The Light of God

In scripture, we encounter countless times God or Jesus with the word “light”, used as either an adjective or noun. The “Light of God”, to give it a name. But what actually IS this light? The Orthodox have developed a whole theology around it, defining it as charictaristic of the Theosis and the “energies” of God. But I don’t think that I’ve ever heard a Catholic attempt at interpreting it. So what is it?

Can’t help you, but will follow the thread to see what comes up.

ICXC NIKA

Light=Love=God

I pray you will experience His Light.

Peace

w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/apost_letters/1995/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_19950502_orientale-lumen.html

Peace

When the word is linked to Jesus it usually means he is the light which shows the way to truth and ultimately lights the path to heaven. He is the way, the truth and the light. So that with his light we are not lost in darkness of sin.

John 1;3-9

All things came to be through him, and without him nothing came to be. What came to be through him was life, and this life was the light of the human race; the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not over come it. A man called John was sent from God. He came for testimony, to testify to the light, so that all might believe through him. He was not the light, but came to testify to the light. The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

Fiat Lux, let there be light. Before anything else was made, the energy of God’s creative love was mediated through Jesus the Logos.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.