the lord's day

what activities are considered sin on the lord’s day? is it true that it’s mortal sin to work if it’s not necessary? what about going out and doing things? doesn’t that cause others to work?

seems like in the middle ages, from what i’ve read, sunday rest observances weren’t so strict like in the protestant reformation. there were lots of leisure activity, peasants were allowed to work in their fields if the weather was going to be bad, there were sunday markets, sports activities. not sure about restaurants though, there probably weren’t relaly restaurants as we know it today. thoughts?

If you do not have to work you should not.
It’s hard to say what activities are sinful. I would say make it a family day of church and rest and leisure and your good.

It is not a sin to go shopping.

but doesn’t it cause someone else to work, when they should be having the day off as well?

2186 Those Christians who have leisure should be mindful of their brethren who have the same needs and the same rights, yet cannot rest from work because of poverty and misery. Sunday is traditionally consecrated by Christian piety to good works and humble service of the sick, the infirm, and the elderly. Christians will also sanctify Sunday by devoting time and care to their families and relatives, often difficult to do on other days of the week. Sunday is a time for reflection, silence, cultivation of the mind, and meditation which furthers the growth of the Christian interior life.

2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.

Technically driving to and attending mass requires me to work (I’m a fireman).

So that’s not the litmus test. See the catechism references above.

well yearh bu

well yeah but i meanhtings that aren’t necessary.

and i have read the catechism section, it’s not very clear. seems to leave a lot of room for interpretation

You have to remember that a lot of people are choosing to work whether you go or not. And a larger group aren’t even Catholics. Jewish people rest on Saturday and can work on a sunday etc…

So if you want to go to lunch after church or walk around the mall with family then I say do it.

Don’t hire a guy to remodel your house on Sunday or do something that can be done another day.

OP, you are confusing Catholicism with Calvinism. Catholics have never been so severe about Sunday activities.

vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_05071998_dies-domini_en.html

thank you, it was a good read.

but all it really indicated was not to do activities that would hinder worship to God. what kinds of activities does that constitute? and what if in your own relaxation, you are doing things that require others to work?

There is no provision against doing things that require others to work.

If you own a business you should allow your employees time to worship. You should also advocate for laws or programs that set Sunday aside.

The document speaks of activities that keep you from worshiping such as taking a weekend trip, going to an amusement park all day, etc…

It is typical for people to “take the weekend” and go somewhere , completely bypassing church. That is what he speaks of.

If you can go somewhere for the weekend and still go to church somewhere then there is no issue.

If you have a personal scruple/issue in this area you are welcome to spend the day at home, it is not required though.

That is for you to decide.

[quote=angell1;11920047
]

That is a matter of prudential judgment.

I know you want everything to have a black and white answer, but it doesn’t. The Church does not regulate every action in life.

We are to learn the moral principles and apply them in concrete situations using our judgment.
[/quote]

yeah, you’re right, i do want things to have a black and white answer. unfortunately for me, it really doesn’t work that way.

i guess the problem is, i don’t trust my judgment very much. what if i’m wrong?

i just don’t want to end up in mortal sin because of it.

wouldn’t it be a bit hypocritical to not want to work on sundays, but then go and do leisurely things that require others to work?

at this point, i just don’t really know. i don’t want ot do annything to offend God, is all.

i also don’t want to be scrupulous, which i have a tendency to be, which you’ve noticed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.