The Liturgy of The Hours, in your computer

Here is the breviary book, you can download it in pdf format
sites.google.com/site/catholiclibrary1/catholic-books/Breviary.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

Matins (during the night, at midnight with some), sometimes referred to as Vigils or Nocturns, or in monastic usage the Night Office; in the Breviary of Paul VI it has been replaced by the Office of Readings
Lauds or Dawn Prayer (at Dawn, or 3 a.m.)
Prime or Early Morning Prayer (First Hour = approximately 6 a.m.)
Terce or Mid-Morning Prayer (Third Hour = approximately 9 a.m.)
Sext or Midday Prayer (Sixth Hour = approximately 12 p.m.)
None or Mid-Afternoon Prayer (Ninth Hour = approximately 3 p.m.)
Vespers or Evening Prayer (“at the lighting of the lamps”, generally at 6 p.m.)
Compline or Night Prayer (before retiring, generally at 9 p.m.)

You can use Free Alarm Clock From Cnet.com
download.cnet.com/Free-Alarm-Clock/3000-2350_4-75328290.html?tag=dropDownForm;productListing

And add church bell as your sound
download904.mediafire.com/oxds4wxo9tng/95d6sb3579d0a9l/Church+Bell.mp3

This is a nice long church bell, I use it to wake me up for matins at 3 am
archive.org/details/bells

You can recite the Divine Office, or Liturgy of the Hours in this following way, You pick 3 psalms, any psalms that suits you, recite them, end each psalms with Glory be to the Father, and recite again the anthiphon, or the opening of the psalms.

You can add Little Office of the blessed Virgin Mary, to honor the blessed virgin
liturgies.net/Liturgies/Catholic/LittleOffice1.htm

Each canonical Office is accompanied (either preceeded or followed) by the Office of Our Lady, the Virgin Mary.

We basically pray 7 times a day. That’s a lot :), in addition, you can recite the rosary, and the divine mercy chaplet three times a day, morning, noon, night.

Here is the typical day of a monk or nun in a carthusian order
chartreux.org/en/schedule.html

You can imitate their schedule and way of prayer, it is very fruitful.

May the merciful Jesus bless you:thumbsup:

Thank you so much for taking the time to share all this wonderful information!!! God bless you! :slight_smile:

You’re welcome.

There are also these sites, they will help:

littleoffice.blogspot.com/
divineoffice.org/

Divine Office.org podcasts are great resources to learn how to recite the Divine Office, and they are free. Wonderful.

I want to start praying this on a consistent basis. This will help until I get the books.

Thank you

Oh, I pray on a consistent basis too, in front of my laptop. :slight_smile:
Sometimes I miss here and there, but it’s okay.

The enemies that david spoke about are three, the devil, the flesh, and the world. And also wicked people. We can, by praying the divine office (or the psalms), conquer this enemies by the help of God. God will help us like he helped David.

Here’s a link to Universalis. The Divine Office is free online if you only need today, yesterday, and the week ahead. Otherwise they charge a fee for the full product, but you can also place it on your iPhone/smartphone.

universalis.com

The online resources are really helpful, but I have trouble with the books (Christian Prayer and even Shorter Christian Prayer) because I find them super confusing to follow.

Can anyone recommend a book that walk you through the Liturgy of the House? I found two on Amazon- the “Divine Office for Dodos” and “A Practical Guide for praying the liturgy of the hours.” Are either of these helpful?

I have heard the best thing to do is to get someone to teach you how to pray the liturgy of the hours-- but I am new to my church (I moved last year and finally settled on a parish after going to mass at about six different churches in the area.) And I know nobody in the parish. As in nobody. And I have no Catholic friends (most of my friends are non-Catholics or secular) in the area, no family and am unmarried. So the only company I have in prayer is my dog who sleeps at my feet while I pray (my family jokes that she is definitely Catholic- she once drank a whole bowl of holy water during the blessing of the animals at my old parish. She made the friars laugh super hard when she dropped her head in the bowl. It was a hot day and we couldn’t stop her-- but I digress.)

But I would like to start praying the liturgy of the hours. At the moment I have “Shorter Christian Prayer” and I will buy the larger one-book version soon, but any help would be appreciated- thanks!

PS- the universalis page is great but I personally have trouble praying reading off a computer or smartphone (I just have trouble concentrating.) So I would prefer to learn off the books.

**mariafransisca3 **and **Stylites **- Thank you for the great links! :slight_smile:

Cecelia123 - I have trouble understanding the Liturgy of the Hours and Christian Prayer so I found a solution that works perfectly for me! I subscribe to a monthly little magazine called ‘Magnificat’. (It’s about the size of a novel but thinner, so it’s not big like a magazine.) For each day it has all written out for you Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer. (It is drawn from the treasures of the Liturgy of the Hours but doesn’t follow it exactly.) It also offers two options for Night Prayer and contains the Mass readings and Responsorial Psalm. It also has a meditation of the day and more! Here is the link: magnificat.com/

I have a breviary, it can be quite confusing. So for the liturgy of the hours, say for matins, or lauds, or vespers, I just pick 3 psalms, it can be any which one. And I recite it, end it with glory be to the Father, recite again the opening of the psalms (the first line of the psalm, or the antiphon), and that’s it. It is spiritually fulfilling.

The little office of the Blessed virgin Mary is not confusing.
liturgies.net/Liturgies/Catholic/LittleOffice1.htm

and the page in the
divineoffice.org/

with the podcasts are quite clear.

After you get to know these, you will get the general idea of Divine Office.:thumbsup:

And no, you don’t need the book divine office for dodos.:slight_smile:

Excellent link about the magnificat.

magnificat.com/flipbookus/holy_week/index.asp

It is clear:thumbsup:

Thanks!

For Cecilia, you can just recite 3 psalms from your holy bible, 7 times a day. End each psalms with Glory be to the Father. And for each day, recite the Magnificat and canticle of Zechariah, morning and evening. That’s divine office.

mariafrancisca,

Thank you for your help-- and thank you for the person who posted the Magnificat. I had never seen one before-- I flipped through it and it seemed very clear and easy. So I requested a free issue and at the end of the month (payday) I think I will subscribe. I like how everything is laid out clearly and that the readings are included.

thank you, thank you!

You’re welcome.:slight_smile:

By the way, the divine office is recited every three hours, at six, at nine, at twelve and so on.

Be aware that this is not the same as the written Liturgy of the Hours, though. :wink:

If you have an iPhone (I think it’s on other smart phones, too)–download iBreviary. It is absolutely so simple to use. Pick Today, then choose the office that you wish to pray, and that’s it. No need for guides, really. :slight_smile:

I prefer to read it straight from my laptop :slight_smile:

That’ll work :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.