The Lion, Bear, Leopard Beast

We can find two places in scripture where there is reference to these lion, bear and leopard “beasts” grouped together. The earlier reference is in Daniel Chapter 7 blueletterbible.org/kjv/Dan/Dan007.html#top where he speaks of 4 great beasts. The first is like a lion, the second is a like a bear and the third is like a leopard. These are followed by a 4th “dreadful and terrible” beast. Daniel helps us out by defining what a “beast” is in verse 23:

Thus he said, **The fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom **upon earth, which shall be diverse from all kingdoms, and shall devour the whole earth, and shall tread it down, and break it in pieces.

Thus we learn that “beast” = kingdom.

Many sound Bible scholars recognize the first 3 “beasts” as being the successive kingdoms of Babylon, Medo-Pursia and Greece, with the 4th beast, or kingdom representing the Roman empire. While there is more reference to these kingdoms being refered to as “it” we find in the verses 19 and 20 that it is also referenced as “his”. Verse 19:…brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with his feet;… and verse 20: ….And of the ten horns that [were] in his head,… in reference to the Roman Empire.

These first 3 kingdoms rose in succession and eventually fell to the Roman empire, but when we travel to the next point in scripture where these first 3 beasts are again mentioned, we find that they have become combined, or unified.

Revelation 13:2 And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as [the feet] of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.

Interestingly the geographical location of the former successive kingdoms of Babylon, Medo-Pursia and ancient Greece, is today approximately occupied by Iraq, Iran and Syria. So how could these separate and soverign nations be described as a composite, or united beast? They are all united by the prophet Mohammed, and they all hold the belief that God has no Son - the spirit of anitchrist. So could this composite kingdom, be the kingdom of Islam, seated in the Middle East?

If Islam is this “beast”, then how can that fit with the rest of the Chapter? For example:

Rev 13:3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.

The 152 years of the Islamic first Jihad received its death blow - its mortal wound - in the Battle of Tours, France. Some consider this the most important battle - for Christianity - of the Christian era. thenagain.info/WebChron/WestEurope/Tours.html
Not only did the head, as the front of the advancing army, get repelled and mortally wounded, but the leader of the Islamic army was killed. Emir Abd er Rahman was so imporant, trusted and well liked by his men, and his death as such a surprise, that it sent the Islamic army into chaos as they could not even agree on a successor to lead. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abd_er_Rahman

I believe this battle date of 732 AD is pinned mathematically - to the year - in Daniel’s 1335 day prophecy as shown in this post: forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=1648884&postcount=6

This mortal wound was eventually healed by Western wealth transfer for oil purchase financing the second Jihad of today, in the image of the first Jihad and Islam, of the past.

In regard to the world wondering after the beast, if we take an ethnographic view of what John’s “whole world” was, we might conclude that it is somewhat limited to the area around the Middle East. So could the whole world that wonders after the “beast” be a reference to that region? It is pretty unlikely that John’s prophecy was written about Peoria Illinois.

Iran - Muslim 98% (Shi’a Muslim 89%, Sunni Muslim 9%), Zoroastrian, Jewish, Christian, and Baha’i 2%
Iraq - Muslim 97% (Shi’a 60%-65%, Sunni 32%-37%), Christian or other 3%
Sunni Muslim 74%, Alawite, Druze, and other Muslim sects 16%, Christian (various sects) 10%, Jewish (tiny communities in Damascus, Al Qamishli, and Aleppo)
Syria - Muslim 90% (Sunni Muslim 74%, Alawite, Druze, and other Muslim sects 16%), Christian (various sects) 10%, Jewish (tiny communities in Damascus, Al Qamishli, and Aleppo)

Outside of the seat countries read the same - Turkey 99% Muslim… You can explore the region on the CIA Factbook site: cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html

Today in my travels in Scripture I noticed this verse which is interesting to ponder in regard to the beast being “like a leopard”.

Jer 13:23 Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? [then] may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil.

While it is clear that it is difficult for a Muslim to convert, even punishable by beheading in Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia just to name a couple, a Muslim can indeed “change his spots”.
search.yahoo.com/search?p=beheading+capital&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

There are many beautiful testimonies at Muslims for Christ exmuslim.com/ and even a former Palistinian terrorist - now saved Christian - Walid Shoebat shoebat.com/ For another.

I guess I should have pondered to myself a little longer and more would have been revealed. The “beast” is not individual Muslims. So if the beast is Islam, then it cannot change its spots since it carries as a fundamental premise that God has no Son. Perhaps this is why the beast is like unto a leopard and cannot change its spots.

