The Mark of the Beast

What is it, and when will it get here?

“16 And he causes all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free men and the slaves, [m]to be given a mark on their right hand or on their forehead, 17 and he provides that no one will be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark, either the name of the beast or the number of his name. 18 Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for the number is that of a man; and his number is [n]six hundred and sixty-six.” Rev. 13:16-18 (NASB)

Since having a mark on your forehead is identified with Baptism and the Sign of the Cross made with chrism; and Revelation talks about it in connection with the number of the Saints (and it’s connected by similar words to the mark made by Ezekiel’s angel, who was going around Jerusalem marking whoever was righteous enough to mourn idolatry going on in the Temple) …

… obviously the “mark of the Beast” is a symbol of idolatry.

(Friends don’t let friends worship idols.)

I believe that the mark of the beast is so-called “same-sex marriage” since it symbolizes the opposite of Christ wed with the Church, and it’s starting to seem like no one can buy or sell without approving of it. The mark on the hand is the ring put on the finger of the ones who go through the ceremony. And the mark on the head is the mental acceptance of it by whoever gives approval.

Also, the satanists consider it to be one of their sacraments.

What is it, and when will it get here?

So, I am standing at the local deli, and I look over to my right and see a young gentleman with a cell phone in his hand, and around his left ear was a “Bluetooth” cell phone gizmo.

He was talking to someone on his wireless Bluetooth cell phone, and looking down at his cell phone while he talked. He was engaged in an intense conversation with someone, but certainly no one that was physically standing near or next to him.

I couldn’t help but think to myself - Mark of the Beast. It just struck me as odd - Right hand had the rectangular, slick cell phone, and his ear had the Bluetooth earpiece. He was definitely “hooked” into the latest techie gadgetry.

The technology is here, and will only get smaller until you can make calls from your wrist and forehead. You won’t be able to buy items with cash, only digital currency. Most people pay with credit cards now, and a lot of the economy is now digital. Bitcoin is ever the rage. Technology keeps advancing faster and faster.

20 years ago, the Internet was just getting started. Look where we are today. In another 20 years, the coming changes in technology will be indescribable.

I think it is idolatry and it can be seen in these 2 videos that explains the number 666
and the name and the mark.
youtube.com/watch?v=iku8YzLFPpE
youtube.com/watch?v=zD246ig0-gI

Well, you clearly need it in order to buy/sell, which indicates that it’s literal. One of the puzzling things (to me) is why this mark would be in the right hand specifically. I’m sure the right hand symbolizes allegiance, but since it’s a physical mark it is interesting why the mark is specifically in the right hand and they can’t take it in the left hand. Strange.

OK, you know that 666 is the Number of the Beast, but did you know that:

660 Approximate number of the Beast
DCLXVI Roman numeral of the Beast
666.0000 Number of the High Precision Beast
0.666 Number of the Millibeast
/666 Beast Common Denominator
1010011010 Binary of the Beast
Beast1-666 Area code of the Beast
00666 Postcode of the Beast
1-900-666-0666 Live Beasts! One-on-one pacts! Call Now! Only $6.66/minute. Over 18 only please.
$665.95 Retail price of the Beast
$699.25 Price of the Beast plus sales tax
$769.95 Price of the Beast with all accessories and replacement soul
$656.66 Target price of the Beast
Route 666 Way of the Beast
666F Oven temperature for roast Beast
666mg Recommended Minimum Daily Requirement of Beast
Netscape 6.66 BetaBrowser of the Beast
i66686 CPU of the Beast
666I BMW of the Beast
668 Next-door neighbour of the Beast
:smiley:
catholic-pages.com/grabbag/666.asp

There are a myriad of interpretations regarding the symbols in Revelation. What you must remember: This was revealed to St. John to encourage the seven churches to persevere. It is a letter of encouragement, that the Church will persevere. Although this was written initially for the seven churches, it still applies. These events occur in cycles. We see it currently happening in Iraq and Nigeria, China, and other countries. It occurred in communist Russia; it occurred in Europe under Hitler. Will there be a final anti-Christ? Yes. But we should not be looking at him; we should be looking at our own country and how this country is trying to suppress the Catholic Church. The final anti-Christ might not be in our lifetime, but there will be some before him. But have courage.

Roman slaves were branded or tattooed on the hand or forehead. It was a sign of ownership. Some soldiers were also tattooed once they were fully trained as a sign of allegiance to the emperor whom they served.

The Book of Revelation was written to encourage the Churches who were being persecuted because they refused to worship the emperors.

The Latin word for tattoo is stigma. Greeks and Romans considered tattoos a disgrace and often punished people with tattoos.

-Tim-

Hi,

Yes, but this mark is future, not past. It is something that will happen near the end of history.

Why do you believe that? For all anyone knows [without an infallible interpreter of the Word] John could have been speaking of the past or the present, which both seem more likely given the overall context of Revelation.

