The Masons are like Boyscouts for Old Geezers and they have a lot of fun together.

I met some old guys today who were in their Mason garb, I thought they were Knights of the Columbus actually. They have a lot of fun. They have nifty vests with badges and patches for these roundups or get togethers. I asked them why the Catholic Church didn’t like them and one old guy told me that it was because they have some secret stuff for their club, like their little rituals and passwords, and they wouldn’t reveal their secret stuff to the priests long ago. They told me that that didn’t apply today and Catholics were in their club. They told me that there was nothing occult or anti-Church about their club.

They also informed me that the Mormon Church patterned many of their rituals and ceremonies after the Masons and that Joseph Smith was a Mason.

I sincerely can’t understand why there is this any problem with this group. It’s just a fun social club for old farts, it appears to me.

aculink.net/~catholic/masonry3.htm

Ridiculous. Masons are harmless old guys who enjoy each other.

Your website reminds me of some of those off the wall Protestant ones that say the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon and the Pope the anti-Christ.

Yeah, the Guys at the low level.Do a google search on the Masons.

To answer the question “What is wrong with the Freemasons?” (From here):

Freemasonry is incompatible with the Catholic faith. Freemasonry teaches a naturalistic religion that espouses indifferentism, the position that a person can be equally pleasing to God while remaining in any religion.

Masonry is a parallel religion to Christianity. The states, “Freemasonry displays all the elements of religion, and as such it becomes a rival to the religion of the Gospel. It includes temples and altars, prayers, a moral code, worship, vestments, feast days, the promise of reward and punishment in the afterlife, a hierarchy, and initiative and burial rites” (vol. 6, p. 137).

**Masonry is also a secret society. Its initiates subscribe to secret blood oaths that are contrary to Christian morals. The prospective Mason swears that if he ever reveals the secrets of Masonry—secrets which are trivial and already well-known—he wills to be subject to self-mutilation or to gruesome execution. (Most Masons, admittedly, never would dream of carrying out these punishments on themselves or on an errant member).

Historically, one of Masonry’s primary objectives has been the destruction of the Catholic Church; this is especially true of Freemasonry as it has existed in certain European countries. In the United States, Freemasonry is often little more than a social club, but it still espouses a naturalistic religion that contradicts orthodox Christianity. (Those interested in joining a men’s club should consider the Knights of Columbus instead.)**

The Church has imposed the penalty of excommunication on Catholics who become Freemasons. The penalty of excommunication for joining the Masonic Lodge was explicit in the 1917 code of canon law (canon 2335), and it is implicit in the 1983 code (canon 1374).

Because the revised code of canon law is not explicit on this point, some drew the mistaken conclusion that the Church’s prohibition of Freemasonry had been dropped. As a result of this confusion, shortly before the 1983 code was promulgated, the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith issued a statement indicating that the penalty was still in force. This statement was dated November 26, 1983 and may be found in 13/27 (Nov. 15, 1983), 450.

Nifty patches are no substitute for the Truth, which they do not have .

That is not why the Church forbids membership in the Masons.

The reason the Church forbids membership is because they are a heretical group that espouses beliefs that are not compatible with the Catholic faith. You cannot serve God and mammon, you cannot be a Catholic and a Mason.

They did not tell you the truth. Catholics are forbidden to join the Masons.

The told you a lie.

And, the fact that a delusional man who founded a made up religion got some of his ideas from the Masons is supposed to… what?.. inspire us?

More the reason to stay away from the group.

Then, you need to study the Church’s documents and the history of the Masons. They are not benign and they are not harmless. And, Catholics may not join their groups.

From their point of view this statement is accurate. There is no masonic stricture preventing catholics from joining the masons. There is, however, such a stricture from the Catholic perspective. Catholics are forbidden to be members of secret societies, including masonic groups.

The situation is not unlike those protestant churches who practice open communion. Such churches offer communion to everybody (some do have some limitations) including Catholics, regardless as to the fact that those Catholics who accept this invitation do so in serious disobedience to their own Church.

They have a violent history. The French revolution being a prime example. Just as well, they were behind major scandles in early American history.

Yep, harmless old geezers.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_Due

BTW, if you’ve ever seen these harmless old geezers perform their funeral rite, you’ll feel like you’re in the middle of a Heaven’s Gate cult meeting.:wink:

I consider the title of this thread insulting to us old Catholic geezers. If you’re lucky, you, too, might get to be an old geezer someday.

I am Catholic (although Im kinda Gnostic now)and I am a Mason.

It is possible to be both. Animosity exists between the Church and Masonry for a lot of reasons but I dont believe the two cant go together. It isnt a religion, although you must believe in one God. It isnt a conspiracy. Its pretty much a lot like the Knights of Columbus only it focuses less on religion and more on becomeing better men. Thats all it really is.

I’m so glad you know better than the Church which speaks for Christ on such matters. You can be a Catholic, you can be a Mason, but you can’t rightly be both - neither can you be ‘kinda gnostic’ and be a Catholic either. Such situations are like being a little bit married to two different spouses.

The Church has spoken and it knows more about both the Masons and gnosticism than you ever will.

