The Lords Prayer in Aramaic

from their album, Sacred Ragas, by IndiaJiva, this is Abwoon D'Bashmaya, The Lords Prayer in Aramaic:

youtube.com/watch?v=MAEIrp4MFBE

:highprayer: :crossrc: :signofcross: :gopray2: :byzsoc: :gopray: :bowdown:

I adore this!

I have listened to it for years now, and I consider it the most soothing song ever.

Do you know that Our Lord sang? Read…“Jesus’ culture was an intensely musical one (Edward Foley calls it “lyrical”) and we should certainly imagine Jesus delivering the Our Father in some kind of chanted fashion; likewise his reading from Isaiah in Luke 4, and whenever he prayed in the Temple and the Synagogue and the home…”

After identifying the bread as his “body” and the wine as his “blood,” the Gospel reads:

“And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.” (Matthew 26:30; Mark 14:26).

I often wonder if Jesus might actually have sung the original Lords Prayer in Aramaic like in that modern rendition above by Indiajiva.

It is just cool to think about Jesus singing at the Last Supper. :smiley: I would love to have heard his singing voice…

Barbara Brown talks about this subject in her ChristianCentury article “And Jesus Sang”:

Here is an excerpt, about singing the Lords Prayer:

“……Or maybe the Gospel writers thought everyone knew the tunes to some of the most famous things Jesus said—like the Beatitudes, the Lord’s Prayer or his last words from the cross. When I first learned my way through Luke, my teacher told me that the Magnificat was sung in the early church, along with the Song of Simeon. Why not the Lord’s Prayer? Maybe the music just vanished after everyone who knew it died, so that only the words remained for those who came later. Music speaks to our soft parts, and soft parts are as vulnerable as flesh, as grass, as the lilies of the field. Maybe that is what happened to Jesus’ music. It went back to where it came from until he comes again, singing us back into the presence of God…”

Vatican II in Sacrosanctum Concilium, no. 83:

“Christ Jesus, High Priest of the New and Eternal Covenant, taking human nature, introduced into this earthly exile that hymn which is sung throughout all ages in the halls of Heaven. He joins the entire community of humankind to Himself, associating it with His own singing of this canticle of Divine Praise.”.

Listening to that was...weird. I don't know, it just felt like someone is in the room with me.

**Apocryphal Acts of John **(94-96 passim; tr. M.R. James) - depicting a circle dance before the passion:

"…Now before he was taken. . . he gathered all of us together and said: Before I am delivered up unto them let us sing an hymn to the Father, and so go forth to that which lieth before us. He bade us therefore make as it were a ring, holding one another’s hands, and himself standing in the midst he said: Answer Amen unto me. He began, then, to sing an hymn and to say: Glory be to thee, Father.

And we, going about in a ring, answered him: Amen.

Glory be to thee, Word: Glory be to thee, Grace. Amen.
Glory be to thee, Spirit: Glory be to thee, Holy One:
Glory be to thy glory. Amen.
We praise thee, O Father; we give thanks to thee, O Light, wherein darkness dwelleth not. Amen.

Now whereas (or wherefore) we give thanks, I say: I would be saved, and I would save. Amen.

I would be loosed, and I would loose. Amen.
I would be wounded, and I would wound. Amen.
I would be born, and I would bear. Amen.
I would eat, and I would be eaten. Amen.
I would hear, and I would be heard. Amen.
I would be thought, being wholly thought. Amen.
I would be washed, and I would wash. Amen.
Grace danceth. I would pipe; dance ye all. Amen.
I would mourn: lament ye all. Amen.
The number Eight (lit. one ogdoad) singeth praise with us. Amen.
The number Twelve danceth on high. Amen.
The Whole on high hath part in our dancing. Amen.
Whoso danceth not, knoweth not what cometh to pass. Amen.
I would flee, and I would stay. Amen.
I would adorn, and I would be adorned. Amen.
I would be united, and I would unite. Amen.
A house I have not, and I have houses. Amen.
A place I have not, and I have places. Amen.
A temple I have not, and I have temples. Amen.
A lamp am I to thee that beholdest me. Amen.
A mirror am I to thee that perceivest me. Amen.
A door am I to thee that knockest at me. Amen.
A way am I to thee a wayfarer. . .

Now if you follow My dance, see yourselves in Me who am speaking. See yourself in Me who speaks, and seeing what I do, keep silence on My mysteries.

Thou that dancest, perceive what I do, for thine is this passion of the manhood, which I am about to suffer. . . . And if thou wouldst know concerning me, what I was, know that with a word did I deceive all things and I was no whit deceived. I have leaped: but do thou understand the whole, and having understood it, say: Glory be to thee, Father. Amen.

Thus, my beloved, having danced with us, the Lord went forth…"

What do you mean Kouyate? :slight_smile:

I am intrigued! Do you not like it? I think its beautiful :wink:

This setting has no relation with the kind of music that Jesus’ culture would have known, but I really love it. I made an .mp3 out of it last year, and it now resides in my collection of worship music.

I enjoyed it very much, but hearing it in the actual language of Jesus moved me more than the 1000s of times I’ve ever heard it in any other language.

I also love this version of the aramaic Lords Prayer:

youtube.com/watch?v=ciEd-YzlOr0

The first 2 minutes is sing, the next two is a spoken version of the Lords Prayer in Aramaic and the last part is sung again. Its very powerful.

This version is purely spoken:

youtube.com/watch?v=mUXM10Vj0P4&feature=related

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.