But just between you and me, the foundress of a somewhat popular sect who really like to harp on “mark of the beast” has a name that happens to equal 666. Maybe it was her? :wink:

We have to understand the context of the book before we start applying it to future times. This is the widely accepted historical Christian way of interpreting Scripture. We have to understand the literal context before we understand the spiritual context. Christians have been interpreting Scripture this way since the beginning of Christianity and it hasn’t changed. Ask any pastor who has been to a real seminary and he will tell you about the literal and spiritual senses of Scripture.

The Book of Revelation speaks of future events but it was written to seven Churches in Asia Minor which were struggling with the problem of Emperor worship at that specific time. Emperor worship was the main problem in the Book of Revelation. This isn’t something I made up but a matter of historical record.

Those who did not participate in emperor worship were barred from commerce, shunned from society, arrested and sometimes put to death.

And to the angel of the church in Per’gamum write: `The words of him who has the sharp two-edged sword. I know where you dwell, where Satan’s throne is; you hold fast my name and you did not deny my faith even in the days of An’tipas my witness, my faithful one, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells." (Revelation 2:12-13)

Antipas (in the passage above) had been appointed leader of the Church in Pergamum and was martyred by burning on the altar of the temples to the Emperor Trajan in that city for refusing to command his congregation to worship the emperor.

The Book of Revelation was written as a message of hope to Christians in an age of Emperor worship and great persecution, that those who persevere to the end will be greatly blessed and rewarded with entry into heaven.

*I John, your brother, who share with you in Jesus the tribulation and the kingdom and the patient endurance (Revelation 1:9

I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance (Revelation 2:2)

Because you have kept my word of patient endurance (Revelation 3:10)

Here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints. (Revelation 13:10)

Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus. (Revelation 14:12)*

It is a message of hope during an age of emperor worship for those that endure persecution patiently. Only when we accept these historical facts can we begin to understand what the book it means to us today for our salvation and what it means for the future. It’s not only about the future. The literal context of the mark of the beast are roman tattoos as a sign of ownership or slavery.

-Tim-

I think it will be an implant of some sort.

ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/cash-or-charge-why-watches-chip-implants-may-be-retail-s-future-1.1973464

If cash was outlawed, and people were forced to use electronic transactions, then this woujld fit the mark of the beast very well.

theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/a-cashless-society-may-be-closer-than-most-people-would-ever-dare-to-imagine

In Sweden, only about 3 percent of all transactions still involve cash. The following comes from a recent Washington Post article….

In most Swedish cities, public buses don’t accept cash; tickets are prepaid or purchased with a cell phone text message. A small but growing number of businesses only take cards, and some bank offices — which make money on electronic transactions — have stopped handling cash altogether.

“There are towns where it isn’t at all possible anymore to enter a bank and use cash,” complains Curt Persson, chairman of Sweden’s National Pensioners’ Organization.

In the same way, you wouldn’t be able to buy or sell if the powers that be cancelled your ID access. No transactions, no food, no water, no clothes, no electricity, no fuel

If you’ve been a naughty boy in a Moslem society for example - twice - and are missing both hands, then the forehead’s another possibility.

Between satellite surveillance, a world wide web, and a cashless society, the idea of a universal implant is quite possible.