ABSOLUTELY NOT. The first requirement to be a Knight is that one be a practical Catholic gentleman at least 18 years of age. The Catholic Church forbids her members from joining secret societies such as masonic groups. A Catholic man who does so acts in serious disobedience to his Church, such act being the hallmark of neither a practical Catholic nor an honorable gentleman of any faith.

I do not expect masonic groups to understand or respect this duty. They seem to have no problem with their members behaving duplicitly toward their own faiths in this regard, whether Catholic or otherwise.

Leopard, KC 4th, PGK.

If it makes y’all feel any better, the Fundamentalists quarrel about Fremasonry too.

The bottom line: it’s just a social club for the local guys, but the ritual is pagan and blasphemous. The local guys don’t realize it because they really don’t care much about the content of the ritual, they just enjoy it. (Know any Christians like that? :wink: )

Freemasonry is a religion. Its ritual expressly states that you’ll go to Heaven if you’re a good Mason. Repentance from sin and faith in Christ are totally unnecessary for this “salvation.” Masonic writings claim that Masonry is the original religion from which all others are derived (including Christianity). The local guys don’t know this and they aren’t willing to know it.

The fact that the local guys are fine folks doesn’t mean that the organization is benign.

I hope this helps to clarify the dispute. I was a DeMolay, which is equivalent to “Masonic Youth,” and I found in my later studies that our ritual was a scaled back version of the Masonic rituals. We did the same things in the same way, according to the same internal logic. Having now studied the Masonic rituals and the ancient Near Eastern religions after which they are modeled, I perceive that I understand them as though they were written by my family. I memorized hours of DeMolay ritual as a teenager and it became a part of my adolescent mental development. Freemasonry isn’t mysterious to me. It makes sense if you start with their assumptions. But their assumptions are antichristian.

Catholic old (and young) geezers can join the Knights of Columbus. A finer group of men can not be found!

Knights of Columbus
Founder: Father McGivney
Father Michael J. McGivney was a 29-year-old assistant pastor at St. Mary’s Church in New Haven, Conn., when he founded the Knights of Columbus in 1882. Father McGivney’s holiness, devotion to priestly ministry and work to protect family life provide a powerful spiritual influence for Knights, their family members and a growing number of other Catholics

Father McGivney’s cause for canonization was opened in 1997 by then Archbishop Daniel A. Cronin of Hartford, Conn. Its diocesan phase has been completed. The Congregation for the Causes of Saints at the Vatican is currently reviewing Father McGivney’s life and works and investigating two reported miracles attributed to his intercession
kofc.org/about/history/founder/index.cfm

There is no duplicity. There are no worship services. You dont know what you are talking about. The church doesnt like secret societies because they want to know what everybody is doing. Its none of the churches buisness anyway. It isnt about religion. The Knights of Columbus were formed as a response to Masonry. It is just like it but without the history and with a Catholic overtone. Dont tell me what it is and what it isnt when you arent a Mason. The truth is the Masons go back a long long way since before the time of Christ.

I say I am roman Catholic in the sense that i was confirmed a Catholic but within the past few years Ive been becoming more and more a Gnostic Christian. Thats why I said what I said. The church isnt always right about everything. Its just a human made institution to facilitate the understanding of the teachings of Christ. Christians dont really need it.

Hmm… became a Mason and turned away from the Catholic Church now believing heretical nonsense.

I wonder if there is a correlation? Hmmm…

According to the Gnostic, all matter is evil; therefore, only an inferior being could have created it. Satan is the creator-god of this earth and of man, and is an evil god. To the Gnostics, Satan is Jehovah of the Old Testament! After Jehovah (Satan) creates man and breathes life into him, he creates Eve. The demonic forces see the beauty of Eve, and proceed to rape her. Through this act, she conceives Cain and Abel.

Gnostic beliefs:
The Nag Hummadi find revealed that there was a broad range of beliefs among the various independent Gnostic systems or schools. However, the following points are believed to be generally accurate throughout the movement: Their Role: They believed that they alone truly understood Christ’s message, and that other streams of thought within Christianity had misinterpreted Jesus’ mission and sayings.
Gnosis: Knowledge to them was not an intellectual exercise; it was not a passive understanding of some aspect of spirituality. Rather, knowledge had a redeeming and liberating function that helped the individual break free of bondage to the world. Deity: The Supreme Father God or Supreme God of Truth is remote from human affairs; he is unknowable and undetectable by human senses. She/he created a series of supernatural but finite beings called Aeons. One of these was Sophia, a virgin, who in turn gave birth to an defective, inferior Creator-God, also known as the Demiurge.

(Demiurge means “public craftsman” in Greek.) This lower God is sometimes called Yaldabaoth or Ialdabaoth Jaldabaoth – from Aramaic words meaning “begetter of the Heavens.” This is Jehovah, the God of the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament). He is portrayed as the creator of the earth and its life forms. He is viewed by Gnostics as fundamentally evil, jealous, rigid, lacking in compassion, and prone to genocide. The Demiurge "thinks that he is supreme. His pride and incompetence have resulted in the sorry state of the world as we know it, and in the blind and ignorant condition of most of mankind."
religioustolerance.org/gnostic2.htm
skepticfiles.org/xhate/morm007a.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.