The Lord’s Prayer ecumenical translation

Any other Catholics pray The Lord’s Prayer using the translation from the ecumenical English Language Liturgical Consultation? I use this translation when praying in PRIVATE only. I particularity like the replacement of “and lead us not into temptation” with “Save us from the time of trial” which for me better describes the many biblical references to a time of divine judgment before the ushering in of God’s kingdom.

remaining in HIS peace

steppy

1988 ELLC[17]
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever. Amen.

I have never heard of it but share your opinion of the translation. I like the wording. Thanks for sharing it.

God Bless,

Mary.

Well, it’s those last two lines that separate us from the rest of Christianity. You’ll never hear me say them until after the priest says, “Deliver us, Lord, from every evil, and grant us peace in our day…”

I’m kind of joking, but not really.

I don’t see why not. Catholics were saying this doxology long before the Reformation. It’s in the Didache. But each to his own. I don’t mind praising God with these words, attached to the Our Father or not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.