no longer “serve” God forever, that olam, does not necessarily have to mean literally FOREVER.

Here he is, cwconrad, listed as one of the ten global moderators:
http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/memberlist.php?mode=team

@BerhaneSelassie
If the Levitical Priesthood was the Typos for the Priesthood of Christ, would that not make the Parish Priesthood its fulfillment?

And if the Melchisedekian Priesthood was the Typos for Christ, then would that not make the order of the Bishops its fulfillment in Christ?

The Priest does still serve in the Roman Church at the behest of the Bishop, yes?
So that the Hands of the Priest act as the Hands of the Bishop?

How do you understand the differentiation between the two Priesthoods?
How do they differ? & How are they the same?

geo

I could not register because no matter what I put down as the article for Zoe, it was booted out… And my old login does not work on the new site…

What do they want for that article? It has to be an aspirated eta, yes?

Glad to know he still registers blood pressure!

Thank-you!

geo

1 Like

HEBREWS and in fact THE NEW TESTAMENT - IS VERY CLEAR…
JESUS is Now The Eternal High Priest of God .
The Mosaic law is Fulfilled… and is replaced by Faith/Spirit - THE Way to Salvation.

That… is what separated Jews who accepted Jesus and Jews who rejected Him.

Of course, realize, Non-Christian Jews do not accept that - as is to be expected.

HEBREWS? Worth a Read…

https://www.raystedman.org/hebrews2/hebrewstxt.html

The hereditary Levitical priesthood was a Jewish institution that was not carried over into the Christian Church. It ceased to be operative when the Temple was burned down in AD 70. The question of “eternal” vs. “long-lasting” as the meaning of olam in this context is one that concerns Jews but is of no immediate importance to Christians.

The priesthood of Melchizedek differs from that of Aaron and the Levites in that is not hereditary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.