The Mark Of The Beast?

I have become disturbed lately after hearing a few news reports about people getting implanted in their arms an electronic identifier. I think that THIS could be the “Mark of the Beast” that has been prophesised in the Bible. While so far this is being called a “private” enterprise in certain companies and that it is completely “voluntary”, I wonder how long it will be before some nitwit politician proposes this in law? Of cours, this will only be for “public safety” and our “own good”. We only have to look at what the Social Security number has become, going way beyond what it was originally intended for.

I started a thread on this subject over in Secular News. Here is the thread:
US group implants electronic tags in workers
PF

I think the mark of te beast has to be knowingly and willingly chosen. I am sure we will all know what the mark is if it ever appears.

[quote=wjp984]I think the mark of te beast has to be knowingly and willingly chosen. I am sure we will all know what the mark is if it ever appears.
[/quote]

Probably not amongst cradle catholics. Their knowledge of prophecy has been weighed and measure is found to be wanton.

On the otherhand, converts such as myself have a far better awareness…

What? I don’t understand - Joey are you being serious there? Why would converts know more about prophecy than cradle Catholics? And even if for some reason they do know more, why would you call what cradle Catholics know ‘wanton’? What are we supposed to know that we don’t? And why are you generalising, seeing as how there are probably some cradle Catholics who are experts on prophecy?

And if you’re not being fully serious about what you said, then what are you doing? Trying to insult cradle Catholics? Why?

I am a “Cradle Catholic” and know Scripture. The benefit Catholics have is that we are better able to know scripture in it’s context. The various other denominations which you claim have a better understanding of “prophesy” are more likely to choose what they like rather than taking Scripture as a full deposit of truth, it is not uncommon for them to make an interpretation that contradicts other parts of the Bible.

The One Holy, (Universal) Catholic and Apostolic Church has far more credibility when it comes to interpreting Scripture. How many Protestant denominations have given a doomsday “date” so to speak, and it passed and everyone forgot about it. *False *Prophesy runs rampant… with that I could agree.

This Cradle Catholic has done her homework, and I avoid false prophets. Please don’t underestimate Cradle Catholics. Not all of us are non-practicing or uncatechized.

I would be concerned if in order to get a microchip or other identifying mark , we had to sign a “contract” or paper that agrees to things like forced secularism, abortion, infanticide, Euthansia, Homosexual marriage, Genocide, Eugenics, etc. I could see that as selling out to the Beast. I am already concerned that when a person lives under and supports a government “cultural Machine” that promotes the culture of death, we are selling out.

if you really want to think about it, any implantable chip is only an extension of what we all carry now. using an ATM card, grocery store card, and credit cards, your every move is known. and if you carry a cell phone made since 2001, it’s E911 feature (mandated by congress) allows someone to know your exact location to within about 20 feet… at any time, even if the phone isn’t being used. (yes, the GPS will transmit intermittently unbeknownst to you every few seconds. the only option, turn the phone off) - so any chip is just the next step to what we already have.

[quote=thechrismyster]if. and if you carry a cell phone made since 2001, it’s E911 feature (mandated by congress) allows someone to know your exact location to within about 20 feet… .
[/quote]

if I could be sure I was within 20 feet of my cell phone at any given time that would work, but the dang thing is never where it is supposed to be, so if they are looking for me, finding the cell phone won’t do it. how do I make the technology work for me so I don’t spend half my time looking for the thing? sure I can call myself, but that only works if I didn’t leave it at work, Walmart etc.

[quote=Flopfoot]What? I don’t understand - Joey are you being serious there? Why would converts know more about prophecy than cradle Catholics? And even if for some reason they do know more, why would you call what cradle Catholics know ‘wanton’? What are we supposed to know that we don’t? And why are you generalising, seeing as how there are probably some cradle Catholics who are experts on prophecy?

And if you’re not being fully serious about what you said, then what are you doing? Trying to insult cradle Catholics? Why?
[/quote]

I have conducted several Bible Studies on the Book of Revelation at various parishes.

The first thing I do is have the participants write what they know about the book of revelations and I scramble these and read them out loud. Most answers are “I don’t know anything about it” or “It’s a scare tactic written for the early church and has no bearing on Modern Catholics” Very few indeed have revelant knowledge.

Now, flopfoot, do you have an understanding of my position toward cradle catholics and the Revelations?

So? I got a nice scar from the sharp point of a clothes hanger on the surface of my right hand…it was an accident when I was trying to put clothes on the hanger. Does that mean that’s the mark of the beast?:rolleyes:

Yeah, my cat scratched me one time and left a scar on my forearm. It hurt like the dickens. That cat was being such a beast that day.

The Bible is pretty specific that the mark of the beast will be a mark in the hand or the forehead, and will enable people to buy and sell. And it will be very apparent what this mark will be to Christians, if you take it you’re damned to hell.

