The Lord's day

I’m having a discussion with an SDA, who wants to conclude that rev 1.10 refers to the Sabbath.

I have some of my own ideas of why this refers to Sunday. Any help would be great though thanks guys.

The “Lord’s day” everywhere in the NT refers to Sunday, the day Jesus rose from the dead. It does not refer to the Sabbath, which was not negated by the Church, as SDA like to teach, but rather the obligation to keep it holy was transferred to “the Lord’s day,” Sunday, in honor of Jesus’ resurrection and to celebrate the great mystery of our salvation.

I agree of course Della. What I’m really looking for however is the evidence to support that claim.

The New Testament does not say which day of the week Christians meant by the Lord’s Day. However, other early Christian writers imply that it was not the Sabbath but rather the first day of the week, Sunday.

Ignatius of Antioch, writing about A.D. 107, implies that the Lord’s Day was not the Sabbath:
[T]herefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord’s Day, on which our life has sprung up again by him and by his death. (Ignatius of Antioch,* To the Magnesians*, chapter 9)
The first-century Christian writing, Didache (chapter 14), says that Christians assembled together to celebrate the Eucharist on the Lord’s Day. And, Justin Martyr (First Apology, chapter 67), writing about A.D. 150, says that Christians assembled together to celebrate the Eucharist on the first day of the week, Sunday.

A little stronger on this, but I don’t remember the exact chapter and verse here, but in the book of Acts, it has Paul preaching/teaching on the first day of the week. Originally the first apostles still went to the temple/wherever to preach and teach there, but they kept getting thrown out because of what they were saying. So, it appears that later they just had their “worship” on Sunday, the first day of the week.

The SDA are parroting the “visions” and subsequent (virtually incessant) writings of their foundress, Ellen Gould White. Interesting bio, should you ever care to read up on her. Serious head trauma, a three week coma, then alleged mercury poisoning before she began receiving her “visions.” One of our chaplains at work was an SDA pastor. I asked him what they do on Easter. “Not much” was the reply. Pentecost, likewise. You see, those are Sundays - the day which the evil Catholic Church will pass a law forcing all Christians to worship on (E.G. White). Odd bunch.

Acts 20 describes the meeting to break the bread on the first day of the week which is, to this day, Sunday. Paul writes that collections are to be taken up for charitable purposes on that same first day of the week (1 Corinthians 16). BTW, John in exile on the island of Patmos, received his revelation on “the Lord’s day.” (Rev 1:10) The Resurrection. The birth of the Church with the descent of the Holy Spirit. The Revelation (which Prof. Scott Hahn teaches as describing the mass), all on the first day of the week. The Apostles and early Church practiced this and handed it on to us. Done deal.

Yes, and the date they will give you is in the 300’s.
However, you can show that Catholics were worshiping on the first day of the week long before that. It goes all the way back to the New Testament times.

You can show that EACH and EVERY time the early Church used the term the Lord’s Day it was a reference to the First Day of the week. Sometimes it is clear. Sometimes it is not, BUT never can it be shown to be the seventh day Sabbath. See references here

defendingthebride.com/mc/sa/sab26.html

This corresponds to the New Testament.

** in Luke’s Gospel, chapter 24, we read about Christ’s example that we all should follow. ** [LEFT]**Luke 24:1, 13, 27, 30, 35.
(1) “But on the first day of the week…(13) That very day two of them were going to a village named Emmaus, …(27) And beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he (Jesus) interpreted to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself…(30) When he was at table with them, he took the bread and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to them…(35) Then they told what had happened on the road, and how he was known to them in the breaking of the bread.” RSV **[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Christ’s actions signify the two elements of the Lord’s Supper, the celebration of which Catholics call the Mass. Jesus opens up the Word of God to their hearts and then blesses and brakes bread with them. And He does this with the disciples on the first day of the week. [/LEFT]

**Acts 2:42-46
“And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers… breaking bread in their homes…”

We can see in the New Testament the beginning of this substitution of the first day of the week for the seventh day that the Jews had honored.

Acts 20:7
“On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the morrow; and he prolonged his speech until midnight.”

Here we see the two basic elements of Sunday worship which have been followed by the Church to this day: 1) the breaking of bread, which designates the celebration of the Lord’s Supper (Catholics call it the Mass); and 2) the sermon.**

She more here

defendingthebride.com/mc/sa/short.html

defendingthebride.com/mc/sa/sab24.html#firstday

Talks by Scott Hahn are great for them because he explains the importance of the Seventh Day.

John

The original “Ellen” falsely prophesied that this would occur in America! One then wonders what is so irresistibly tantalizing about failed prophesies. Heretical sects are full of them, and also full of true believers. I guess that, at some point, itching ears simply overwhelm the ability to reason.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.