The Long Road To Forgiveness

An iconic photograph of the Vietnam War shows children fleeing in terror down a road after their village had been napalmed. One of the children was a 9 year old girl, she had been badly burned and was naked, her clothes consumed by the flames.

This is her story of the power of forgiveness.

On June 8, 1972, I ran out from Cao Dai temple in my village, Trang Bang, South Vietnam; I saw an airplane getting lower and then four bombs falling down. I saw fire everywhere around me. Then I saw the fire over my body, especially on my left arm. My clothes had been burned off by fire.

I was 9 years old but I still remember my thoughts at that moment: I would be ugly and people would treat me in a different way. My picture was taken in that moment on Road No. 1 from Saigon to Phnom Penh. After a soldier gave me some drink and poured water over my body, I lost my consciousness.

Several days after, I realized that I was in the hospital, where I spent 14 months and had 17 operations.

You can finish reading her statement on forgiveness, or you can listen to her tell it.
npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91964687

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.