I wouldn’t get crazy with any implant or electronic device that doesn’t fit that criteria.

[quote=Mike_D30]The Bible is pretty specific that the mark of the beast will be a mark in the hand or the forehead, and will enable people to buy and sell. And it will be very apparent what this mark will be to Christians, if you take it you’re damned to hell.

I wouldn’t get crazy with any implant or electronic device that doesn’t fit that criteria.
[/quote]

Huh? That means if we have a mark, we’re damned to hell?:confused:

[quote=JoeyWarren]I have conducted several Bible Studies on the Book of Revelation at various parishes.

The first thing I do is have the participants write what they know about the book of revelations and I scramble these and read them out loud. Most answers are “I don’t know anything about it” or “It’s a scare tactic written for the early church and has no bearing on Modern Catholics” Very few indeed have revelant knowledge.

Now, flopfoot, do you have an understanding of my position toward cradle catholics and the Revelations?
[/quote]

Hmm, I starting to get what you mean. I don’t know too much more about it than you say most of your students knew anyway, although I have read it. I didn’t realise that the CC has actually issued some teaching about what this book in the bible actually all means. Can you please send me a link or recommend a book that would explain to me the official interpretation of Revelations?

Isn’t the anti-christ supposed to assume power after the great
tribulation/chastisement?

I got my info from:

unitypublishing.com/Worldsend.htm

I’ve no idea how reliable it is!

God bless,
Noel.

[quote=Flopfoot]Hmm, I starting to get what you mean. I don’t know too much more about it than you say most of your students knew anyway, although I have read it. I didn’t realise that the CC has actually issued some teaching about what this book in the bible actually all means. Can you please send me a link or recommend a book that would explain to me the official interpretation of Revelations?
[/quote]

I have not read any outside source on this issue. My best knowledge is that the Church has elected to leave this book alone and for good reason. It is dangerous to try to interpret it. I tread on dangerous ground even when I conduct Bible study on it. I being an ex-Pentecostal know what the Rapture believing protestants know about it, so I cover what they say and then point out the dangers of that.

My bible study came about after our Deacon gave a homily on “Left Behnid”

It’s somewhat ironic because, I visited “The Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament” today and purchased the “The Rapture Trap” by Paul Thigpen.

Do a search on “Paul Olson”. He grewup like I did believing in the Rapture, he has written some articles and some books on the subject, which I plan on buying soon.

BTW, put Mother Angelica is very sick, she is expected to be bed ridden for the remainder of the month. See my “Prayer Alert” in the News section.

[quote=nkelly]Isn’t the anti-christ supposed to assume power after the great
tribulation/chastisement?

I got my info from:

unitypublishing.com/Worldsend.htm

I’ve no idea how reliable it is!

God bless,
Noel.
[/quote]

I don’t know…

that website sounds radical in nature.

[quote=Paris Blues]Huh? That means if we have a mark, we’re damned to hell?:confused:
[/quote]

But will some take the mark unknowingly? IE having these medical record implants. There is no proof either way that the mark will be visible on the skin. It could be an invisible mark under the skin such as a chip implant.

My word of warning would be to deny any attempt to have any implant done…

This war on terrorism may just usher in the need for implants for identification of non-terrorists…

[quote=thechrismyster]if you really want to think about it, any implantable chip is only an extension of what we all carry now. using an ATM card, grocery store card, and credit cards, your every move is known. and if you carry a cell phone made since 2001, it’s E911 feature (mandated by congress) allows someone to know your exact location to within about 20 feet… at any time, even if the phone isn’t being used. (yes, the GPS will transmit intermittently unbeknownst to you every few seconds. the only option, turn the phone off) - so any chip is just the next step to what we already have.
[/quote]

Yes, I agree with what u say here, but now you can still use cash. What if cash becomes no more and the chip becomes the “cash”? What if without the chip you are not allowed to buy or sell anything? Not allowed to get a job? To get healthcare? It sounds like the prophecy could thus be fulfilled.

Could it not be that, the mark of the beast is a spirtual thing like a state of mind. it said in the bible you would not be able to trade, or do certain things unless you had the mark of the beast. but that doesn,t necceraly mean it will be somthing that is visible, rather it could be just a covenent with the anti christ and the politics of that time, you could be marked spiritualy just by conforming to the ideology of the culture that may be prevailent in the future. To join any political party that would be against the catholic church, or to be with any organisation that offends the father and the son and the holy spirit. You maybe asked to give up your faith or forced not to preach the word, It maybe that you wont be able to express your faith, and if you do you will be cut off from finances and over necerary things needed for survival. Regimes like this have existed before, and they will exist again. those who keep the faith will have the word of god written on there fore heads, but that doesnt mean they will literaly have a mark on there heads. what do you think of what i have said?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.