So does Judaism, yet Christianity comes from Judaism.

This doesn’t make any sense to me. Muslims believe they are worshipping the Creator, the All-Powerful, All-Merciful God.If this is not the discription of the Christian God, then I don’t know what is. There is one God. If this is not the one God, then what is?

I guess I find it interesting that that government in Russia is called the Duma. A duma is a also large cat like a cheetah I think. Whether this bears any significance, I’m not sure. It could be more of a coincidence than anything.

But when one adds to this that Russia is known as the bear too, it perks my curiousity further.

Not sure if the Lion has any application as a symbol within Russian government.

Hi,
John do you believe that everything in Daniel is past history or do you believe there is some prophecy still to be fullfilled? I just studied Daniel for the first time so I am no expert. Actually I will probably have to study it several more times before I could have an intelligent conversation about it:o

Using an ethnographic hermeneutic in a linear historic context, the books of Daniel and Revelation would seem to have been fulfilled entirely, except for the Day of the Lord and the hour of judgment. I want to make it clear that I am not advancing preterism. The dates of 1948 and 1967, and the fulfillment of so much Old and New Testament prophecy in regard to the Lord leading His people back to our covenant land, is very much a part. Indeed these dates are the key to understanding that we find ourselves in Daniel’s “time of the end”, as these math problems (a few that Skolfield covers) would seem to confirm. forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=119875

This is a fun free book and at the very least it will help you understand a disciplined approach to Bible study using some sound hermeneutic rules. Written by an 89 year old author that was steeped in scripture even as far back as his missionary mother’s knee in the Phillippines when he was a child.

May God richly bless you in your studies in Christ Jesus.

The False Prophet - by Ellis Skolfield
Free 2-part PDF (you are welcome to print, send, etc.)

ellisskolfield.com/pdf/TFPChapters1-9.pdf
ellisskolfield.com/pdf/TFPChapters10-17.pdf

This is guaranteed to inspire you. Try a chapter or two.

But the relationship between Jews, Christians and God are covered in scripture. God gave Jews spiritual blindness - eyes that they should not see and ears that they should not hear. And the Lamb, Jesus, was slain from the foundation of the world. The Jewish and Christian Church are the two witnesses.

There is obviously no such accommodation for Muslims who follow a prophet that was born hundreds of years later.

Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

But, we are talking about the God of the Muslims and Jews and Christians, not their biblical heritage. They both believe in ONE God, creator of heaven and Earth, of all that is seen and unseen, The All-powerful, All-merciful, All-compassionate God. Their thoughts on how God relates to us and what he expects us to do are different, but the God is the exact same, most especially the same as the Jews. In other words, they believe in the same God, but know not what he commands.:smiley:

Satan, aka Al_ah

Yahweh, aka the I AM. Blaspheme my God at your peril.

That’s why the Muslims have been so friendly to the Christians and Jews for the last 1300 years eigh? Folks with attitudes like yours are going to resign them to the lake of fire by helping them to believe that Mohammed is anything other than a false prophet.

In the first 10 years of Islam Mohammed was able to convert barely 100 people. Then he picked up the sword and began the first Jihad, the image of which we see today around the world. 2 million dead in the Sudan alone.