666 Biblical Number of the Beast
660 Approximate Number of the Beast
DCLXVI Roman Numeral of the Beast
665 Number of the Beast’s Older Brother
667 Number of the Beast’s Younger Sister
664 or 668 Number of the Beast’s Next-Door Neighbors
999 Number of the Australian Beast
333 Number of the Semi-Beast (also “Halfway to Hell”)
66 Number of the Downsized Beast
6, uh…, I forget Number of the Blond Beast
666.0000 Number of the High Precision Beast
665.9997856 Number of the Beast on a Pentium
0.666 Number of the Millibeast
X / 666 Beast Common Denominator
0.00150150… Reciprocal of the Beast
-666 Opposite of the Beast
666i Imaginary Number of the Beast
6.66 x 102 Scientific Notation of the Beast
25.8069758… Square Root of the Beast
443556 Square of the Beast
1010011010 Binary Number of the Beast
1232 Octal of the Beast
29A Hexidecimal of the Beast
2.8235 Log of the Beast
6.5913 Ln of the Beast
1.738 x 10289 Anti-Log of the Beast
00666 Zip Code of the Beast
666@hell.org E-mail Address of the Beast
www.666.com Website of the Beast
1-666-666-6666 Phone & FAX Number of the Beast
1-866-666-6666 Toll Free Number of the Beast
(which could also be written 18-666-666-666!)
1-900-666-6666 Live Beasts, available now! One-on-one pacts!
Only $6.66 per minute! (Must be over 6+6+6 years old!)
666-66-6666 Social Security Number of the Beast
Form 10666 Special IRS Tax Forms for the Beast
66.6% Tax Rate of the Beast
6.66% 6-Year CD Interest Rate at First Beast Bank of Hell
($666 minimum deposit, $666 early withdrawal fee)
$666/hr Billing Rate of the Beast’s Lawyer
$665.95 Retail Price of the Beast
$710.36 Price of the Beast plus 6.66% Sales Tax
$769.95 Price of the Beast with accessories and replacement soul
$656.66 Wal-Mart Price of the Beast (next week $646.66!)
$55.50 Monthly Payments for Beast, in 12 easy installments
Phillips 666 Gasoline Used by the Beast (regular $6.66/gal)
Route 666 Highway of the Beast (where he gets his kicks!)
666 mph Speed Limit on the Beast’s Highway
6-6-6 Fertilizer of the Beast
666 lb cap Weight Limit of the Beast
666 Minutes Weekly News Show about the Beast (airs daily from
Midnight to 11:06 a.m., on Cable Channel 666, of course)
666o F Oven Temperature for Cooking “Roast Beast”
666k Retirement Plan of the Beast
666 mg Recommended Minimum Daily Requirement of Beast
Lotus 6-6-6 Spreadsheet of the Beast
Word 6.66 Word Processor of the Beast
Windows 666 Bill Gates’ Personal Beast Operating System
#666666 Font Color of the Beast (the gray in this table, no kidding!)
i66686 CPU of the Beast
666-I BMW of the Beast
IAM 666 License Plate Number of the Beast
Formula 666 All Purpose Cleaner of the Beast
WD-666 Spray Lubricant of the Beast
DSM-666 (rev) Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the Beast
66.6 MHz FM Radio Station of the Beast
666 KHz AM Radio Station of the Beast
66 for 6 A Beastly Score for an Innings (in cricket)
6 for 66 Bowling Figures of the Beast
6/6/6 Birthday of the Beast (but in which century?)
This collection was compiled and expanded from various sources,
including anonymous e-mails forwarded by various people,
and similar collections online at yamon.freeserve.co.uk/Beast.html
and dontflameme.com/jokes/2000jokes/january2000.html

P.S. How many rows are in the above table? Is that a coincidence?

More Beastly Numbers
(six more, partly inspired by all the hoopla over June 6, 2006!)
6.66o F A Cold Day in Hell
Boeing 666 The Beast’s Personal Airplane Model
Airforce 666 The Name of the Beast’s Airplane (after he becomes President!)
C6H6O6 The Beast’s Favorite Chemical (1,2,3-cyclopropanetricarboxylic acid)
666 Atomic Mass of Governmentium (it contains no protons or electrons, but has 1 neutron, 15 assistant neutrons, 35 deputy neutrons, 80 vice neutrons, 145 supervisory neutrons, 165 team leader neutrons and 225 consulting neutrons, giving it an atomic mass of 666)
6.66% 30-Year Mortgage Rate on 06/06/06 (not a joke, but a curious coincidence!)

Apocalyptic genre was very popular at the time. It uses odd symbols, weird imagery, scary words. The error is seeing Revelation as some kind of crystal ball of the future. Past, present ,future are all jumbled together.
The thing about Apocalyptic literature is it is to raise awareness to the fact ,no matter horrible things get as a Christian all will become clear and God is always victorious.
It is not to be a scary adult fairytale or to be taken literally.

The book is so vague that a any body can see anything they wish in it’s pages.Is it a map of the future or was it written to keep hope alive in extreme circumstances?
Then we have speculators trying to read into the symbols,the Horror of Microchips and the bane of bar codes. (I want to be marked as a can of tasty Green Giant Beans! ) Which makes as much sense as any of the other speculations.

The gist of it is this-Revelation is a mighty difficult read but is highly symbolic and not to be taken literally.Scholars have had a hard time since canon-what do they do with this troublesome book?
Most of the speculative stuff is not in line with Catholic teaching.
Wackiness aside Revelation has the words to some of the best hymns on the planet.

Revelation is not difficult with a little study. With some knowledge of the Old Testament and Biblical History it becomes quite easy. Revelation is only difficult for those who read it apart from the rest of the Bible.

The Book of Revelation is at the end of the Bible for a reason. God and the Church assume that the reader has read and understood everything before it. You can’t understand the last chapter of Lord of the Rings or Gone with the Wind unless unless you have read everything before it. The Bible is no different. The Bible tells a story. We have to understand the story.

One thing about Revelation becomes crystal clear when we read it in the context of the rest of the Bible and understand the story - It isn’t about surveillance or implants or the internet. :rolleyes:

-Tim-

Simple: the beast/false prophet make war with Christ at his return. So it has to happen near the end of history.

The literal context of the mark of the beast is nothing of the sort. The context is the end of history which is why the beast and false prophet are making war with Christ at his return.

Another reason why the mark of the beast hasn’t happened throughout history and must be yet future: the false prophet causes everyone on the entire planet to receive the mark. No-one is exempt. That has never happened in all of history.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.