The Malankara Mar Thoma Syrian Church?

So, I was just doing a bit of research on Syrian Christianity which is made up mostly of various Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Catholic Churches with the Church of East thrown in as well. However, I found out about another Church called the “Malankara Mar Thoma Syrian Church.” It is obviously not in communion with the Catholic Church. And surprisingly it also does not seem to be in communiom with the Oriental Orthodox either. They are actually a pretty sizeable Church with about 2 million member’s. I looked into its doctrines and it actually shares some beliefs with Protestants. In fact, I found out their founder was influenced by Anglican missionarys. They are Iconoclast, rejecting all images and icons. They also reject veneration and prayer to Saints. They don’t pray for the dead and don’t believe in the sacrament of confession. Though, they do seem to believe in the priesthood as well as the real presence in the Eucharist. Now, they are not classified as Protestants which has me alittle confused considering the fact that they reject certain doctrines of apostolic Christianity. I am also wondering if they possibly have apostolic succession. If someone could tell me more about them I would greatly appreciate it.

And we patiently await the response of SyroMalankaran, who frequents these boards. If i’m not mistaken, I believe he is from Kerala…:slight_smile:

They are like Episcopelians.
A bit Apostolic-like at first, but underneath they’re protestants.

The vacant seat of Rome is always open for Papacy, this is ‘their’ doctrinal error.

My understanding is they are a break off from the ancient apostolic see, of Thomas the Apostle, in India. Brought about by Protestant missionaries, fairly recently (relative to 2000 years of history).

So, do they or do they not have apostolic succession? That is what I’m most curious about.

:shrug: I’ve never heard about or researched this question.

One of my close friends grew up in that church. They identify as being “Reformed Orthodox”. I personally find that to be a contradiction (and so does my friend. He has since gone full Protestant and is a strong Calvinist from what I can tell).

From what he tells me, their liturgy and most of their theology is still mostly traditional. But they have adopted reformed positions in a few areas (I think they are all pointed out in the first post)

They have bishops ordained by the laying on of hand if I’m not mistaken

The oriental churches are bound to accept Triune and moral dogmas. The orthodox churches are bound to accept the Triune dogma of God. Generally, we cannot make conceptual meaning of eternal juriserrors, but radically we must understand the divine meaning that the Gospel is primordially and morally cosmic though in its moral sense it’s not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.