The man who saved more human lives than any other, has died

NORMAN BORLAUG, the man who saved more human lives than any other, has died.

This article by Gregg Easterbrook is worth reading. Borlaug may have saved a billion lives, yet he’s barely known. The lives he saved were poor people, and he saved them with science. Doesn’t fit the narrative.

by Glenn Reynolds pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/wp-content/themes/instapundit/images/permalink.gif

Borloug toiled in authentic science while Ehrlich et al had a political agenda? RIP

Wow, that is incredible. Thanks and may he rest in peace.

I can’t believe he has gone. This man deserved to be as well known as Mother Teresa, yet most have never heard of him.

People are still morning and talking about Michael Jackson while this great hero dies virtually unknown. It just makes me see red.

I grew up in a town in Mexico where Bourlag develop his resistant wheat during the winter.
Most of the streets are named after him, and the FAO still has research labs over there.

He was a good guy that trumped a lot for the doomsayers of the 60’s and 70’s.

May he rest in peace.

I betcha he is greatly celebrated in heaven.
Thank you for this interesting article. I didn’t know this. My fault, but still, American news reporting is an unfunny joke.

bump

Libs consistently claim that there are no scientific advances possible that will provide the resources to feed and house and provide energy for a large population.

Well, here is just ONE man who did just that.

[No telling how many similar geniuses have been aborted. It takes just ONE person to make ONE breakthrough to make all the difference in the world. We should be encouraging a much larger population in the hopes of getting a few more like Borlaug instead of killing off people for that gloomanddoom vision of “sustainability”. May God have mercy on us.]

Interesting as a Liberal I’ve never heard this and Dr. Borlaug has often been brought out as an example by Liberals for the good humans can do for his saving of billions. It is said most have never heard of him yet people like Mother Teresa are world famous.

There are a bunch of threads on CAF that we are running out of resources and the earth cannot support this huge number of people.

But you gave me a great idea; to post this thread on one of the more recent debates that the population is unsustainable and etc ipso facto [insert Latin for “the sky is falling”] we need to reduce population. We are out of oil and everything else.

Excellent suggestion / inspiration!!

Thank you!

[sorry for jumping to a conclusion, but which “this” were you referring to?]

“Libs consistently claim that there are no scientific advances possible that will provide the resources to feed and house and provide energy for a large population.”

That this.

You can search for threads here and on Google for “overpopulation” and “sustainability”.

But in the meanwhile, here is a recent thread here on CAF

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=365941

You can also search for similar discussions using the key words “Malthusian” and “peak oil” and other similar terms.

The Club of Rome published “Limits to Growth” which fell apart.

And there was the famous “bar bet” on future availability of natural resources.

I’ll try to post a link to that as well.

“One of the greatest threats to mankind today is that the world may be choked by an explosively pervading but well camouflaged bureaucracy.”

• Norman Borlaug

All of us who are tempted to believe in government solutions to human problems need to take heed, least we become bamboozled by the Paul Ehrlich’s and Al Gore’s of this world.

The usual nuts on the far ends of the spectrum taking a few concepts and tossing them out of proportion.

With apologies, but your comment is not a complete sentence.

Which is ok.

But, not helpful in discussion and debate.

For example, here is a new thread about one of the liberal LEADERS. The liberal thought espoused by this particular liberal leader has been adopted by many people, even if they have not thought it through completely.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=373872

This is a serious issue.

Don’t mean to pick nits, but incomplete sentences that cause readers to fill in the unspoken or unwritten words often yield inaccurate logical and/or conclusions.

[Reminds me of how liberals were allowed to get away with “Bush didn’t serve”, when all the time, Bush was an accomplished fighter pilot. Incomplete sentence: “Bush didn’t serve.”]

With apologies, but your comment is not a complete sentence.

Which is ok.

But, not helpful in discussion and debate.

For example, here is a new thread about one of the liberal LEADERS. The liberal thought espoused by this particular liberal leader has been adopted by many people, even if they have not thought it through completely.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=373872

This is a serious issue.

Don’t mean to pick nits, but incomplete sentences that cause readers to fill in the unspoken or unwritten words often yield inaccurate logical and/or conclusions.

[Reminds me of how liberals were allowed to get away with “Bush didn’t serve”, when all the time, Bush was an accomplished fighter pilot. Incomplete sentence: “Bush didn’t serve.”]

It is also a good way to get into my ignore file. When someone can only nit grammar and spelling you know you’ve made a point they can’t really respond to.

Nevertheless, Western environmental groups have campaigned against introducing high-yield farming techniques to Africa, and have persuaded image-sensitive organizations such as the Ford Foundation and the World Bank to steer clear of Borlaug. So far the only prominent support for Borlaug’s Africa project has come from former President Jimmy Carter, a humanist and himself a farmer, and from the late mediagenic multimillionaire Japanese industrialist Ryoichi Sasakawa.

DDT could well have saved many millions of wasted lives from malaria, were it not for the one size fits all policies of environmentalist, and it is not hard to believe that this is not the only of their issued that are filling the morgues of the Third World.

We don’t here much of the Green revolution these days, so it is good to be reminded of a remarkable life, someone who truly loved human life according to the gift he was given.

This man has lead an amazing life! Now the trick will be to get someone to continue his work.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.