The Lord's Prayer and James 1:13

Hi everyone. Why is it that in the Lord’s Prayer, we ask God to not lead us into temptation when the Bible says that God does not tempt us anyway? :shrug::confused:

(Matthew 6:9 RSV) Pray then like this: Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
(Matthew 6:10 RSV) Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven.
(Matthew 6:11 RSV) Give us this day our daily bread;
(Matthew 6:12 RSV) And forgive us our debts, As we also have forgiven our debtors;
(Matthew 6:13 RSV) And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil.

(James 1:13 RSV) Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted with evil and he himself tempts no one;

Please help. I’m rather confused. :blush:

This petition is discussed at length in the , paragraphs 2846-2849Catechism of the Catholic Church.
… the Greek means both “do not allow us to enter into temptation” and “do not let us yield to temptation.” … (2846)

I think this reflects the tension between two truths - that God is omnipotent but gives us free will, etc.

It’s like “Lord, I believe - help thou mine unbelief” (Mark 9:24, one of my favorite prayers)

We pray that God lead us away from temptation even though we know he lets us choose our path, because we know we need his strength to overcome our weakness.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.