The Lord's Prayer.

Why don’t some protestants pray the Lord’s prayer?

I do not understand why they do not pray this prayer, they may not like the Hail Mary and others but this one Jesus gave us.

I just don’t understand.

Thanks.

I don’t know any mainstream protestant denominations, who don’t pray the Lord’s Prayer.

My guess is that the one’s who don’t are the few and insignificant.

When I was in the Marines in Infantry Combat Training, back in 1970, the one common prayer Catholics and Protestant’s shared after lights out was the Lord’s Prayer.

I’ll always remember my instructor, who shut the lights off and hear us begin to pray. He came back into the squad bay and said, " one of the greatest things I’ve ever heard, is a platoon of men praying together."

Jim

There are some who say that the Lord’s Prayer is only an example of how we should pray, and is not to be an actual prayer itself. I once heard a sermon on this at a church in my area. I was flabbergasted. The preacher made it sound like praying it as a prayer was idolatry. :frowning:

I thought all protestants prayed the Lord’s Prayer. Seen it advertised on jewelry on TV? :confused:

It was always my understanding that Protestants do say The Lord’s Prayer.

There are pockets who feel that non spontaneous, ie. written/memorized prayer, is wrong. Though even among these they will say the Lords prayer. As a poster above said though they tend to feel that the lords prayer was “just a suggestion” of how to pray but its wrong to say it to often.

That makes me feel sad.

:frowning:

I was raised in the Church of England (Anglican) and we said the Lord’s Prayer every day at primary school.

In the Protestant churches I visited, all of them prayed the Lord’s Prayer.

As others have noted there are some denominations (mostly fundamental) who will not say any written prayer. They are also non-liturgical preferring that all prayers be extempore, made up on the spot.

I was raised fundamentalist myself and never heard the Our Father until I went to a main line United Methodist church!

I love the Lord’s prayer mostly because He taught it to us. I worry that my grandchildren don’t even know it, though.

I remember as a catholic child how impressed I was by my Methodist Uncle rattling off a storm of prayers at the blessing before a meal. I always wished I could be as quick with a phrase…

Don’t you think there is merit in BOTH?

I don’t know. Where I work now we are all Christians but varied denominations, I am the only Catholic. When there is a meeting the manager says that we should all pray at the beginning which is nice but it is always that on the spot sort of prayer.

I also know that sooner or later he will ask me to lead the prayers as he has asked others before but when I pray it is always the Lord’s prayer, the Hail Mary etc.

I have also spoke with them about their churches and none of them say the Lord’s prayer at their church. I don’t know if I am wrong but it feels like this to me…

Matthew 6: 7-9

'In your prayers do not babble as the gentiles do, for they think that by using many words they will make themselves heard. Do not be like them; your Father knows what you need before you ask him. So you should pray like this: Our Father in heaven…

Who doesn’t pray the Lord’s Prayer.
All mainstream Protestants pray the Lord’s Prayer.

And a great deal of Evangelicals and Fundamentalists do not. In my small West Texas town there is one small Catholic parish and six Baptist churches alone, not to mention Pentecostals, ‘churches of Christ’, “non denominational” denominations and too many others. None of which say the Our Father or any other written prayers.

I don’t know how it is in the Phillipines, but in the US main line churches are rapidly dying. Here there is one Methodist and one Presbetyrian church and they are loosing members like crazy to the fundamentalists.

Does the Iglesia Ne Christo say the Lord’s Prayer?

I understand the Protestants do say the Our Father. Some Anglophones may say “forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors” and perhaps “may you not lead us into temptation” but it’s the same Our Father.

They are not Christians.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.