Power of the Sword

623 - Battle of Waddan
623 - Battle of Safwan
623 - Battle of Dul-Ashir
624 - Muhammad and converts begin raids on caravans to fund the movement.
624 - Zakat becomes mandatory
624 - Battle of Badr
624 - Battle of Bani Salim
624 - Battle of Eid-ul-Fitr and Zakat-ul-Fitr
624 - Battle of Bani Qainuqa
624 - Battle of Sawiq
624 - Battle of Ghatfan
624 - Battle of Bahran
625 - Battle of Uhud. 70 Muslims are killed.
625 - Battle of Humra-ul-Asad
625 - Battle of Banu Nudair
625 - Battle of Dhatur-Riqa
626 - Battle of Badru-Ukhra
626 - Battle of Dumatul-Jandal
626 - Battle of Banu Mustalaq Nikah
627 - Battle of the Trench
627 - Battle of Ahzab
627 - Battle of Bani Quraiza
627 - Battle of Bani Lahyan
627 - Battle of Ghaiba
627 - Battle of Khaibar
628 - Muhammad signs treaty with Quraish.
630 - Muhammad conquers Mecca.
630 - Battle of Hunsin.
630 - Battle of Tabuk
632 - Muhammad dies.
632 - Abu-Bakr, Muhammads father-in-law, along with Umar, begin a military move to enforce Islam in Arabia.
633 - Battle at Oman
633 - Battle at Hadramaut.
633 - Battle of Kazima
633 - Battle of Walaja
633 - Battle of Ulleis
633 - Battle of Anbar
634 - Battle of Basra,
634 - Battle of Damascus
634 - Battle of Ajnadin.
634 - Death of Hadrat Abu Bakr. Hadrat Umar Farooq becomes the Caliph.
634 - Battle of Namaraq
634 - Battle of Saqatia.
635 - Battle of Bridge.
635 - Battle of Buwaib.
635 - Conquest of Damascus.
635 - Battle of Fahl.
636 - Battle of Yermuk.
636 - Battle of Qadsiyia.
636 - Conquest of Madain.
637 - Battle of Jalula.
638 - Battle of Yarmouk.
638 - The Muslims defeat the Romans and enter Jerusalem.
638 - Conquest of Jazirah.
639 - Conquest of Khuizistan and movement into Egypt.
641 - Battle of Nihawand
642 - Battle of Ray in Persia
643 - Conquest of Azarbaijan
644 - Conquest of Fars
644 - Conquest of Kharan.
644 - Umar is murdered. Othman becomes the Caliph.
647 - Conquest of the island of Cypress
644 - Uman dies and is succeeded by Caliph Uthman.
648 - Campaign against the Byzantines.
651 - Naval battle against the Byzantines.
654 - Islam spreads into North Africa
656 - Uthman is murdered. Ali become Caliph.
658 - Battle of Nahrawan.
659 - Conquest of Egypt
661 - Ali is murdered.
662 - Egypt falls to Islam rule.
666 - Sicily is attacked by Muslims
677 - Siege of Constantinople
687 - Battle of Kufa
691 - Battle of Deir ul Jaliq
700 - Sufism takes root as a sect of Islam
700 - Military campaigns in North Africa
702 - Battle of Deir ul Jamira
711 - Muslims invade Gibraltar
711 - Conquest of Spain
713 - Conquest of Multan
716 - Invasion of Constantinople
732 - Battle of Tours in France.
740 - Battle of the Nobles.
741 - Battle of Bagdoura in North Africa
744 - Battle of Ain al Jurr.
746 - Battle of Rupar Thutha
748 - Battle of Rayy.
749 - Battle of lsfahan
749 - Battle of Nihawand
750 - Battle of Zab
772 - Battle of Janbi in North Africa
777 - Battle of Saragossa in Spain

Nice! :thumbsup:

Jesus said in John 4:22…

You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews.

I suppose since the fuller revelation of Christ in the New Covenant, we could also say…

You Jews and Muslims worship what you do not know; we Christians worship what we do know, for salvation is from Jesus. :slight_smile:

I am not blaspheming God. I am saying that he is Creator and all Powerful.

Your list of events shows the falseness of how they worship God. It says little about their God himself. They things they think they do for God are in correct, yes, but that does not mean that because Christians did the Crusades that God is violent does it?

There is only ONE God. He is the ONLY Creator. Obviously, the Muslims that are radical, think they are doing what the Creator wants, but this doesn’t mean that the God they think they are pleasing is not the same God. I am sure God is unhappy with what they are doing and think they are doing, but he is the same God and he is the founder of Christianity. The God of Christianity is not happy about what they are doing, but he knows they think they are worshipping him. In other words they do not know the fullness of God in the Trinity.

I personally, do not believe that God inspired the Quran. But the God the Quran is talking about is the same God, and it will prepare the way for Christianity.

Perhaps at your peril if you lump Jews and Muslims together. Scripture explains Jews/Christians and God, and the Jews spiritual blindness.
The antichrist Muslims came about hundreds of years later - in antichrist - in fulfillment of prophecy.

I believe there is a vast difference between “falseness” and the specific tenant of ANTICHRIST as a pillar of one’s religion.

Their fruit demonstrates that their god is Satan. Yahoo Christian persecution.

Christians did not rape, pillage and plunder in the Crusades. You find me in the New Testament where it instructs Christians they can rape pillage and plunder. The Crusaders who engaged in this way were not Christians. PERIOD. They called themselves Christians and are likely a horn of the two horned beast of Revelation.
The Quran, however, allows rape, pillage and plunder as part of “holy” jihad.

Don’t be silly. The ones that are blowing things up are the ones that get it. The 60% that voted for Hamas voted to kill all the Jews and drive them into the sea.

That’s why we need to save them, not pretend they worship Yahweh God.

This is a lie and blasphemy.

They worship Satan. He gives them their seat, power and authority.

Rev 13:2 And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as [the feet] of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.