The liberal trend. (esp. in regard to the Eucharist "rules")

I’m a couple week old Catholic, but it seems to me there’s a big liberal trend, at least in my particular Church–questioning the difference between the Church and God, if that makes sense? This in particular seems to come up regarding divorces, annulments and receiving the Eucharist regardless of where your life is in regard to past or current marriage.

Can there be a dividing line? By which we say “this is a church teaching, I don’t have to believe it to know God, they could be wrong about it” or “they are wrong about it.”

In another thread, I read this:

I would venture to say many Catholic’s do this today within the Church–just not to the extreme that Luther carried it out.

I think we are all guilty of this to some point or another as individuals. I could provide examples, but I don’t see a need.

I’m not saying Luther was right or wrong for doing what he did initially… My problem is, where do we draw the line ourselves? And where do we stop ourselves before we fall into the same “trap”?

Point is, if we say “ahh, annulment is just a way for the church to get $350, it isn’t necessary for my walk with Christ, I’m entitled to the Eucharist anyway.” Where does it stop? At what point does the Eucharist/communion become a meaningless symbol similar to what it is in most non-Catholic religions.

So brings the question, are we (the Catholic church) truly at a point of Israel at the time of Jesus–caught up in our rituals and not focusing, looking toward Christ? OR, have the people (not necessarily the Church) wrapped themselves up in debating the Church’s teaching, to the point THEY have forgot Christ, because either A) The teachers within the Church have done a frankly lousy job at educating people regarding how the Church’s practices relate to a better understanding of Christ or B) the Church’s teachings directly oppose their own beliefs or life, thereby they wish to minimize these to the point of obscurity so they create a theology around them that fits their needs?

Sorry for the long post, this has me bugged. :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting you question and welcome to the Church. I converted to the Church myself about 10 years ago, and it was by far the best thing I ever did.

You obviously came to the conclusion that the Catholic Church is the true Church, and that is correct. But what you will now see is that the Catholic Church in America is going through a difficult time. This is due to several factors, one of which is what you discussed above: Many Catholics today (both priest and laity) are either confused about what the Church teaches, or reject what the Church teaches. And instead of leaving the Church, and joining a liberal sect, they have chosen to say in the Church and attempt to recreat it according to their own image and likeness.

What you need to do at this point is to find a good Church - one that is faithful to what the Church teaches. Since you are a new Catholic, you need a solid Church to help form your Catholicism.

I see that you are in Evansville, IN. That’s not too far from where I live. I am going to see if I can locate a good Church in your area.

Yes… and thank-you for the reply!

My personal problem is not so much the church I am in, but in recognizing the issues, if that makes sense?

I don’t want to simply hop to a church that believes the absolute fundamentals, as much as I want to recognize where the issues lay and how they relate to our relationship to God… and how these issues can be addressed.

My wife and I were married in this church, our twins were baptized in this church, the priest knows more about me than probably my parents know about me… Everyone has been very accepting and encouraged me to be involved, etc. I can say to a certain extent, without this church I would not have become Catholic… So therein lays my dilemma to a certain degree.

I recognize what you’re saying and why… However, the church building and the people within are not as much my issue as is the overall trend.

Based on experience, it seems trends like these will reach you wherever you go, eventually, it may be on a smaller scale, but it will reach you. So, I guess my question is, what do we take seriously within the Church and what do we leave to personal conviction?

I realize to a certain extent it is ALL personal conviction, but I’m speaking mainly to the Eucharist, which I feel encompasses EVERYTHING about the Catholic Church–and something that even those teaching, don’t understand (I don’t mean understand as a matter of faith, but understand in a way that develops the faith or can develop the faith of others).

What can I do to help convey and understand the message? I guess that’s more my point. I want to understand more where the Church (or should I say the rules of men in position) rules and personal conviction merge and separate. Especially in regards to the Eucharist.

Make any sense?

You understand it by keeping a good spiritual life. Pray a lot. Receive the Sacraments. Get a spiritual director (a good one).

We need more lay evangelists of all ages (but especially young adults)- we need them in the public colleges (especially there!!! The Catholic campus ministries often stand for nothing but political correctness- and we need them to go ON the college campuses and talk to people), the workplace, and in the neighborhoods (not going door to door or anything, but just being around and active- so people may be more likely to ask you about the Faith).

This might help you to understand the issue better:

**Acts 9:45 - **
**He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” **
**He said, “Who are you, sir?” The reply came, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. **

Notice how Jesus said “ME”? Anyone who feels that Jesus and his Church are not one doesn’t understand either.
A bride and groom are one. Jesus is the Bridegroom and his Church is the Bride. They are ONE.
Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.