The Magic Flute

Hi,

I am currently watching a DVD of Mozart's The Magic Flute. If you have a family, you have to watch this together. It is so beautiful.

Joshua

My 2 year old and 5 year old run around our house playing at being Papageno!

Awesome!!! Are they going to be opera singers someday?

I literally just completed performing in a production of this back in July. It really is gorgeous music, a lot of fun and fantastical for kids. Plus, the costumes are usually a hoot to wear. My daughter, who is 19 months old loves the music, especially Papageno's arias. I would listen to the music in the car every day and sang with it while I was preparing my role and I'd always catch her "conducting" to the music. But when Papageno's music would come up, that head would be bopping up and down and back and forth.

I've never seen this but I love Mozart's music so would love to see it. As far as children are concerned, listen to the old cartoons and note that most of us of a certain age were exposed to classical music while watching those. Who can forget Bugs Bunny's "Rabbit of Seville"? There's a reason all that classical music was picked for those cartoons. It's timeless and it works to clearly transmit a mood or a time. What do you see when you hear this music?

[quote="Phemie, post:5, topic:253293"]
I've never seen this but I love Mozart's music so would love to see it. As far as children are concerned, listen to the old cartoons and note that most of us of a certain age were exposed to classical music while watching those. Who can forget Bugs Bunny's "Rabbit of Seville"? There's a reason all that classical music was picked for those cartoons. It's timeless and it works to clearly transmit a mood or a time. What do you see when you hear this music?

[/quote]

Haha! I'm playing the Grieg right now and my first reaction is "The Smurfs". My daughter is listening to it and she is currently swaying back and forth and clapping her hands.

To me it’s always a view of the sun rising quickly over a cartoon house and birds starting to sing.

[quote="Phemie, post:7, topic:253293"]
To me it's always a view of the sun rising quickly over a cartoon house and birds starting to sing.

[/quote]

I grew up during the era of the Smurfs and they used this along with many other classical pieces all the time in their shows. It was my first introduction to Grieg.

[quote="Sarabande, post:8, topic:253293"]
I grew up during the era of the Smurfs and they used this along with many other classical pieces all the time in their shows. It was my first introduction to Grieg.

[/quote]

It's funny how many of the kids in my grade 10 class were very vocal about their hate of classical music. To prove them wrong our English teacher brought in recordings of Tchaikovsky's* 1812 Overture and Beethoven's *"Wellington's Victory" & the 4th movement of the "Ninth Symphony". They actually 'got' 'Wellington's Victory', recognizing certain elements that helped them understand what Beethoven meant. He was the first teacher to say "You don't need to 'understand' what's being played, just enjoy the sound."

When my mother pooh-poohed the idea that I could 'understand' the Ninth, I asked her if she 'understood' "Road to the Isles" or "The Maple Sugar Reel" or "St. Anne's Reel" or if she just 'enjoyed' the music. I think since I also enjoyed those pieces, it was at that point she understood that I wasn't trying to put on airs. :)

[quote="Phemie, post:9, topic:253293"]
It's funny how many of the kids in my grade 10 class were very vocal about their hate of classical music. To prove them wrong our English teacher brought in recordings of Tchaikovsky's* 1812 Overture and Beethoven's *"Wellington's Victory" & the 4th movement of the "Ninth Symphony". They actually 'got' 'Wellington's Victory', recognizing certain elements that helped them understand what Beethoven meant.

[/quote]

That is awesome!!!! I taught basic music theory and music appreciation in the classrooms from Pre-K to 8th grade for a couple of years and I swear that a self-proclaimed "hatred" or at least "dislike" of classical music from the older kids is learned. This is due to my experience of seeing how most of the younger children tend to have almost an equal liking of different styles of music as long as it is presented well.

This is my favorite opera by Mozart. I was blessed to actually see it performed in Vienna several years back. Nothing like seeing operas performed in the country where they orginated in.

God bless.

[quote="Little_One0307, post:11, topic:253293"]
This is my favorite opera by Mozart. I was blessed to actually see it performed in Vienna several years back. Nothing like seeing operas performed in the country where they orginated in.

God bless.

[/quote]

So, so true!!! I would LOVED to have seen it (or performed it, although that is a far-far-off goal) in Vienna. I was fortunate to have studied for a summer at the Mozarteum conservatory in Salzburg where Mozart was born and raised. Our masterclasses looked out onto the area where he supposedly spent some time composing "The Magic Flute". Having the fortune and blessing to be in that city for the summer was magical, indeed, and the place seemed to breathe Mozart and Haydn, in particular.

We saw it at the Met. in NY last year over New Years weekend. It was fun.

There is a little boutique hotel right across the street from the Lincoln Center that is pretty nice and reasonably priced (for NY) called the Empire Hotel.

To tell you the truth, it was almost painful to watch, even though I knew it was beautiful. I couldn't even watch the whole thing.

[quote="joshrp, post:14, topic:253293"]
To tell you the truth, it was almost painful to watch, even though I knew it was beautiful. I couldn't even watch the whole thing.

[/quote]

Yes, it wasn't painful for me, but I really wasn't blown away with the recent Met production. There was such a craze about it. It was ok, but I preferred their previous production.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.